Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times

Advertisements

So I will be driving up to Davenport FL from Miami this weekend starting off in NW Miami-Dade. Google is giving me two routes both the same time and just a few miles apart in length. I am leaving Miami Friday afternoon, and Davenport late Sunday Morning.
Two routes are:

Turnpike to West Osceola to 530 237 miles 4 hours and 15mins, I have done MIA-ORL drives in under 3.5 though, or,

Turnpike to Yehaw to 60West to US27 212 miles 4 hours.

It do find it amusing that google is telling me just getting right onto to US-27 is the quickest route. I may take that route on Sunday the way back if I do not have anything to do on Sunday a bit more scenic than the most boring highway in the world the FL Turnpike also ever since I was a kid their used to be a sign in Miami that said "Haines City 220miles... " Ever since then I have always wanted to take 27 to Hains City , but may just not have the time this time around.

Anyway given that I would be in the Orlando area around rush hour is the Turnpike route still the quickest? If traffic is good I would be going around 80mph. Where I am going is right off US-27.

I would imagine taking the Turnpike to West Osceola to 530 is the better of the two?

Thanks for the help!

(mods: I posted this in Florida general forum with little luck, please feel free to delete my other thread, trying to see if orl can get me any info, thanks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
US 27 is full of stoplights and cops, especially around Lake Wales and Haines City. Haines City also has several red-light cameras that will mail a $158 ticket to your house if you get caught.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
US 27 is full of stoplights and cops, especially around Lake Wales and Haines City. Haines City also has several red-light cameras that will mail a $158 ticket to your house if you get caught.
Very true...

BUT..

For the OP... If you have time, try taking US 27 all the way up. It's certainly a more interesting drive than the coma inducing TPK. Cheaper too!!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
You won't be hitting 80- mph on the Turnpike during rush hour.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Very true...

BUT..

For the OP... If you have time, try taking US 27 all the way up. It's certainly a more interesting drive than the coma inducing TPK. Cheaper too!!
The weather is suppose to be great on Sunday, I may take it all the way down depending on the time. I would imagine it would not add too much more time to the drive?
Will make sure not to speed in the towns. As for the red light cameras they are all over the place down in Miami too, used to those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I expect that near Orlando that is for sure. Hopefully wont be too bad before I get close to the city. I'll see what the GPS tells me, most likely would be the turnpike. I am thinking Turnpike up and hopefully if I have time US-27 down back south.

Thanks for the info. Hope to take 27 all the way down, seems like a nice ride compared to as I said the most boring road known on this planet the Florida Turnpike.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 02-09-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If he goes on the weekend, he may be able to. Sometimes I reverse commute out of Orlando on the turnpike heading south, and it's smooth sailing even during the week.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,393 times
I just came from clermont a couple of days ago, and I took the turn pike up and us 27 back. It was actually quicker driving us 27/and a lot cheaper, that will be the way I go from here on out.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin charles View Post
I just came from clermont a couple of days ago, and I took the turn pike up and us 27 back. It was actually quicker driving us 27/and a lot cheaper, that will be the way I go from here on out.
US 27 is painful sound of I-4.... lots of stop lights and small towns

Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
I've been taking US 27 to and from Orlando from Miami for the last couple of years and I honestly don't miss the turnpike.It obviously takes at least an extra 30-45 minutes more than the turnpike depending on how many lights you have to stop at but I think the positives outweigh those extra minutes.First of all it's free,second it's not as boring,the towns around the lake are pretty cruddy but once you get to Lake Placid/Sebring the towns have more to see.Also if you're destination is Disney once you get to I-4 you're like a 5 minute drive on I-4 from Disney.Being able to avoid that drive on the turnpike from Kissimmee to Ft.Pierce alone is worth it.I do agree that you should slow down in the towns,if you're somebody who needs to drive 80+ stick to the turnpike although there are plenty of cops there as well.I did get one ticket in Clewiston once but it wasn't for speeding,I got stopped like at 1am coming back to Miami for the light being out on my tag.

Last edited by doom1001; 03-27-2014 at 11:41 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 11:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Does US 27 have a median througout the road? I am kind of afraid of those type of roads where people coming in the opposite direction can use your lane to pass and then head-on collisions occur. I already saw that type of collision once (Krome ave) and was traumatized like for two months. I am especially concerned with that stretch between Palm Beach and sebring where I don't see any towns in Google maps. I would only use it one way though, no way in hell I would take that route twice. I just want to visit some of those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando