Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 15,503 times

Advertisements

I've heard there are a lot of break-ins as a regular occurrence in many subdivisions in Clermont (Lake County) and Davenport (Polk County). Even the nicer subdivs like Orange Tree on US 27 in Lake County seem to get robbed regularly due to the transient nature of vacation rental property.

Assuming one doesn't live in a gated community with an actual guard checking things at the gate (communities with just a gate seem like a bit of a joke, because anyone can piggyback their way in), what precautions should one take? I haven't seen many subdivision in that area, at least ones I could afford to live in, with guards.

* Having a security system seems like a good idea; but I've heard it pays to purchase monitoring; because otherwise, the noise is just something neighbors (who may be weekly rentals and not long-term residents) learn to ignore like car alarms. How much does monitoring typically cost in the area?

* Probably makes sense to install sensor lights; but I don't know how much of a deterrent this is

What other things can one due to make sure one's property is just a bit less of a target? With all the homes to choose from, what might make a crook more likely to move on to another house? Not interested in gun ownership--not an option. Presume you do have a rental property and it is vacant.

Does a home's proximity to a major road (like US 27 in Lake County) make it more likely for a house to get knocked off (quick escape)? Or the reverse, e.g. a home being far, far into a subdivision; where perhaps there's less activity and move cover.

Wondering if there are any general trends. If anyone has any good links to sites about home security, please post them.

Although I'm much more concerned about violent crime, e.g. someone breaking in with the intention to do harm, I'm supposing most of the subdivision crime is committed by low lifes looking for "opportunities", e.g. stealing LCD TVs and computers. Material things can be replaced. Lives cannot. Hoping most of the violent crime is perpetrated low-life against low-life. But I imagine a break-in could quickly turn violent if a robber got startled and didn't realize a house was occupied.

I'm suspicious of the "old school" techniques of timer lights. Is there any evidence that these actually prevent break-ins? Or could they even add to insecurity, e.g. if you see a light turn on at the same time each day, you might be more certain no one is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 04:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,503 times
Default Cctv

Any ideas? I see CCTV systems in warehouse stores like Sam's Club and BJs. Wonder if most HOAs in the area would allow them. How would running one's own CCTV system compare with paying for active monitoring on a traditional security system?

Surely someone out there must have opinions on the topic, since it seems like break-ins (esp. of vacant vacation homes) are common (relative to other parts of the country).

Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM

238 posts, read 742,677 times
Check out a book store or any of the on-line book sellers for: "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Home Security" It's pretty comprehensive, there's a lot of things to consider.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
There's a big difference between the communities in unincorporated Lake County with a Clermont mailing address and those actually in the city limits of Clermont. Short-term rentals are not allowed within the city limits, so there is minimal transience and break-in's are far less common.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:25 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,020 times
shotguns, handguns, rifles, etc.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:28 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,163 times
It's not hard to run a CCTV system as most are now plug & play and bought in packages of 1 to 8 cameras and can be view by most all home computers or laptops and smartphones.

I recommend all 2nd home or vacation home buyers (not a bad idea for all home buyers) have a system that records and up-links to the net at the same time for real time viewing.

Hope this helps,

Old 09-19-2010, 09:45 AM

73 posts, read 157,414 times
Do invest in a home security system and display those signs in both front and back yards as well as stickers on doors and windows. Outdoor lights are a must as are prickly landscaping near windows. (Holly bushes are great.) All of these suggestions were given to me by a man who was arrested several times for home burglaries and eventually spent 7 years in the state penitentiary for his last burglary. His wife finally turned him around and he has been 'free' of the demon for 19 years now. His one big piece of advise to me, though, was the alarm system and the signs. He said that he always, always passed up a house with the signs.

Now, I didn't know this person in his burglary days so I can't vouch for his sincerity. However, from those that did know him, I understand his life of crime and incarceration to be true. I also don't know any other past burglars to confirm the advise but he sure made an impression on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
It's not hard to run a CCTV system as most are now plug & play and bought in packages of 1 to 8 cameras and can be view by most all home computers or laptops and smartphones.

I recommend all 2nd home or vacation home buyers (not a bad idea for all home buyers) have a system that records and up-links to the net at the same time for real time viewing.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattyjames111 View Post
Hii,

CCTV security cameras are already proved as a good security guards. They can even record videos as well as audios which can act a great proof for the criminal. And if he is having any idea they you are using cctv cameras then he will not dare to try anything there.
Then explain how so many businesses who are actively using CCTV are robbed and burglarized? The answer is, you can't. CCTV isn't as big of a deterrent as many want to think it is.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 PM

291 posts, read 1,203,822 times
We live in Davenport, off of US 27 and have had no problems that last two years.
The first year we lived in a community with a gate that was not guarded and didn't work half the time, and now we have no gate, so we use BRINKS Home Security.
It's very affordable and although there is not crime in the area I'm in, it still makes me feel better

If you want to see exactly what crime goes on in your area, there is a website that shows ALL crime within 5 miles of your address . Exactly what is was, when it was and where it was. It's SpotCrime

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 PM

18 posts, read 31,564 times
As a security professional, we always use the concept of the layered defense. That is you do NOT rely on any one counter-measure for your security.

Personally, my goal is most always to deter/prevent the crime from occurring in the first place, so the earlier recommendation about putting stickers around is a real good practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando