Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM

59 posts, read 230,803 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to the Omaha area. We have seen that Council Bluffs is very close. Can anyone compare the differences? Which is better? Can you get in state tuition for UNO? Which has better grade schools? Which has the better cost of living? Are house prices comparable? How well do the jobs pay in the area? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,216 times
You do get in-state for Nebraska universities. Border towns do.. As for public schools - I'm going to take a guess and say grade schools in Western Omaha are much better than those of Council Bluffs. I haven't heard many good things about the Council Bluffs schools.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,157 times
If you relocate to this area, I personally would suggest you choose an area in Millard or further west. I was raised in Omaha and transplanted myself to Council Bluffs when my children were young. At that time the school system was wonderful. The school system has since gone down the tubes, as in FLUSHED. My step-daughter use to attend high school here. She was receiving A's and B's in most classes, but cannot spell many 4 letter words. Millard Public Schools are wonderful.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 PM

336 posts, read 574,795 times
Bull crap!!!!! My son is at ISU and after 2 years is a junior.4. grade average. He had a very good eduacation in CB. We have many well educated kids. It is what you get out of it that matters!!!!!The people who say the schools are not good would have kids that would not do any better in any other schools.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
I lived in both Omaha and Council Bluffs. The education I got from Omaha Public Schools was better than Council Bluffs Schools.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:47 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
As a completely and totally objective person - who lives in Omaha - I can tell you that Omaha is MUCH better!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
IF schools is the only choice I would look at Millard, Papillion/LaVista, or Westside...

If schools are not the only choice then CouncilBluffs has done quite a bit to turn around its negative image - downtown area is being revitalized and there are some very nice housing areas and the bluffs provide beautiful scenery.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
IF schools is the only choice I would look at Millard, Papillion/LaVista, or Westside...

If schools are not the only choice then CouncilBluffs has done quite a bit to turn around its negative image - downtown area is being revitalized and there are some very nice housing areas and the bluffs provide beautiful scenery.
On a serious note for a moment...

I keep hearing about how great these Millard, Westside & Bellevue/Papillion/LaVista schools are. But I have a daughter who is finishing up at Omaha North High School.

And let me tell you folks, that is an absolutely fantastic school! It's a magnet school, focused specifically on the areas of technology, engineering, chemistry, etc. There are kids driving to North from all over the metro area - including the Millard and Westside districts. In fact, the enrollment is rapidly growing at North, and they're currently in a multi-million dollar building program to house their expanding engineering program.

So that's my 2 cents' worth. I am NOT aiming this at you Dave - I'm just making a general comment.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 16,995 times
If you're considering Council Bluffs, definitely look at the southeast side of town, possibly outside of the city limits in the Lewis Central district. It's much better than Council Bluffs school district IMO. The area is actually a fairly upper-middle class part of the city. It's still an easy commute to Downtown Omaha, and is against the main flow of traffic at rush hour.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM

27 posts, read 199,142 times
There is a great website called: Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community It has data from schools all over the country and really gives you a feel for how a school's test scores rank, comparative to statewide and nationwide scores. The schools are ususally given a 1-10 ranking, and frequently there are comments from both parents and students. I even think you can compare schools state to state. I've made most of our relocation decisions based on this website. I think it's a fabulous tool. Good luck to you, wherever you land..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha