Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know how to swim?
Yes 68 83.95%
No 13 16.05%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I personally know two adults that cannot swim, never learned how. Neither is afraid of water and will venture into the shallow end of a pool or river. I just can't understand how they can play in it and not have enough interest to learn how to swim for the sake of safety. One, a senior now, proclaims she does not have the ability to swim after failing miserably when more than one swim instructor tried to teach her.

Is it possible that there really are people who cannot learn to swim for some unexplained reason?
My cousin tried to teach me for a long time, he made me feel safe in the water. But no matter what, I could never put my head under water without freaking out about it touching my eyes or getting in my nose. He showed me I could float, but I rarely ever did it without holding on to the side of the pool, I couldn't let go. You'd have to like hypnotize or brainwash me if you wanted to teach me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Yes I know how to swim. I used to love it when I was a kid. Now I prefer to just cool down in the water although I would love to scuba dive.

My father never learned how to swim and my mother could but never did.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Since I live next to the Potomac, learning to swim was vital and something everyone did early early on. I agree with the poster who said that if you don't know how to swim you have no business wading in a river. Or kayaking! We just had a drowing here, and the guy was in a kayak without a life vest or knowing how to swim. He was horsing around in the kayak, it tipped over and he drowned. Fool.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
to me it's amazing that the parents would let there kids go into a river that can't swim without life jackets
I agree. God knows the pain they are going through, but there's no excuse for their outright carelessness. Kids that can't swim, adult supervision that can't either, no lifeguards, only one lifejacket, moving water... HELLO???

Of course, the slate article wants to drift the story into the the typical journalist's favorite talking points.. i.e. race, income level, "what government program could fix this", etc.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
I heard about this on the radio the other day and remember thinking, "if none of them knew how to swim, what the heck were they doing in a RIVER?!"
You really need to know your environment too. I remember there were some incidents around here with a local swimming hole, where a number of people have drowned due to a strong undercurrent at certain times of the year. One incident in particular comes to mind in which three fully trained life guards drowned as the fourth sat and watched because the undercurrent was so strong.

I know how to swim, but it's been a really long time since I've had the opportunity to swim. My SO took me to the lake a few weeks ago and I was swimming around, but was really rusty. I used to be an excellent swimmer, but I'm not very confident anymore. I guess I'll have to keep working on it.

Both my siblings can swim too, but my sister is better. My brother was always terrified of water, especially lakes, but he had to learn through the Boy scouts. He can swim now but prefers not to. My dad made sure that at a young age we all knew how to swim.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
I first swam in Pike Lake in July 1994, when I was 7 years old. I was probably one of the later learners in my area. Nowadays, I can't imagine not knowing how to swim, but in retrospect, it took a lot of trial-and-error to get there. Kind of like riding a bike.

As far as I know, white people are more likely to know how to swim than black people, and the drowning victims were all black. I asked a Mexican if most people he knows can swim, and he replied in the negative, though he knows how because "he took classes". I suppose it's really a cultural thing.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:49 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Do you know how to swim?

News, Six teenagers drowned after slipping from a wading area into the deep water of a Louisiana river on Tuesday. None of the victims could swim, nor could the adult bystanders who watched helplessly as the children went under. What percentage of Americans can't swim?

Read More: How many Americans can't swim? - By Brian Palmer - Slate Magazine
That whole thing was crazy, no one should go in a river or stream or lake or pool without knowing how to swim that is just crazy!! Pitiful!!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I agree. God knows the pain they are going through, but there's no excuse for their outright carelessness. Kids that can't swim, adult supervision that can't either, no lifeguards, only one lifejacket, moving water... HELLO???

Of course, the slate article wants to drift the story into the the typical journalist's favorite talking points.. i.e. race, income level, "what government program could fix this", etc.
When I swam in a public pool in Los Angeles in the late 50's early 60's I was the minority and I am white. Ya all we need is a program stating all children should lean to swim and we get to pay for it

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Yes I do. And taught many kids how to. Helps to be an ex lifeguard.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
i've been swimming since i was two years old..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics