Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 87,308 times

Advertisements

I'm working on an economics paper on income distribution and poverty. Essentially I have to "synthesize" a few current events articles on the subject and offer opinions on the viewpoints in the articles.

I decided that the Nov 4, 5, 6 series about the disconnect between blacks in Omaha and good-paying jobs would be a natural fit.

Essentially the articles say that during the 50s and 60s the booming Omaha meatpacking and railroad industries provided plentiful hard but good-paying jobs for relatively "unskilled" workers in Omaha, and that many of these jobs were held by blacks.

In the 60s and 70s these local industries collapsed, leaving many jobless or forcing them to take much lower-paying jobs. The economic shock and subsequent migration out of the area of many of these workers has not yet settled, and the lack of good-paying jobs for "unskilled" work makes it far less likely for young workers to follow a mainstream career path, and instead choose "alternative" careers.

The articles also stated that income levels of blacks in Omaha have lagged the national average for blacks, despite the statistics that Omaha blacks are slightly better educated than blacks nationally. Also, Omaha has a higher concentration than national average of blacks in unskilled jobs and a lower concentration than national average of blacks in skilled professions.

The articles pointed to a number of possible factors contributing to the situation, some concrete such as barriers to employment in the form of criminal records, unpaid child support bills creating disincentives to work, and lack of a good public transportation system, and some less concrete in the form of lack of enough standard role models, glorification of the the street life, and possible discrimination.

I would like to discuss these articles with others in the Omaha area who are familiar with the articles. I have my own opinions based on growing up in a military environment and only moving to this area after I was already a working adult, but I am curious about other people's opinions.

Please be reasonably tone-neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralleia View Post
I'm working on an economics paper on income distribution and poverty. Essentially I have to "synthesize" a few current events articles on the subject and offer opinions on the viewpoints in the articles.

I decided that the Nov 4, 5, 6 series about the disconnect between blacks in Omaha and good-paying jobs would be a natural fit.

Essentially the articles say that during the 50s and 60s the booming Omaha meatpacking and railroad industries provided plentiful hard but good-paying jobs for relatively "unskilled" workers in Omaha, and that many of these jobs were held by blacks.

In the 60s and 70s these local industries collapsed, leaving many jobless or forcing them to take much lower-paying jobs. The economic shock and subsequent migration out of the area of many of these workers has not yet settled, and the lack of good-paying jobs for "unskilled" work makes it far less likely for young workers to follow a mainstream career path, and instead choose "alternative" careers.

The articles also stated that income levels of blacks in Omaha have lagged the national average for blacks, despite the statistics that Omaha blacks are slightly better educated than blacks nationally. Also, Omaha has a higher concentration than national average of blacks in unskilled jobs and a lower concentration than national average of blacks in skilled professions.

The articles pointed to a number of possible factors contributing to the situation, some concrete such as barriers to employment in the form of criminal records, unpaid child support bills creating disincentives to work, and lack of a good public transportation system, and some less concrete in the form of lack of enough standard role models, glorification of the the street life, and possible discrimination.

I would like to discuss these articles with others in the Omaha area who are familiar with the articles. I have my own opinions based on growing up in a military environment and only moving to this area after I was already a working adult, but I am curious about other people's opinions.

Please be reasonably tone-neutral.

This is why my father has always stressed the importance of a good education. Furthermore, I also see a divide between the haves and havenots in many ways. While blacks in Omaha are statistically slightly more educated, there is also the high concentration of unskilled professions. What I see is that income gaps could be part of the problem. The ones who are educated and making money are making alot more than the ones who are either low-skilled or unemployed. Discrimination can be a factor too, as in other major cities too. That is just my theory.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:19 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
The thing I don't understand in the whole issue is why Hispanics in South Omaha can take a downtrodden area and basically create a little-Mexico with all the self started businesses. Their drive to move from nothing and create a little business which then teamed with all the other little businesses creates a whole mile of economic development (24th street). and the Blacks in North Omaha just sit back and watch their community die - literally from an economic development perspective.

I liked the article on Black vs White that you mentioned, but why make it a Black-White issue. I would love to see a series of articles looking at South Omaha vs North Omaha and why one group can do something and the other hasn't.

I don't have an answer.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:49 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
The thing I don't understand in the whole issue is why Hispanics in South Omaha can take a downtrodden area and basically create a little-Mexico with all the self started businesses. Their drive to move from nothing and create a little business which then teamed with all the other little businesses creates a whole mile of economic development (24th street). and the Blacks in North Omaha just sit back and watch their community die - literally from an economic development perspective.

I liked the article on Black vs White that you mentioned, but why make it a Black-White issue. I would love to see a series of articles looking at South Omaha vs North Omaha and why one group can do something and the other hasn't.

I don't have an answer.
It's called Work Ethic! I know several business owners with jobs in construction trades and they all NEED HELP but they can't find anyone who drag their asses out of bed in the morning for a full week of work.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I don't have an answer.

I have a reason. This is a case of blacks not helping one another with businesses and stuff like that. Back in the old days blacks helped each other with businesses and you see less of that today. When you have a breakdown of the family unit, things get bad too. Actually, people in general should be helping each other rather than begging for welfare.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have a reason. This is a case of blacks not helping one another with businesses and stuff like that. Back in the old days blacks helped each other with businesses and you see less of that today. When you have a breakdown of the family unit, things get bad too. Actually, people in general should be helping each other rather than begging for welfare.

Just curious, are there any organizations actively educating the Black community on how to successfully run a business?

Anyone can start a business but turning a profit is a whole different thing.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Just curious, are there any organizations actively educating the Black community on how to successfully run a business?

There probably are. It is a matter of network. Wherever there is network to get good things done, good things come out. If there is a networking system where someone can be taught how to turn a profit, good things can happen. There are alot of drug dealers and if those same drug dealers put their hustling skills to something like selling cars or books, then alot of people would be better off. Fewer drug dealers, more entrepreneurs and perhaps more jobs.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying and on one hand agree, but to my earlier point - who's teaching all the Hispanics that have created an entire mile of economic development opportunities on South 24th? I don't think anyone specifically has, they have rallied around each other - build a business and support the business.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Specific to your question, the Small Business Administration has an excellent program for anyone to use. I believe there is also a small business incubator in the Lion Center on North 24th - specific to the Black community. Several North Omaha churches have programs and I think both the Chamber of Commerce and the University have programs as well for anyone to use.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and on one hand agree, but to my earlier point - who's teaching all the Hispanics that have created an entire mile of economic development opportunities on South 24th? I don't think anyone specifically has, they have rallied around each other - build a business and support the business.
Yep, and to add to that the Hispanic community many times does business exclusively with other Hispanic owned businesses therefore ensuring residual capital into their local economy.

It's quite smart how they do business actually.

Referring to North Omaha now, I do think there is always going to be that group of people who refuse to work and live off the system as they have for years but obviously if they would create more jobs crime should decrease exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: