Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,685 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy the Maitland/Winter Park area and am considering purchasing a home in the area in the future. I work down on Sand Lake Rd. I am wondering, what kind of commute am I looking at? How bad is it on a daily basis?

Anyone think that the SunRail in the future may actually be a viable alternative to the commute in the future?

I would appreciate any insight, especially from those that make this trek or similar on a daily basis.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
I am not going to say that it is not bad, But it isn't the worst. If you are relying on I-4 then most likely you would end up being stuck in traffic every single day. Mostly because the bad congestion starts in Maitland and ends around Conroy. I truly believe it is bearable though, unless there is complete gridlock. Like this morning Traffic was bad pretty much everywhere! Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM

22 posts, read 36,944 times
I wouldn't worry too much about it, although it depends on your tolerance for spending time on the road and in traffic. I'd recommend trying out the drive in both directions before and after work a few times. If it feels reasonable, then your problem is solved.

That being said, if you really love that area, and that's where you'd prefer to live/play, I wouldn't let the commute stop you.

If the SunRail works out and truly eases congestion, that's great. But I wouldn't put much stock in it, yet.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Well you have 2 options, I-4 all the way down to Sandlake or you can take the Maitland Blvd. extension to 429 to the Turnpike than back onto I4 avoiding everything from Maitland to Conroy. It's toll roads but might be worth the time savings. Depending on where on Sand Lake your job will be Sunrail could be very good for you. There is a station right in Maitland with parking available than there's a station right at Sandlake and Orange Ave. If your work is nearby or if they will provide transportation from the station it could work out really well for you. There are also about a million different ways you can get from Maitland/Winter Park to Sand Lake on various back road routes.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
OP, it's not going to be great, especially on a friday afternoon when there are accidents and people trying to get in and out of town.

Why not consider living in Dr Phillips? I can tell you when I had to commute between Altamonte Springs and DP (off sand lake Rd), my commute would be anywhere from 25 mins in the early morning to a solid hour when on a friday afternoon. If you don't mind the potential of a long commute, and the unpredictable nature of it, then that's fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Well you have 2 options, I-4 all the way down to Sandlake or you can take the Maitland Blvd. extension to 429 to the Turnpike than back onto I4 avoiding everything from Maitland to Conroy.
Conroy to sand lake and sand lake through the attractions can be hairy at times, but more so in the afternoon. The OP would be going in the opposite direction, which is likely the same if not worse in traffic.

Last edited by chopchop0; 04-10-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 02:15 PM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
I wouldn't do it (and this is coming from someone who commutes from downtown Orlando to Daytona Beach). Commuting in stop and go traffic is absolutely the worst. Sunrail may be an option.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM

22 posts, read 36,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
OP, it's not going to be great, especially on a friday afternoon when there are accidents and people trying to get in and out of town.

Why not consider living in Dr Phillips? I can tell you when I had to commute between Altamonte Springs and DP (off sand lake Rd), my commute would be anywhere from 25 mins in the early morning to a solid hour when on a friday afternoon. If you don't mind the potential of a long commute, and the unpredictable nature of it, then that's fine

Conroy to sand lake and sand lake through the attractions can be hairy at times, but more so in the afternoon. The OP would be going in the opposite direction, which is likely the same if not worse in traffic.

Agreed. Going through the Universal attractions can be quite Harry at times...

Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM

217 posts, read 326,087 times
It'll be a terrible commute for you if you're depending on going I-4 West in the morning and then I-4 East in the late afternoon. Double whammy. If you love the area you want to live in though, and you're a patient person, go for it.

SunRail may help you when it's built. But putting that option to the side, just know you're going to be stuck in bad traffic every work day and even on the weekends at times too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando