Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 02:30 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It will be interesting to see if the actual circumstances reflect all the hysterical predictions.
I think the predictions are worst case scenarios. They want to prevent major issues, so by warning folks of the worst case predictions, will likely mean more people will prepare.

There is another eclipse, crossing the US, in 7 years. It doesn't cross Oregon, but for those who feel they must see one, there is plenty of time to book ahead for the 2024 eclipse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet99645 View Post
Soooo. I'm late to this party. But I do have a hotel in Otter Rock, and a rental car so maybe I'm doing OK!

My only real concern is getting from Otter Rock post-eclipse back to PDX for my flight home. But it's not until 10 pm. Thoughts? It appears going back thru Salem is a bad idea due to the party at the fairgrounds.

Driving directly is usually 2.5 hours, according to Mapquest. Suggestions as to alternate routes? Would going up toward Tillamook and hitting PDX from the NorthWest result in less traffic?
Not likely, although clouds on the coast might decrease the traffic on 101, headed North, just after the eclipse.
I5 really may be significantly worse.
Maybe judge the traffic situation that day. Going East, between Tillamook and Portland will likely be fine.

You might have an interesting view, watching the wildlife on the coast, even if it is raining and cloudy.

Hwy 20 had a major accident, Wednesday, as we were headed home from the coast. We turned back toward Newport, and then up the coast to Lincoln City (through Depot Bay). We stopped at Depot bay, and saw multiple whales. It was quite a site. I might be interesting to view their behavior during the eclipse. They might even be smart enough to fully understand it, as they do communicate through the generations.
Maybe the sea otters will be more interesting to observe.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I am going to take absolutely none of that advice, except make sure my gas stays topped off, because I may be driving in areas with limited fuel services, and maybe have a couple of sandwiches in my car, incase the lines for food are long on Eclipse Day.
I got that, some posts back.
I am not going as far as having more cash than I would normally have, or more food than I normally have stocked. I just won't plan on actually doing my shopping that weekend or Monday, or even Tuesday.

But now that they are predicting clouds, and rain, maybe my city will be spared massive crowds.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet99645 View Post
Soooo. I'm late to this party. But I do have a hotel in Otter Rock, and a rental car so maybe I'm doing OK!

My only real concern is getting from Otter Rock post-eclipse back to PDX for my flight home. But it's not until 10 pm. Thoughts? It appears going back thru Salem is a bad idea due to the party at the fairgrounds.

Driving directly is usually 2.5 hours, according to Mapquest. Suggestions as to alternate routes? Would going up toward Tillamook and hitting PDX from the NorthWest result in less traffic?
Check out of your hotel early and drive north to Depoe Bay or Lincoln Beach to watch the eclipse, if traffic conditions allow. As soon as it's over get on highway 18 back to Portland. It will be slow going. Just hope you get there in time for your flight.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
Two weeks to go! This week is the time to get to the store and stock up on your food, water, and supplies. Make sure you have medications filled and any other things that you may need for the last 2 weeks of August. Also get cash out of the bank and fuel up vehicles. Next week we will start to see traffic increase more each day.
And don't forget to buy weapons.....assault rifles.....one for everybody in your family.....and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

When these millions of people who have come for the eclipse run out of fuel......when they run out of water....when they run out of food and start to starve to death …...they will get desperate....they will try to steal your vehicles......they will try to break into your home....they will kill your family ....you must stop them!!!!

You must be prepared to defend yourself.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
According to weather.com it is going to rain at the coast, and in the Valley (where I live).
Further East in the valley (such as Lebanon Oregon), it is showing less chance of rain, and only partly cloudy.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/97330:4:US
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/97355:4:US

Of course this means traffic going East, is going to be heavier than it would be if the Coast and/or Valley were having clear weather.

These long term forecasts are often wrong, but this time it will probably be correct.
I don't have a lot of faith in 14 day weather forecasts. Next week the 7 day forecast could look a lot different. The real important forecast will be about 24 to 48 hours before the eclipse. At that point we should have a much better idea of what the conditions will be like at the exact time of the eclipse.

At this point I'm getting more concerned about the fire and smoke situation, then the weather.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I think the predictions are worst case scenarios. They want to prevent major issues, so by warning folks of the worst case predictions, will likely mean more people will prepare.

There is another eclipse, crossing the US, in 7 years. It doesn't cross Oregon, but for those who feel they must see one, there is plenty of time to book ahead for the 2024 eclipse.
Here is the map. Make your hotel reservations before they fill up.

TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE OF 2024 APR 08

Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Here is the map. Make your hotel reservations before they fill up.

TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE OF 2024 APR 08
Ah, thanks,,,

Perfect.. 8 April 2024 prime Bluebonnet season in Fredericksburg / Hill Country TX (and our home is on the center route) Niagara Falls would also be a nice place to book! (but could be cloudy / snow)

Mazatlan for the beach goers / spring break crowd.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
The reason they're suggesting you have a supply of cash is because communications systems may be overwhelmed, which could make card transactions tricky.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ah, thanks,,,

Perfect.. 8 April 2024 prime Bluebonnet season in Fredericksburg / Hill Country TX (and our home is on the center route) Niagara Falls would also be a nice place to book! (but could be cloudy / snow)

Mazatlan for the beach goers / spring break crowd.
Niagara Falls would be an awesome place to watch that. But it looks like the path will just miss Toronto. So I expect Niagara Falls will be seriously packed with Canadians heading south to get a good view. If I decide to see that one, I will probably go to Texas.

Then of course there is also August 12, 2045. That one will be visible from Northern California. But I'm not sure I'm make it till that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon