Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,200,632 times

Advertisements

there has been many initiatives and economic packages and focus in the one section of town that has seemed to be left in the dark..

And there now is plans for a total of $500,000,000 dollars worth of economic development in that section of town which is pretty significant..

I do not agree with the 'it's all me' type of mentality, I agree that wee need to enhance the qualities of each individual instead of forcing conformity, but at the same time, to enhance the quality of the whole group, we need to focus on promoting the individual..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 AM

884 posts, read 1,035,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetious View Post
As stated, I am currently working on a masters degree, so my education level is post-graduate. My "industry" would of course not be "blue collar" -- I suppose the business/marketing field would describe it. I feel at times that I have some difficulties finding work that I would like, but then again I am in my early 20s, so I'm just starting out and obviously not going to be VP of anything yet. I do not plan on staying here in Omaha -- would not want to raise school aged children here -- just stuck here because my father was an officer in the air force and was stationed.

Omaha is a ridiculously segregated city, and does not seem to have very many "successful minorities" (for lack of a better term). Most likely because most of us leave.
Success is usually derived from initiative, drive, knowledge and ideas. Most of the black community in Omaha has relied on a feeling of entitlement, the always expected "race card" and absolutely no accountability for their own actions.

Until that all changes an overall successful black community is very unlikely. So you are right, there aren't really that many success stories from Omaha's black community.

Omaha is a great place to raise a family, no matter what color you are.

Also, I’m in my early 20’s also and I don’t really plan on having a job that I so much like but one that pays good. Very few people actually like their jobs.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 PM

30 posts, read 103,440 times
The reason Hispanics can do this is because they share a completely different culture than the rest of Omaha. The shops in Little Mexico were created because they needed to keep their culture. That doesn't exist in North Omaha because blacks share the same culture as white people and the rest of Omaha for that matter. If it weren't for the culture in Little Mexico South Omaha would look much the same as North Omaha. Just for the record, I live in North Omaha and do love where i live.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:35 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrindone View Post
The reason Hispanics can do this is because they share a completely different culture than the rest of Omaha. The shops in Little Mexico were created because they needed to keep their culture. That doesn't exist in North Omaha because blacks share the same culture as white people and the rest of Omaha for that matter. If it weren't for the culture in Little Mexico South Omaha would look much the same as North Omaha. Just for the record, I live in North Omaha and do love where i live.
Not surprising.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,560,920 times
I don't want to put too much on one man or one organization, but I do have some hope that there might be change in North Omaha with former-Chief Warren taking the Urban League. He is of that community and is of the culture. He grew up there and has always stayed connected. I think the communities philanthropic resources will be unlocked and he will get a lot of funding if he asks for programs. I think with him at the helm, the is a very unique opportunity for change from within the community - which It think is a huge key.

Good luck Mr Warren!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Dave125, it looks like there is some help being offered. Now what is needed is a resources just as important: enterprising human being. It would help North Omaha if the enterprising people would start businesses there. I never thought for once in my life until I found city-data.com that Omaha had a very high poverty level among blacks(one of the highest among major cities in the USA). I would think some place like Detroit or Pittsburgh would be like that, being that Omaha is hardly Rust Belt and a big banking center.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 PM

47 posts, read 170,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Do you have any insight back to my original question of why South 24th has tons of self created economic development opportunites by the poor Hispanics, while at the same time the poor Black community has done nothing for itself in that same regard with North 24th?
Immigrants work cheaper than US Citizens (less than minimum wage). They also live 20 to house, which is also cheaper. With that savings, sure, its easy to have extra capital for a business.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,560,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
Immigrants work cheaper than US Citizens (less than minimum wage). They also live 20 to house, which is also cheaper. With that savings, sure, its easy to have extra capital for a business.
The ones with the businesses are working for themselves, so they are small business people not migrant workers, so not sure your argument explains that specific situation.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
Sounds very cheap. I don't think many Americans could take living 20 to an apartment. Things get bad when 5 people are in an apartment together. I don't think most Americans would live that many to an apartment unless they really had to, and even then there are alot of problems(think Hurricane Katrina and all of the violence occuring in the Superdome being used as "shelter".). Let's be honest.
The big problem is that it is in fact cheaper to higher someone who would work for minimum wage. I wouldn't and I'm unemployed. Minimum wage simply isn't enough for me, or most Americans for that matter. If unemployed Americans started asking for jobs below minimum wage, they would get hired in a heartbeat. The immigrants make it work because they help each other. I think alot of Americans have lost sight of that.
As for Omaha in Black and White, I can't think of anything else other than it's a complicated situation. There are lazy people leaching the system. There are hardworking people who have a hard time making it in the world. There are unemployed people who want to work but have difficulty getting work. There is another factor I could think of and I could be dead wrong and if I am please tell me. A theory I have in mind is that Omaha is somewhat cheap for a major city and places with a low cost of living will attract anyone who is having a hard time making it in the previous location. I might be wrong though.
My next theory: Many in the middle-class black population left and went to live in other cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas,etc.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facetious View Post
This might sound selfish, whatever... but I don't think it is my job/other's job to go out and specifically "help" out other blacks, etc. I don't think that whites have it in there mind that "we have to stick together and help our own kind, etc. etc." -- this is America, and it is a "me, me, me" country -- like it or not. And I personally am not interested in starting mom and pop businesses like the (run-down) looking ones in south omaha....I will focus on my education, family, and career, and other people need to focus on theirs.
I'm npt talking about a "mom and pop" store. If a community means alot to you and you can't find a job, create your own thing. Be enterprising. That is what I mean. Yes, discrimination is a horrible thing and it happens on all ends. The so-called "reverse discrimination" as well as the old-school discrimination. There are ways to fight it. Take a case to court if need be. Or even better, start a business of your own and you will be guaranteed employment. If you are enterprising, you can make it. That is what I mean. I am having a hard time getting a job myself. I am looking for a job. In the meantime, I am studying other skills so that I can start my own business if no one wants to hire me.
Another thing. I know this is America and the "me me me" attitude prevails everywhere. My question is about the people who want help and need skills. I never said start a mom and pop store. I am saying if you want to stay in any community that means anything to you at all and you are having trouble getting work, do your own thing, start a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: