Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 AM

390 posts, read 1,707,645 times

Advertisements

The girls and boys played games together in our neighborhood and had so much fun! I was the younger sister, and I just had to keep up with big brother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,047,440 times
We had a volunteer fire department in town (very small town) and one year they replaced all of their old fire hoses. We (all the kids hanging around) were able to get the old hoses and take them to the city park. We didn’t play in the well equipped city park, but we did play in the area of trees along the edge of the park and the railroad tracks. This was the perfect place to take all of the fire hose and place them up in the trees; hanging them from one to the other and making a very complex system of ways to get from tree to tree without getting down on the ground.

We could climb into the trees and move around playing tree tag; chasing each other on the limbs and then the fire hose to the next tree. Lots of fun, and no one ever got hurt. It didn’t cost the city any money and we had fun staying off of the streets. The city paid thousands of dollars in playground equipment but we never used it, we used old fire hoses.

In those days kids would enjoy playing with an old large cardboard box more then a hi-tech handheld gameboy.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:58 AM

196 posts, read 735,029 times
As for catching lightening bugs, I would put them in the jar with the lid with holes in it and save it for the peddler who came by weekly in an old school bus selling staple food items or trading a chicken or canned goods for some. He would give me a candy bar for those lightening buys. Wonder what he did with them?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,310,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
As for catching lightening bugs, I would put them in the jar with the lid with holes in it and save it for the peddler who came by weekly in an old school bus selling staple food items or trading a chicken or canned goods for some. He would give me a candy bar for those lightening buys. Wonder what he did with them?
It used to be that you could sell them. They used them for either some kind of medical test, or for a science experiment (I can't remember exactly what).

Old 10-05-2007, 02:10 PM

24,790 posts, read 28,732,092 times
Arrow Canadian geese

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I think I got my own shotgun at age twelve. Paid for with my own money. I still have the thing too . . . a Stevens 20 gauge pump.

I wish you would come hunt some of these Canadian geese over at MetroCenter . . . there's a couple of hundred of them and they like to take s-l-o-w, s-l-o-w-w-w-w walks across the road. Never honk at the darn things; if you do they'll all stop and stare back at you (I guess to them a car horn sounds like their cousin Louie from Manitoba).
That's what happens when you feed them by hand.....

Old 10-05-2007, 02:34 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,191,104 times
The all time favorite for my sister and I was making a house, castle whatever out of chairs, sheets, towels, tables any thing handy. Then of course we would play inside with our imaginary friends. This is still a favorite with the small children I take care of.

At school I remember red rover, 4 square, dogde ball, red light green light, mother may I, hopscotch, ring games (like "One Day as I was Walking"), jumping rope and lots of others. Many of these games are no longer played at elementary schools. Whenever I have subbed I was always trying to teach old games. The kids often feel they are too sophisticated to play these games or that the games take too much work. Some of these kids have no stamina.

Sometimes at home our little gang of girls would just roll down the hill, or walk along the wall then jump off.

Last edited by GoddessofRandomThoughts; 10-05-2007 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: spelling, spelling, spelling

Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,393,271 times
Playing living room rugby with my older brother. The try line was between my Mum's chair and the end of the sofa. The ball was a bunch of rolled socks. Basically you just had to bulldose your way through against your opponent and score a try. When you converted it you had to kneel on the floor and try and flick it with your foot. Wow, it was so much fun. Wasn't too keen on the rug burns on the knees and elbows!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,256,155 times
Mother May I, Simon Says, Red Light, Green Light, Hopscotch, Four Square, Jump Rope, Hide 'n Go Seek, Duck, Duck, Goose, and using chairs, sheets, pillows and the like and making "rooms" from them under the sheets.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:01 PM

196 posts, read 735,029 times
ANother memory was the time I built a rabbit box to catch rabbits in the garden and all I caught was a skunk. Wow did that stink......

Old 10-06-2007, 07:33 PM

2,885 posts, read 2,003,803 times
Playing all these games when you could still smell burning leaves after having been raked, placed in the street gutter and lit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics