Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know how to swim?
Yes 68 83.95%
No 13 16.05%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:30 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,308 times

Advertisements

Most black people don't swim. In a state with so much water , you would think ...
Oh well .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 01:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Most black people don't swim. In a state with so much water , you would think ...
Oh well .
The explanation I've heard for this is that black people didn't have the means to go and learn how to swim for so long, that the practice has been passed down to the other generations.

You know. Grandparents weren't allowed to swim, Parents never learned how, how can they teach their kids.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The explanation I've heard for this is that black people didn't have the means to go and learn how to swim for so long, that the practice has been passed down to the other generations.

You know. Grandparents weren't allowed to swim, Parents never learned how, how can they teach their kids.
How did people learn how to swim before swimming pools?
I never had access to a pool until I was 16. I learned how to swim in a irrigation canal. Pretty damn stupid now that I look back on it.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
How did people learn how to swim before swimming pools?
I never had access to a pool until I was 16. I learned how to swim in a irrigation canal. Pretty damn stupid now that I look back on it.
Children know from birth. You can put a baby in a pool, they'll float, hold their breath, and swim. Its an instinct.

We're born with lots of other instincts as well. However, just like swimming, if you don't exercise them, you forget them.

Thats why I support schools having a basic swimming program, so that all kids have the chance to keep that instinct alive, and themselves.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I grew up around pools so it was a no brainer that we would all learn to swim, and I have family members that actually operate a chain of swim schools. Even though we all know how none of us feels comfortable swimming in rivers or lakes or oceans. Nature is too unpredictable! We may wade in up to our knees at the beach but that's about it.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,308 times
Quote:

LMAO , my friends from Sweden never swam , they all learned together so the children would be safe. Blacks just don't think that way , who can even start to understand.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
LOL,

I think that children should be the one thing that money shouldn't be an issue for. If a kid needs something, physical exercise, after school programs, music classes, swimming lessons, whatever, none of it should be denied them.

Time and time again, nothing proves a better investment than children.
And yet we have a federal government that has racked up a $13 trillion dollar deficit (plus another $1.6 trillion for 2010) for the next generation to pay, with interest. And at the same time, destroyed the ability of the economy to produce jobs by overtaxing and over-regulating. While passing laws that give tax breaks to companies sending our jobs overseas.

I hope the next generation, as 1,000 of them apply for each minimum-wage job opening, have more spine and intelligence than the people who support government today.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,463,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I grew up around pools so it was a no brainer that we would all learn to swim, and I have family members that actually operate a chain of swim schools. Even though we all know how none of us feels comfortable swimming in rivers or lakes or oceans. Nature is too unpredictable! We may wade in up to our knees at the beach but that's about it.
Me too Ceece! I thought I was a GREAT and strong swimmer until I got caught in a REALLY bad riptide off the coast of Long Island (NY) when I was a teen. I was lucky I kept my head and that there was lifeguards on duty. Lesson learned for me. I swim laps in the pool - but in the ocean I wade like a two year old!

Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
When I was young the YMCA offered swimming lessons so they didn't need to rely on the (evil, do-nothing, wasteful, big, etc.) government to do it. It also appears that posters on this thread have much better swimming ability than the general population. But when was the last time you actually swam?

Last edited by pvande55; 08-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Add comment

Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Me too Ceece! I thought I was a GREAT and strong swimmer until I got caught in a REALLY bad riptide off the coast of Long Island (NY) when I was a teen. I was lucky I kept my head and that there was lifeguards on duty. Lesson learned for me. I swim laps in the pool - but in the ocean I wade like a two year old!
Something like that happened to me as a teenager too, at a beach in Santa Cruz! It scared me enough to never go in too deep again.

I like knowing there is a bottom that I can push off of to get back to the top...that's what was missing for those poor kids in the OP article who stepped off the bottom into a 20' drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics