Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,020,580 times

Advertisements

NO. Its not the same. Its analogous! My point is the court must determine whether its constitutional to take the right away from gays...not the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,090,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Kdrich,

Yes, marriage in general has been deemed a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT. The court's have ruled that it IS a fundamental right to marry who you want. You don't have to say why!! So by deduction...you absolutely have a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT to marry who you want.
Do I have a right to marry 3 women? Is there no rules regarding age?
Quote:

Not all guaranteed rights are explicitly written in the constitution. The constitution an open ended document. Which means fundamental rights are discerned within the contours of the constitution.

For example, what part of the bill of rights says we have a fundamental right to privacy??
I never said that the constitution did contain all the rights a person could have.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 PM

No you don't have the right to marry 3 women. But that is because the statute against was upheld on court challenge. The court looks at the statute and then analyzes it within the framework of the constitution. Part of that test is whether there is a strong public policy against and how tailored the law is to achieve the public policy.

Same goes for age. One can easily list public policies for having bans on polygamy and underage marriage.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:08 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,090,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
No you don't have the right to marry 3 women. But that is because the statute against was upheld on court challenge. The court looks at the statute and then analyzes it within the framework of the constitution. Part of that test is whether there is a strong public policy against and how tailored the law is to achieve the public policy.

Same goes for age. One can easily list public policies for having bans on polygamy and underage marriage.

And the people voted in overwhelming numbers against a special definition of marriage.

It's not the court's purpose to make laws.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 PM

And that is your fundamental ignorance on the issue in a nutshell!

Southern states voted overwhelming to disallow interracial marriage and black voting rights! It is absolutely the job of the courts to overturn laws that are unconstitutionally oppressive.

The courts have been making laws since the invention of the first court! That is what "common law" is! And we are a common law country and always have been. To say its not the court's business to make laws simply shows how you don't understand the actual issue you're talking about.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:18 AM

605 posts, read 1,201,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Stacey, I've noticed a pattern over time and I've done some investigation on this issue. Whenever there is a thread that someone doesn't like (or it isn't going their way, or they're losing an argument), individuals who will remain nameless complain to 'admin' about it and it gets locked or moved. I've seen the complaints to 'admin' by this certain member and he/she generally complains that there is too much 'gay' stuff over at the Omaha forum. Go figure.
Well, you notice quite well, Its obvious that the gay stuff offends a few of the nuts around here, but is it offensive enough to warrant the actions that are taken? NO!! The gay stuff is here to stay, I'm here to make sure of that.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I just complain when someone goes into a thread not even involving a Gay topic and somehow twist it to talk about gay things thusly making it completely off topic, and sometimes ruining the thread completely when it has to be closed for being off topic.
So, you are saying there is no room for a gay viewpoint?
Someone starts a thread about Nebraska the Good Life, I make a comment that it only applies to heteros, there is no room for the gay view in that thread? You are wrong. You are very wrong.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM

7,970 posts, read 26,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
So, you are saying there is no room for a gay viewpoint?
Someone starts a thread about Nebraska the Good Life, I make a comment that it only applies to heteros, there is no room for the gay view in that thread? You are wrong. You are very wrong.
Is EVERYTHING in life about being gay? Isn't there ANYTHING that isn't either hetero or homo? I haven't seen you post anything, anywhere, that isn't about homosexuality.

Don't you have any other interests? I'm confused.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Is EVERYTHING in life about being gay? Isn't there ANYTHING that isn't either hetero or homo? I haven't seen you post anything, anywhere, that isn't about homosexuality.

Don't you have any other interests? I'm confused.
Of course I have other interests, what's so confusing about that? It just so happens that on this bigoted board, people get offended at the mere mention of gay. So therefore gay is here to stay. A gay point of view will always be posted here. Its called freedom of speech. The one right gays have in Nebraska!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:28 PM

7,970 posts, read 26,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Of course I have other interests, what's so confusing about that? It just so happens that on this bigoted board, people get offended at the mere mention of gay. So therefore gay is here to stay. A gay point of view will always be posted here. Its called freedom of speech. The one right gays have in Nebraska!
Ummm... I'm not offended by the mention of gays. And I'm really not bigoted about gays.

But I have noticed that there is only ONE thing you EVER post about - and you're obviously pretty angry and obsessed about it.

That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha