Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

We have our hotel reserved and our airline tickets paid for. We will be staying in northeast part of the state for a couple of days before and after the event. This will either be great fun or Royal PIA. Or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Sorry to hop onto this thread, but we're going to be staying in the Black Butte Ranch area for the eclipse (only place I could find a room, and this was last year when I was making our reservations). Totality there should be about 1 minute, any thoughts on whether it's worth hopping in the car and getting closer to the center-line?

Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I strongly suggest getting as close to the center line as possible. We are staying about 70 miles North of center but expect (I have yet to tell the sisters (wife and Sister and her Sister)) to get there around dawn to our prelocated spot.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:59 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Sorry to hop onto this thread, but we're going to be staying in the Black Butte Ranch area for the eclipse (only place I could find a room, and this was last year when I was making our reservations). Totality there should be about 1 minute, any thoughts on whether it's worth hopping in the car and getting closer to the center-line?
Well you have a lot of good options to choose from. You could drive east on US-20 to Sisters, then Highway 126 to Redmond, then north on US-97 past Madras to the center line. But I wouldn't recommend that route. Chances are it will be gridlocked, and you would just get stuck farther away from the center line then if you just stayed at Black Butte.

Another option, you could drive west on US-20, then north on Highway 22 to Detroit Lake. It's hard to say what the traffic on that route will be like. But chances are it could end up gridlocked.

A third option, it looks like you could drive straight north on the Forest Roads past Camp Sherman along the east slope of Three Fingered Jack and Mount Jefferson until you get to the center line. It looks like that would be about 25 or 30 miles on the Forest Roads. I think I will try to check that option out myself, and see if my two wheel drive car can make it up those roads. It looks like a really nice drive anyway.

It looks like you would also have a fourth option to drive northeast on the Forest Roads to get to Madras. Of those four options I would say that the third option to just drive straight north would be best. If you get there a day or two in advance you could drive around and look for some good viewing places. You could also ask some locals for some good secret locations that might work.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:30 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
The smoke around Central Oregon is getting fairly thick because of the wildfires in the region.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
The smoke around Central Oregon is getting fairly thick because of the wildfires in the region.
I'm not usually a fan of smoke, but smoke could make for interesting eclipse viewing. It could be natural eye protection. I don't think that smoke would necessarily ruin the eclipse experience, unless you are right in the path of the smoke. Though I suppose it could cut down the clarity of it. Hopefully the fires don't get worse.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I really wouldn't count on the smoke providing "natural eye protection" if you want to be able to drive out of there safely.

While I agree that the smoke won't necessarily ruin the viewing experience per se, some people experience respiratory distress in smoky conditions.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well you have a lot of good options to choose from. You could drive east on US-20 to Sisters, then Highway 126 to Redmond, then north on US-97 past Madras to the center line. But I wouldn't recommend that route. Chances are it will be gridlocked, and you would just get stuck farther away from the center line then if you just stayed at Black Butte.

Another option, you could drive west on US-20, then north on Highway 22 to Detroit Lake. It's hard to say what the traffic on that route will be like. But chances are it could end up gridlocked.

A third option, it looks like you could drive straight north on the Forest Roads past Camp Sherman along the east slope of Three Fingered Jack and Mount Jefferson until you get to the center line. It looks like that would be about 25 or 30 miles on the Forest Roads. I think I will try to check that option out myself, and see if my two wheel drive car can make it up those roads. It looks like a really nice drive anyway.

It looks like you would also have a fourth option to drive northeast on the Forest Roads to get to Madras. Of those four options I would say that the third option to just drive straight north would be best. If you get there a day or two in advance you could drive around and look for some good viewing places. You could also ask some locals for some good secret locations that might work.
It looks like the fire situation on Mt. Jefferson could eliminate the possibility of driving north, unless they get the fire under control soon. It seems those Forest Roads are closed, unfortunately.

Whitewater Fire: Mt Jefferson Wilderness

Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I really wouldn't count on the smoke providing "natural eye protection" if you want to be able to drive out of there safely.

While I agree that the smoke won't necessarily ruin the viewing experience per se, some people experience respiratory distress in smoky conditions.
Yeah, I don't deal well with smoke myself, but I might be able to put up it for a day or two to view the eclipse. A bigger problem I think might be if these fires continue to grow, they could shut down a lot of roads. It's seems a lot of the forest roads and trails are already closed.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
I fail to see how heavy smoke would be good for viewing relatively dim light from stars and a totally eclipsed sun. The smoke is thick enough that we can't see the mountains from Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon