Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:53 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
We should institute a special "Eclipse tax" on all of those hotel rooms and campsites. Maybe we would be able to knock out the state budget deficit in one day!
No. That would be messed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Check out the Oregon Garden web page, they are going to have a lot going on out there in Silverton including dry camping on the garden grounds,,,, also check out the Salem -Keizer Volcano baseball web page, they are playing a game that starts just before and finishes after the eclipse.
We live on the 45th parallel line and will be watching from our front yard.
I think it will be fun to see how it all pans out with the crowds ect..
45 seems a little far north. Have you checked the map, to make sure you are in the path of totality? I urge everyone to check the map, and understand what kind of experience you can expect. Because trust me you don't want to watch a 95% or even 99% total eclipse. If it is not 100%, then you are not seeing a total eclipse.

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Interactive Google Map

Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Wow! That sounds like a bucket list wonderful thing to do.

I was planning on observing the Eclipse from a lawn chair in my backyard, but that would be more than worth the drive to Sumpter
Make your reservations ASAP.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 AM

899 posts, read 2,943,700 times
The 45 parallel sign is on 99 east in Salem just down the street from us and in front of a big PGE service center...We are looking forward to see how the day goes..If I was a gluten for punishment I would volunteer at Oregon Gardens for the day..I'm headed out there in bit to help with the earth celebration in the rain of course..
Have a good day everyone.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
The 45 parallel sign is on 99 east in Salem just down the street from us and in front of a big PGE service center...We are looking forward to see how the day goes..If I was a gluten for punishment I would volunteer at Oregon Gardens for the day..I'm headed out there in bit to help with the earth celebration in the rain of course..
Have a good day everyone.
That's a pretty good location. It looks like you are about half way between the center line and the edge of the totality. If you drove someplace south of Salem though, you would get a slightly longer eclipse (about 2 minutes vs 1 minute 45 seconds. People on 45 North on the east side of the state will miss the total eclipse entirely.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,586 times
So where is the ideal spot, along the coast? I spent a great summer living along north point in Depoe Bay. Great spot, for any reason.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
So where is the ideal spot, along the coast? I spent a great summer living along north point in Depoe Bay. Great spot, for any reason.
My Plan A is Lincoln Beach. My Plan B is Madras. I expect about a 95% chance I will go with plan B. Unless the weather is abnormally good, there will be no ideal spot on the coast. In the unlikely event that the morning clouds have burned off by the time of the eclipse, North Point in Depoe Bay would be awesome location to view it. If you are planning on actually staying at North Point on that day, I hope you made your reservations 10 years ago. Also if you are planning on viewing from Depoe Bay or Lincoln Beach, be aware that on a normal summer day, the limited parking fills up quickly. On Eclipse Day, all bets are off.

That said, I'm still hoping to view the eclipse from the coast. But I'm not going to make my decision until the day before.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:02 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
My Plan A is Lincoln Beach. My Plan B is Madras. I expect about a 95% chance I will go with plan B. Unless the weather is abnormally good, there will be no ideal spot on the coast. In the unlikely event that the morning clouds have burned off by the time of the eclipse, North Point in Depoe Bay would be awesome location to view it. If you are planning on actually staying at North Point on that day, I hope you made your reservations 10 years ago. Also if you are planning on viewing from Depoe Bay or Lincoln Beach, be aware that on a normal summer day, the limited parking fills up quickly. On Eclipse Day, all bets are off.

That said, I'm still hoping to view the eclipse from the coast. But I'm not going to make my decision until the day before.
Yeah, looks like Fogarty Creek is ground zero.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Lol, another problem to be prepared for:

Eclipse planners face porta-potty pinch; Septic service firms concerned about gridlocked roads

I can't decide if the headline writer deserves a plus or a minus for this one. The headline is actually "Demand for toilets could eclipse supply."

Old 05-10-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Lol, another problem to be prepared for:

Eclipse planners face porta-potty pinch; Septic service firms concerned about gridlocked roads

I can't decide if the headline writer deserves a plus or a minus for this one. The headline is actually "Demand for toilets could eclipse supply."
Quote:
In addition, ODOT will have personnel stationed at five-mile intervals to prevent unnecessary stopping, whether to view the eclipse, or to relieve oneself.
Good luck with that. Personnel stationed every five miles are not going to be enough to prevent people from stopping to view the eclipse, or stopping to relieve themselves. People are going to do what they got to do. It's going to be very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon