Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM

24 posts, read 52,914 times

Advertisements

I am looking at north Florida & central Florida as a place to relocate. We now live in south Florida and its seems like the northern parts of Florida is doing much better than southern part of the state. i would like to here from people who live in north and central Florida. would like to know about the best neighborhoods and good school district. i am a tradesman and from what i can see the north and central parts of the state is doing OK not to mention that its much cheaper that south Florida to live. all comment are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
The panhandle of the state especially seems to be doing better in terms of jobs. The Crestview-Fort Walton Beach-Destin area has an unemployment rate sitting at 5.7%, which is 2.5% below the rest of the state. The school system in the area (Okaloosa County) is one of the Top 10 school districts in the state, with Fort Walton Beach and Niceville as the best sub-districts. The cost of living would definitely be less than you're accustomed to.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Grew up in Central Florida, went to school in North Florida (Gainesville, ok North Central Florida), and have lived in South Florida. Speaking from my own experiences here's my take. North Florida is significantly smaller and slower paced than the SFL and CFL. It is also significantly cheaper. Things move alot slower and it certainly has much more of southern feel to it. Generally a very conservative area unless you're in the college areas. Beautiful weather and natural scenery.

CFL is very similar in some ways to SFL but still has some very distinct differences. Alot of the same problems found in SFL are found here, traffic, crime, competitive job environment, high cost of housing etc. Although it is cheaper to live in CFL it is not nearly as significant as the difference as NFL. However, jobs may be more likely since this is a major metro area. It's a moderate area, fairly diverse and continually growing. Schools here really depend on the districts. Some public schools are just as good as any private you could send your kids to, Seminole county overall has a strong reputation for their schools, the best being Lake Brantley, Lake Mary, Oviedo and Haggerty. Orange county has some really good and some not so good schools, the best being Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, Boone and Lake Nona.

I would say minimum rent for a 3/2 single family home in a good school district would be a minimum of $1200/month. The good schools are really scattered throughout the area but it's best to find your job location than look for a good school around it as traffic and commute are always major factors in quality of living here. Overall the lifestyle here in CFL is not too different from SFL except it's not as crowded, a little slower paced and just smaller overall. That's not to say there aren't noticeable difference, you will have to go through an adjustment period but you certainly won't go into culture shock. Although I must say the weather is a little cooler and nicer here. I just got back from SFL and it was a little hot for my liking. I would say overall, moving from SFL to CFL is an easy transition.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
I can definitely recommend Tallahassee (even though I'm planning to leave here in the next year to move to central Florida, but that's for family reasons). This is a great place to raise a family, and there's lots to do, with FSU, FAMU, and TCC here. If you like the outdoors, we have wonderful advantages in hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, caving, kayaking ... on and on. If you like beaches, we have beautiful beaches a reasonable drive away.

This is the south, but with a more modern feel, since we are the state capital and have two major universities and a major community college here. I lived in Miami for 25 years before moving up here, and I can tell you this is a much better place to live. People are friendly, the cost of living is MUCH lower (my car insurance bill was cut in half when we moved here), and if you want to visit Orlando, or Atlanta, or Jacksonville, they are reasonable to get to. Even New Orleans. Some of the schools are terrific (some not so much but you have to do your research).

All you have to do is get yourself a job, and then come on up!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,863 times
Gainesville is an excellent area. The neighborhoods range from student to exclusive communities. Always something going on, many work for the University. Museums, sports, theatre, exceptional range of excellent musical venues! Easy day trip to both coasts, Short trips to Orlando, Jacksonville. Seasons more pronounced but mild. Schools can be dicey, just do your homework and choose wisely. Excellent medical access!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando