Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 PM

109 posts, read 341,790 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate some ideas of SAFE (most important to me!) areas where my husband could get to a job on Sand Lake Road in Tangelo Park without too much hassle.

He's willing to drive far as long as it's fast. It's the stopping and starting that makes him nuts. He wouldn't blink at a 40 minute drive as long as he was underway most of that time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:14 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,442 times
I would suggest Dr. Phillips or even Hunter's Creek. It is a pretty short drive from both and both are safe (with Dr. Phillips being the superior area).

Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 52,558 times
Quickest way out is Kirkman to I4 to the Turnpike. This quickly brings you either North-West, or south east of Orlando. Both areas are very good.

In the morning going east on Sand Lake (from Dr. Phillips) is a disaster. Worse, trying to get back to Dr. Philips at night.

Find a place close to a Turnpike exit, or Clermont???

Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
If you are an ANY Central Florida road between 4-7 you will stop and start. There's no way around it. I work 11 miles away from downtown and it takes me 45 minutes to get home. Stop, start, stop start, slam on brakes, start. Just a way of life down here you have to get used to. I agree with Dr. Phillips if you can afford it. It will still be stop and go and Sand Lake backs up like crazy in the mornings.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM

109 posts, read 341,790 times
Is the Turnpike jammed during rush hour, or clear sailing?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
The turnpike is scary and dangerous to be honest. When I lived in St Cloud I used to take it every morning and it just became so dangerous and always backing up that I almost lost my mind. However I know since I have moved they made more lanes....so maybe now it is different. Hopefully someone can give more recent advise about it. I would rather drive on I-4 anyday than the turnpike. It was a nightmare. (I must state I was taking it Southeast to St. Cloud, not sure about the other way.)

Old 03-20-2009, 03:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I have to agree with Dr. Phillips. it would be really close and if you are just looking for a small place there are some really affordable condos and town homes there presently. Homes tend to be higher, like in the upper 300's but they are pretty nice, schools are solid and the area is convenient. It has my vote.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
Both Windermere, and Winter Garden would offer an ok commute to Sandlake aswell via the turnpike with excellent access and great prices. We live in that area and my wife makes the same commute and it takes her 30 min on the turnpike. I4 is a beastwhile other rds arnt so bad. Keep in mind, it seems no-one else has ever compared rush hour traffic to anywhere else. Rush hour traffic everywhere is bad. Orlando is no exception and is no better or worse in my opinion. Everyone seems to think that rush hour traffic everywhere else isnt bad. It is, its called rush hour traffic for a reason people....lol

Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 17,547 times
I can't believe anyone in this city would EVER prefer to drive on I-4 than the turnpike. That just totally blows my mind. I doubt that anyone would ever agree with that.

I live in St. Cloud and work at Universal (which isn't far from Sand Lake). It takes me 35 minutes door to door and I travel the turnpike averaging 80 mph.

Sand Lake rd. is a bear with traffic, however, the majority of that is down by the attractions, so at the intersection of I-drive.

Anywhere southeast of Orlando with easy access to the turnpike I would recommend. St. Cloud, Kissimmee, Hunters Creek all good areas. I bought a house in St. Cloud 2 years ago and got 1800 sq feet with a huge lot in a new development for a fraction of what I would pay in Orange County. And I specifically looked for somewhere I didn't have to get on I-4 ever again. That is a scarry and ridiculously busy highway that is congested 90% of the time. Useless.

If you move to somewhere just off the turnpike, you would get off the highway at Orange Blossom Trail near Florida Mall and drive up Sand Lake that way. There are also other options for getting to the SAnd Lake area from the turnpike (when it's christmas season, you may elect to stay away from the mall area).

Good luck, let us know if we can help.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 PM

216 posts, read 913,596 times
I just answered your other post about Lockheed. My husband works there, we live in Dr. Phillips. LOVE it. Couldn't have picked a better location for working at Lockheed, being in a quiet, safe neighborhood with great schools, yet SO close to everything. We are grateful to this board for recommending Dr. Phillips when we relocated last summer.

My husband goes into work at 6 a.m. so he doesn't have any traffic in the a.m.
Around 5:00 until maybe 6:30 or so, it does get pretty busy around Sand Lake Rd, it usually takes him 15 - 20 minutes to get home and it is about 7 - 8 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando