Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM

1,500 posts, read 889,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I'm not certain about MR, but HOA fees are deductible from your profit basis if you sell for a profit. While I support the idea of MR & HOAs, I think all potential buyers should be educated on what they do and how they impact the community. Roads, sanitation, education, parks, and infrastructure can be a huge burden to growing cities (it bloats their budgets) so in order to provide desirable services without raising property taxes, folks have to get a little creative. It boils down to what kind of community you want to live, support, and by which you would like to be supported.

Full disclosure, I live in an HOA/MR free area of Newport Beach and it fits me well.

Have no clue where you got this info..but HOA dues are NOT deductible from your profit ..called capital gains..because the IRS determined they are collected from a private entity..not a govt agency like property taxes etc..

Now if you have a condo in the desert and rent it out..thus it is not your primary dwelling..HOA dues are deductible EACH year as a "business expense"..same as prop taxes insurance utilities on that dwelling...if you may make more money than it costs you to run the place..and you don't use it yourself more than 14 days a year ..than yes each year it is deductible(in 13 years of owning a condo in a resort area,,with 500 a month HOA..we never even broke even)
When you sell the HOA dues have nada to do with capital gains..which is like replacing the a/c, gutting a kitchen, new windows..those are deducted from your balance sheet..

a primary home if you have an HOA nada..no deductions either yearly or when you sell

better look that up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,509,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wIregEx View Post
say that after your neighbor paints his home Yellow or when his son's tree house blocking the view & sunlight.
I'll say it. Our home is pale yellow. The house ascross the street is a pale blue-gray. On one side of us the house is brown. On the other side brick. Most of us have brick or field-stone accents and no two houses are the same. Lots run between 1/4 to 1/2 acre. The only commonality here is no privacy fences. We all love the open areas and wildlife.

I believe it's called custom homes. One might even call it individuality. Another might call if freedom to choose. It's a far cry from group-think or a mob-mentality and everyone is very considerate of their neighbors and our little, lake-side community. Welcome to America and the Land of the Free and those capable of thinking for themselves.

Oh, and we do pool resources to maintain and clear roads and maintain a community center with pool and our community wells - all that for $205 a YEAR!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM

1,500 posts, read 889,310 times
what you may not understand..is that this area of Ca has NO land..thus custom homes are literally impossible..

the Irvine Company bought up so much of the land 30 years ago which led to the cookie cutter developments etc

in order to have custom homes you have to have land..

we have traded our weather and access to ocean mountains and desert for custom homes

most of us love it..those who don't ..leave OC

doesn't make you..or we..wrong..just different

you couldn't pay me to live in snow country or rain country..ever again..did that for the first 26 years of my life..

Old 09-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Oh, I understand, Lola. SoCal born and mostly bred back in the dark ages when places like Newport Beach (my home), Corona del Mar, Laguna Beach, etc. were filled with nothing but custom homes.

But I understand your feelings about weather. We just happen to enjoy four seasons all in one place. By the same token, you couldn't pay us to live in "...little boxes made of ticky-tacky and the all look ther same."

To each their own. By the way, in my day Irvine was empty ranch/grazing land.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 PM

193 posts, read 310,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wIregEx View Post
say that after your neighbor paints his home Yellow or when his son's tree house blocking the view & sunlight.

Then I KNOW I would not want be in a HOA...

Little nose in the neighbors butt Hitlers... Thanks for clearing up color choices. I've lived 19 years next to a well kept yellow house. Its the lifeless fools in the beige houses that I feel sorry for.

When was the last time you ever saw a treehouse built? I don't think there is anyone in Ca with the skillset let alone that much drive.

Last edited by LordOfTheCars; 09-07-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,474,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
When was the last time you ever saw a treehouse built? I don't think there is anyone in Ca with the skillset let alone that much drive.
The permit process is a b**ch.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The permit process is a b**ch.
Heck a 9 year old needs a busness license, a resellers permit, approval from the county health inspctor, a building permit, handycap accessable area, and the ability to take plastic as payment before the local Nazi cop won't shut her down...

Great place to live... The newscasts out of there should shame anyone living in the state.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,474,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
Heck a 9 year old needs a busness license, a resellers permit, approval from the county health inspctor, a building permit, handycap accessable area, and the ability to take plastic as payment before the local Nazi cop won't shut her down...

Great place to live... The newscasts out of there should shame anyone living in the state.
What's sad is that more and more people in this state think that's all great, we need more of it, and anyone who objects should sit down and shut up.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What's sad is that more and more people in this state think that's all great, we need more of it, and anyone who objects should sit down and shut up.
Why does that remind me of China under Mao?

It seems they like being told what to do... Are you sure they are Americans?

Old 09-08-2012, 01:47 AM

People who can't or don't care to think for themselves like being told what to do by others. But make no mistake, neither OC nor anywhere else has a monopoly on that. The sheeple are wide-spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County