Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just last night we received word that my beloved brother-in-law is back stateside after his second year long tour in Afghanistan

THIS is what we are extremely grateful and thankful for this Thanksgiving
And that, in a nutshell, is exactly what Thanksgiving is for! He's home and he's safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Reminds me of my dad's last Thanksgiving - at a V.A. hospital in Chicago. Shortly thereafter, I was able to get him moved to a wonderful hospice center in my town, where he spent his last 34 days in relative comfort, surrounded by loving caregivers and family members. We celebrated Thanksgiving again in mid-December in his new and last home (hospice). That is a sweet memory.
Aww.... hugs

Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We have to work every other Thanksgiving and when we have Thurs/Fri off, that means we work Sat/Sun. That being said, I am super thankful I have this Thanksgiving Day off because my parents are back in the country for the first time in years to celebrate it. I am also thankful because my brother and his wife will not be spending Thanksgiving traveling like they normally like to. And finally, I am super thankful that when I do have to work Thanksgiving, my work family always brings TONS of food and good cheer.
So you are blessed all the way around! So glad you will have all that family this year!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
And that, in a nutshell, is exactly what Thanksgiving is for! He's home and he's safe.
I agree!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 AM

737 posts, read 1,037,015 times
Post Thanksgiving Forecast

Part of our tradition is the reading of the Thanksgiving Forecast!

Thanksgiving Forecast

Turkeys will thaw in the morning, then warm in the oven to an afternoon high near 190F. The kitchen will turn hot and humid, and if you don’t bother the cook, be ready for a severe squall or cold shoulder. During the late afternoon and evening, the cold front of a knife will slice through the turkey, causing an accumulation of one to two inches on plates. Mashed potatoes will drift across one side while cranberry sauce creates slippery spots on the other. Please pass the gravy. A weight watch and indigestion warning have been issued for the entire area, with increased stuffiness around the beltway. During the evening, the turkey will diminish and taper off to leftovers, dropping to a low of 54F in the refrigerator. Looking ahead to Friday and Saturday, high pressure to eat sandwiches will be established. Flurries of leftovers can be expected both days with a 50 percent chance of scattered soup late in the day. We expect a warming trend where soup develops. By early next week, eating pressure will be low as the only wish left will be the bone.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
Thanksgiving is the opportunity to eat pie and dressing without guilt being thankful all for the benefit of others

Old 11-20-2011, 05:24 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just last night we received word that my beloved brother-in-law is back stateside after his second year long tour in Afghanistan

THIS is what we are extremely grateful and thankful for this Thanksgiving

So happy to hear!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Reading all these posts i've come to the realization. that I can no longer tolerate the annual Thanksgiving or Christmas at my MIL's house.

We go there every year, bring tons of food and hear nothing but complaints from the same people every year about the same thing. If you don't like onions, then don't eat the damn potato salad! How hard is that?

Then, my MIL starts her crap, she complains because i'm not in her tiny kitchen washing dishes with 5 other people. I prefer to clear the tables, put away the extra chairs, set up the dessert table and not get stepped on.

I want peaceful holidays, the kind I remember from my childhood. So, next year, our holidays will be spent at our home with our children and their spouses and my only (so far) granddaughter. Peace and quiet, no more stupid fights, no screaming MIL temper tantrums (she throws things), no more thankless relatives.

I can hardly wait!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Thanksgiving to me is a pivotal turning point that proved the direction the colonist should take. The very first Thanksgiving was the first year of plenty so that no one starved that winter. Take some quiet time and research the way things were done in previous year and what the major change was that created the abundant harvest. Unless you know already as a student of history you will be surprised. It's the history that means everything to me. The holiday and the food I'd never miss. BTW it's not PC to teach this history before college.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:12 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
Here's something to think about this Thanksgiving. And then think how much we have spent on wars in the last ten years, its astounding.

Hunger in America: 2011 United States Hunger and Poverty Facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics