Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 PM

196 posts, read 735,029 times

Advertisements

Ok, don't seem to be much else going on in the area, so let's add a little fun as to our favorite childhood games. If you were like me, you had to makeup the games for entertainment. Games like kick the can, baseball with the ball made out of socks, and the like. What's was your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,310,099 times
Hmmm . . . hide and seek, Red Rover (it goes by various names), throwing rocks at my brother, racing bicycles downhill, blowing up stuff, climbing trees, catching crawfish in the creek, horseshoes (with real horseshoes), shooting BB guns, shooting real guns (my brother and I were allowed to handle guns when we ten years old . . . and were taught what we could and could not shoot with them), badminton on Sunday afternoons, picking apples and cherries, walking in the woods, playing with our beloved dog (who lived to be 18 or 19), jumping off of barn roofs (but only once), making our own bow and arrows and slingshots and making popgun where you used dogwood berries as the bullets. I was the artsy type so I drew pictures (now I draw pictures of skycapers and hospitals and people build them).

We had a lot of walnut trees so we used walnuts as baseballs. It had the distinct advantage of not having to go get them after being hit.

Last edited by alleycat; 10-05-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 AM

849 posts, read 2,967,385 times
Mud ball fights, snow ball fights, capture the flag, dodge ball, kick ball, picking all kind of wild fruit - strawberries, black berries, apples, pears, catching crawfish and eating them, throwing rocks at Alleycats brother - alright I made that last one up, but sounded like something I would do.

Used to also climb old telephone poles along railroad tracks to take off the glass insulators that were used to hold the telephone lines. Catching bull frogs, bass fishing, cat fishing, fishing, riding a skateboard being pulled by a bicycle...

Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
. . . throwing rocks at Alleycats brother - alright I made that last one up, but sounded like something I would do.
We would have been great friends.

I might have even let you read my Marvel comic books. I wish I had them back . . . they would be worth a small fortune now.

When I was a kid at about this time of year we would have been plotting whose pumpkin we were going to steal on Halloween. I once ran across a yard trying to blow out the candle in the Jack-O-Lantern while being chased by an irate father (who was also my Sunday School teacher).

Old 10-05-2007, 05:50 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,714,584 times
Heehee

You little rascals!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,696,476 times
Oh man does this bring back memories. My father, brother and I would sit for HOURS to catch some bull frogs and crawdads, mostly we caught skeeters lol. We swam in a creek nearby which had a small sand bar in it, we caught clams and would bring them home in a bucket. Mom got to toss them when they croaked. Collecting cicada shells, racing dirt bikes all over the mountains, making popcorn balls (YUM), crossing train trestles (EEK), climbing culverts, riding bikes to the nearest town, those were the days! I think I can still climb a tree

Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 AM

24,790 posts, read 28,732,092 times
Throwing rocks!!! BB gun at the pigeons in the silo, and pig riding !! and skinny dipping in old farmers johns pond. Guns!! Yes I think every kid by 10 had shoot some sort of gun and respected what it would do. Use too hunt squirrel and goose.........

Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 AM

Here's some more . . . skipping stones in a creek or pond, sitting out at night in a lawn yard and watching the stars (no, not Britney Spears or Lindsey Lohan), roasting marshmellow over a campfire, shooting firecrackers on the 4th of July, "fixing" the old lawn mower engine (not that one ever worked again after we got ahold of it), craving our initials in a beech tree (I can still tell you were to find C.A.+J.P. on a tree), sword fighting with tobacco sticks, playing "hunter and hunted" in our fifty acre backyard, and one that my father remembered for years afterwards (I must have watched too many old Tarzan shows); I would dig a trap pit in the woods (for all those lions and tigers roaming around Tennesseee), cover it with sticks, twigs, and leaves and then wait to catch the first wild animal that came along . . . which usually turned out to be my dad. During this phase of my childhood my dad claimed he couldn't take a walk in the wood without falling into one of my traps. He was easy to catch . . . but hard to skin.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Throwing rocks!!! BB gun at the pigeons in the silo, and pig riding !! and skinny dipping in old farmers johns pond. Guns!! Yes I think every kid by 10 had shot some sort of gun and respected what it would do. Use to hunt squirrel and goose.........
I think I got my own shotgun at age twelve. Paid for with my own money. I still have the thing too . . . a Stevens 20 gauge pump.

I wish you would come hunt some of these Canadian geese over at MetroCenter . . . there's a couple of hundred of them and they like to take s-l-o-w, s-l-o-w-w-w-w walks across the road. Never honk at the darn things; if you do they'll all stop and stare back at you (I guess to them a car horn sounds like their cousin Louie from Manitoba).

Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,287,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
Ok, don't seem to be much else going on in the area, so let's add a little fun as to our favorite childhood games. If you were like me, you had to makeup the games for entertainment. Games like kick the can, baseball with the ball made out of socks, and the like. What's was your favorite?
Potsy-- but I'm not sure if it was a local thing. It's like hopscotch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics