Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,732 times

Advertisements

Basically, do you think the Orlando Metro Area or Tampa Metro Area could one day over develop like South Florida, and be home to an enormous Caribbean/S. American/ Latin American population? A popultion where Spanish/Creole/Patios is widespread, and in some areas the main language to communicate? Do you think, The Central Florida region could become a region where many areas are rundown (meaninig people don't take pride in their homes, cars in parked yards, bad schools, etc...) and polluted, and 1-2 blocks away are Upper class/ Middle Class homes and schools.

I would like any inputs on this question. Be as descriptive as you want. I am moving to FL in August, and although I have made up my mind, I for one feel that Central FL will evetually mimic it's Southern city Miami in many ways...Answers from Native Floridians would be great, or even people who have moved down to Orlando/Tampa in the last 2-3yrs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Wow, the racism here. I won't even call it undertones.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,006 times
Is Patio a racist term? Your own version of the Porch Monkey or something? Really, I don't know and search engines aren't finding anything to help me figure out what a Patio is in terms of a group of people...

Anyways despite your extreme racism right down to calling yourself a Coolie...
Orlando cannot overdevelop because thats a subjective question. I don't even consider Miami and South Florida to be overdeveloped. Cities I consider overpopulated are primarily in India and China. I've lived in Orlando and Miami and I find it highly amusing that you're description of Miami is rundown as seen by cars parked in yards. I've never once seen that in Miami while parts of Orlando (Bithlo for example) have been that way for a long time. As for your concern with the growing Latin population, yes it most likely will occur. There already are parts of the metro that are predominately spanish speaking. The two primary employers in Orlando are both easily accessible for lower class people: nursing and service. Not to say Nursing is an easy profession but its one that you can get into just through a community college. For someone such as yourself that clearly doesn't want to be around expatriates you should consider someplace else.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Wow, the racism here. I won't even call it undertones.

What is racist about my Post?

Last edited by coolieandre; 04-06-2010 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Is Patio a racist term? Your own version of the Porch Monkey or something? Really, I don't know and search engines aren't finding anything to help me figure out what a Patio is in terms of a group of people...

Anyways despite your extreme racism right down to calling yourself a Coolie...
Orlando cannot overdevelop because thats a subjective question. I don't even consider Miami and South Florida to be overdeveloped. Cities I consider overpopulated are primarily in India and China. I've lived in Orlando and Miami and I find it highly amusing that you're description of Miami is rundown as seen by cars parked in yards. I've never once seen that in Miami while parts of Orlando (Bithlo for example) have been that way for a long time. As for your concern with the growing Latin population, yes it most likely will occur. There already are parts of the metro that are predominately spanish speaking. The two primary employers in Orlando are both easily accessible for lower class people: nursing and service. Not to say Nursing is an easy profession but its one that you can get into just through a community college. For someone such as yourself that clearly doesn't want to be around expatriates you should consider someplace else.
WoooW Enderdrift....I love how right off the bat you are READY to start talking about racism.....

I need you to first explain how my post is racist? I don't see where I was racist at all in writing my post... It seems as though you made the connection of racism in your head from your own assumptions....Read the whole context and not pieces to form your opinion. Second, Patios is broken English. Natives call it Patwa but the correct spelling is Patios...And third yes, coolie is a derogatory term in India but that is a nickname or pet name elsewhere in Caribbean countires with Indian ancestry. Just like the Term Dougla for Trinidad and Guyana and parts of Brazil mainly in Bahia....

Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 PM

Just to clarify for others and Endersdrift again, I'm wondering if Central FL will gain numerious Latino/Carib/S. American population. Also, I'm curious to know if you think Central FL will develop like parts of S. Florida where you have rundown areas a few blocks away from middle/high class area....

Those 2 things are separate, and No way am I saying rundown areas will develop because of Latino/Carib/S. American people as Endersdrift took it.... Thanks for any responses again

Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Miami development is attracted to the coast with only a few miles inland to develope on. It has no room to seperate the poor and the rich. In that aspect central FL and south FL are different. Orlando has urban centers with room to develop more efficiently around them. As for the Latin population, yes there is already a pretty large Latin population in Orlando but you can get around all areas of Orlando fine with only knowing English. The Latin population is getting more affluent here everyday, and the kids of the Latin people here right now all speak perfect English due to esol in the schools, some don't even know how to speak Spanish. As of now White is still the majority in metro Orlando, and with the economy diversifying with better jobs I can also see the population diversifying and becoming more affluent no matter the persons race. There is always going to be a large latin population here and there will always be a large white population and a growing population of other ethnic groups. I don't think Central FL will ever get Like how Miami is when it comes to the overwelming majority of latins, esp poor ones who can't speak English. Miami will always be the gateway to Latin America.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Miami development is attracted to the coast with only a few miles inland to develope on. It has no room to seperate the poor and the rich. In that aspect central FL and south FL are different. Orlando has urban centers with room to develop more efficiently around them. As for the Latin population, yes there is already a pretty large Latin population in Orlando but you can get around all areas of Orlando fine with only knowing English. The Latin population is getting more affluent here everyday, and the kids of the Latin people here right now all speak perfect English due to esol in the schools, some don't even know how to speak Spanish. As of now White is still the majority in metro Orlando, and with the economy diversifying with better jobs I can also see the population diversifying and becoming more affluent no matter the persons race. There is always going to be a large lation population here and there will always be a large white population and a growing population of other ethnic groups. I don't think Central FL will ever get Like how Miami is when it comes to the overwelming majority of latins, esp poor ones who can't speak English.
Good Connection...I never looked at it like that with Miami being attached to the coast, and having to mix rich with poor. I have to admit that is one thing I dislike about S. Florida, how there are so many nice areas intermixed with rough area.... As for Spanish being "on the come up" in Orlando, I actually feel that is good, and gives Bilinguals an Edge... But in reference to S. Florida, I've read many articles about a housing shortage and how many newly developed suburban communities are pumping the Everglades just to give S. Florida the single family homes, that many people want...

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Good Connection...I never looked at it like that with Miami being attached to the coast, and having to mix rich with poor. I have to admit that is one thing I dislike about S. Florida, how there are so many nice areas intermixed with rough area.... As for Spanish being "on the come up" in Orlando, I actually feel that is good, and gives Bilinguals an Edge... But in reference to S. Florida, I've read many articles about a housing shortage and how many newly developed suburban communities are pumping the Everglades just to give S. Florida the single family homes, that many people want...

Well of course. The Latin population is growing all over the US not just FL. I don't see a Latin take over in central FL like what happened in Miami, I see the Latin population growing, but other races will still be largely represented in the area, just like the rest of the cities in the US. Esp sunbelt cities

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,006 times
...Please this was your original question:
Miami is a run down minority town will Orlando become a run down minority town to?

If you meant something else thats fine but reword your first post rather than pretending it isn't laced with racism.

I've lived in Orlando and Miami. Miami does not at all have areas mixed between rich and poor any more than Orlando does. If anything its less mixed between income levels than Orlando. I think its largely because Latin culture is more receptive to living with family for longer periods of time so while the individual may be a blue collar worker you have the help of your whole family to pay for a nice house.

I also think a big misconception is that if the person doesn't speak English they must not be as wealthy. They probably aren't extremely wealthy but in Miami a person can have a very good job without speaking a word of English.

Do I think Orlando will ever be that way? Absolutely. There's already people with jobs that don't speak much if any English and not just Spanish but Vietnamese and Thai and a growing Korean population. All someone has to do is open a nicer service catering specifically to their people and you'd have a person making good salary while not speaking English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando