Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,211,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Back in the day.........kids rode the school bus to school rather than driving their own car.
or walked or rode the city bus using a bus pass (in my case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Back in the day,,,,,, they would repair torn and tattered jeans before they would wear them again………. Today you “buy” torn and tattered jeans just for the looks of it.
I had a pair of jeans covered with and held together by patches. With each new rip or tear I patched it up (my favorite pair ) until my mom couldn't take it anymore and threw them out behind my back

Who knew leaving the rips and tears exposed would be a fashion trend in the future...I should have patent that style could have been a bazillionaire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM

8,835 posts, read 21,400,511 times
Back in the day ......

Movies always had two shows (for 50 cents) plus a cartoon . The ushers would come around with their flashlights if you were talking too loud. My friend Lena and I were once asked to leave because our shorts were "too short".

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 20 days ago)

4,736 posts, read 3,316,346 times
Back in the day................nobody locked their doors in our rural area. Now there are break-ins during the day with people home.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,292,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Back in the day................nobody locked their doors in our rural area. Now there are break-ins during the day with people home.
The last time we left our rural house door unlocked was when I was about eight. The screen door was latched which takes only a hard pull to get that open and the other door was open since it was summer (no A/C back then). My dad was on a job out of town. My mother heard the rattle of the door and went straight for the rifle. The intruder ran as she approached with the rifle yelling at him. She locked up the house and waited till daylight to call the sheriff (didn't want to disturb him at night! ). The sheriff told her two things: 1.When someone is trying to break in, shoot first and then call the sheriff. 2.Lock doors and windows every night!

Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 20 days ago)

4,736 posts, read 3,316,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
The last time we left our rural house door unlocked was when I was about eight. The screen door was latched which takes only a hard pull to get that open and the other door was open since it was summer (no A/C back then). My dad was on a job out of town. My mother heard the rattle of the door and went straight for the rifle. The intruder ran as she approached with the rifle yelling at him. She locked up the house and waited till daylight to call the sheriff (didn't want to disturb him at night! ). The sheriff told her two things: 1.When someone is trying to break in, shoot first and then call the sheriff. 2.Lock doors and windows every night!

Your Mom was a brave woman!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,097,569 times
Back in the day,,,,, kids could run around barefoot all summer long without spending $ hundreds of dollars for special tennis shoes!!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,513,927 times
Back-in-the-day.......My-dad-would-buy-us-plastic-sandals-from-Woolworths-to-wear-while-playing-outside-during-the-long-summer-holidays.-I-remember-they-had-a-tread-moulded-in-the-sole.-This-tread-would-be-wore-away-by-the-end-of-the-holidays.-They-were-very-cheap,-great-for-climbing-trees.-No-worries-about-damaging-good-shoes.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Back in the day,,,,, kids could run around barefoot all summer long without spending $ hundreds of dollars for special tennis shoes!!
I loved running around outside barefoot, but my mom forbid me from doing so because we lived in the city and typically sidewalks were covered with all kinds of dangerous items, with that said, I, of course disobeyed her and took my shoes|socks off and guess what??? Yeah, that's right, I stepped on dirty broken glass, didn't tell mom at first, until days later after my foot swelled up, got so infected I couldn't walk and I had to be taken to the ER...lesson learned , no actually I was just more careful when I went barefoot the next time.... oohhh those "kids back-in-the-day"

Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Back-in-the-day.......My-dad-would-buy-us-plastic-sandals-from-Woolworths-to-wear-while-playing-outside-during-the-long-summer-holidays.-I-remember-they-had-a-tread-moulded-in-the-sole.-This-tread-would-be-wore-away-by-the-end-of-the-holidays.-They-were-very-cheap,-great-for-climbing-trees.-No-worries-about-damaging-good-shoes.

Woolworths! We loved that store!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,513,927 times
Hi-Tiluha!!-Yeah,-it-was-a-sad-day-when-the-old-Woolworths-store-closed-in-my-home-town-of-Oldham.-It-was-a-big-two-storey-place.-I-remember-when-I-was-a-kid,-there-was-a-big-record-department-in-there.-Always-full-of-young-teenagers-listening-to-the-latest-Beatles-record!!-I-used-to-buy-candy-in-there-before-going-to-see-a-Saturday-afternoon-movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics