Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 PM

15,507 posts, read 9,207,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
hmmmm just realized I am actually off for the eclipse(several days off in a row actually) and we have a place to stay in Bend....

reading through thread now/ lol....
Bend would be a good place to stay. But you should probably get on the road and head north to Madras really early. Preferably before sunrise, and be prepared for gridlock traffic conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
Yes, the Stae is suspending ALL construction Statewide for the whole week but yes it is still a mostly two lane road. As to your plan of the day before I honestly think that 20 and 26 will be completely full and gridlocked by Saturday.
If US-20 is gridlocked that will be OK. I will be in the path anyway. Next week I'm going to go and find some alternative viewing locations, just incase there is too much congestion to get through to Warm Springs.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 AM

17,680 posts, read 13,494,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thank you for this post. We are staying in Idaho for the eclipse, but called Hilton to resend confirmations and pre-pay.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:01 AM

240 posts, read 255,205 times
If you're not too far away from the path of totality, then you won't miss out by just staying home or camping nearby. The eclipse will attain 99% of totality in Portland, so staying within forty miles of either side of the path of totality means you'll almost entirely enjoy the eclipse while (hopefully) avoiding the crush of eclipse tourists.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
If you're not too far away from the path of totality, then you won't miss out by just staying home or camping nearby. The eclipse will attain 99% of totality in Portland, so staying within forty miles of either side of the path of totality means you'll almost entirely enjoy the eclipse while (hopefully) avoiding the crush of eclipse tourists.
Sorry but this has to be said. A 99% partial eclipse may sound impressive but it is 10,000 times brighter than a total eclipse, and you can't view it with your naked eyes. Partial eclipses are relatively common compared to total eclipses, and most people don't even notice them, when they happen. So with all due respect, I think you will be missing out on a unique event if you are not inside the path of totality.

That said, if it's not possible for you to travel, enjoy the partial eclipse.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,016,591 times
To get an idea of what the eclipse will look like from different locations -

https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator

Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,788,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
To get an idea of what the eclipse will look like from different locations -

https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator
Thanks for posting this; it's a very cool site. I live up in Northern California, but I plan to be attentive on that day. Pretty sure I won't be around for the Total which is to be in 2024.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:04 PM

653 posts, read 1,797,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I forget if this has already been discussed in this thread or if I just read it on the OLive feed - but most of the cases of reservations being canceled were from on-line bookings (like Expedia or Hotels.com) where the customers were booking quite a bit in advance and the hotel hadn't yet gotten around to changing their prices for that day.

Some of the hotels honored the prices and some canceled the reservations. IMO, the hotel was at fault for not planning as far ahead as the customer but I think the hotel operators decided they were okay annoying the heck out of a customer who wasn't likely to be a repeat.
If the hotel thinks it is ok to annoy a customer, that they think is not likely to repeat, they are failing to consider the larger impact, once others become aware of how the hotel behaved.
LOTS of folks are willing to boycott any hotel that failed to honor reservations for eclipse dates.
Some are willing to boycott entire chains.

I am also much less likely to book through Expedia, due to the issues with some of those reservations. If the site does not require that hotels honor bookings, what value are they (except as an initial search engine before going to the hotel's site to actually book).

Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I bought eclipse-viewing glasses at Bi-Mart the other day, and today I see that Fantasy Video is giving them away.
I have seen the glasses at BiMart and Safeway. Safeway had them in a bin, where people could shuffle through them, and they didn't look like the quality was being maintained (several were scratched, wrinkled etc ...).
BiMart did a bit better, having them at the counter, where people would not shuffle through them.
But neither store had them in individual packaging, to prevent them from damage while being displayed.

Several events are giving them away for free. Oregon State mentioned that they were giving them away free, during some of their weekend events.

I recommend finding a group of about 10 or more people, and buying them in bulk from Amazon. The price per pair goes down, the more pairs one buys.
There is a 20 pack for $6.15 (with Free shipping).
If one wants to use Prime (to get fast shipping), there are 10 for $8.95
https://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Glass...dp/B072LQC1ZF/

(Of course if you live where you can easily access a free pair, do that).

Old 07-30-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
If US-20 is gridlocked that will be OK. I will be in the path anyway. Next week I'm going to go and find some alternative viewing locations, just incase there is too much congestion to get through to Warm Springs.
If everyone follows the advice being given (by local governments, police, etc ...), the roads will be clear, on eclipse day, because everyone will already be in (or close enough to walk to) their viewing location.
Lines, in the totality zone, at the stores, will be short (or non existent) because people will all be stocked up on Groceries, gas, and any thing else we need for a few days before, eclipse day, and a few days after.

(I am not sure "Cloudy Dayz" is the best user name for discussing the eclipse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon