Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,502 times

Advertisements

wow... "can't find anyone to drag their lazy a**es out of bed". I am black, and i resent this -- then again I grew up around 180th and center -- not in "north omaha". As someone who is black and educated, I would NEVER segregate myself to that pitiful area of town. I don't appreciate being lumped in a group of "uneducated, unskilled" workers, when i am working on a masters degree.

I think a lot of this has to do with opportunites or a lack there of --I still have issues with finding acceptable employment (for my education level) -- and it seems I have to work harder to get to the same level as certain others, but, oh well I guess... this thread just kind of bugged me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetious View Post
wow... "can't find anyone to drag their lazy a**es out of bed". I am black, and i resent this -- then again I grew up around 180th and center -- not in "north omaha". As someone who is black and educated, I would NEVER segregate myself to that pitiful area of town. I don't appreciate being lumped in a group of "uneducated, unskilled" workers, when i am working on a masters degree.

I think a lot of this has to do with opportunites or a lack there of --I still have issues with finding acceptable employment (for my education level) -- and it seems I have to work harder to get to the same level as certain others, but, oh well I guess... this thread just kind of bugged me...
Do not take offense to my post. If you are able to work and employed then my post isn't directed toward you. Omaha's unemployment rate is under 4% and like I said earlier I would bet over half that 4% chooses not to work because the welfare system will do that for them.

I don't know the specifics of your industry or education level, but I do know there are many blue collar industry jobs available in Omaha and for someone who is an able bodied person being unemployed in Omaha doesn't draw much sympathy.

Just curious, what are some of the road blocks you found you are running into for advancement opportunities? If you decide to share please include your industry and education level. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facetious View Post
Do you have any insight back to my original question of why South 24th has tons of self created economic development opportunites by the poor Hispanics, while at the same time the poor Black community has done nothing for itself in that same regard with North 24th?

Old 12-16-2007, 11:48 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Do you have any insight back to my original question of why South 24th has tons of self created economic development opportunites by the poor Hispanics, while at the same time the poor Black community has done nothing for itself in that same regard with North 24th?

Like I said before, if people helped each other and stop begging the local government, things could get done. I am not saying you shouldn't expect more from your local government. I am saying that sometimes(within the law) you can't always depend on the government handout. Anyone can be "helped" forever if you meet the requirements, but in order to get real economic changes, people have to pool their resources and start helping each other start businesses. Imagine how much more can be done. If you need help you need help, but if people started more businesses, more jbs could be provided and the unemployment rate would drop drastically.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Like I said before, if people helped each other and stop begging the local government, things could get done. I am not saying you shouldn't expect more from your local government. I am saying that sometimes(within the law) you can't always depend on the government handout. Anyone can be "helped" forever if you meet the requirements, but in order to get real economic changes, people have to pool their resources and start helping each other start businesses. Imagine how much more can be done. If you need help you need help, but if people started more businesses, more jbs could be provided and the unemployment rate would drop drastically.
Fully agree....

...so why does it seem to be natural for one group (Hispanics South 24th St with economic boom) vs another poor group (Blacks North 24th with no economic development).

I just don't understand how you kick start one disadvantaged group when other disadvantaged groups tend to get what you are saying with your statement.

I don't buy-into the Black vs White thing these days - that's the easy answer, but that doesn't explain your point which tends to cover the positive aspect of the Asians, Vietnamese and Hispanics as self starters.

Last edited by Dave1215; 12-16-2007 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 05:20 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Fully agree....

...so why does it seem to be natural for one group (Hispanics South 24th St with economic boom) vs another poor group (Blacks North 24th with no economic development).

I just don't understand how you kick start one disadvantaged group when other disadvantaged groups tend to get what you are saying with your statement.

I don't buy-into the Black vs White thing these days - that's the easy answer, but that doesn't explain your point which tends to cover the positive aspect of the Asians, Vietnamese and Hispanics as self starters.
Here is my point. According to some one my relatives, the reason while alot of blacks have problems is because they don't help each other and have the "me me me" syndrome instead of pooling the resources available. That is the difference. All of the ethnic groups listed(and many more) have to deal with discrimination. I don't agree with it and discrimination should be punishable. Along with that, one should get rid of the welfare mentality and start helping one another start businesses and help each other get jobs.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Do not take offense to my post. If you are able to work and employed then my post isn't directed toward you. Omaha's unemployment rate is under 4% and like I said earlier I would bet over half that 4% chooses not to work because the welfare system will do that for them.

I don't know the specifics of your industry or education level, but I do know there are many blue collar industry jobs available in Omaha and for someone who is an able bodied person being unemployed in Omaha doesn't draw much sympathy.

Just curious, what are some of the road blocks you found you are running into for advancement opportunities? If you decide to share please include your industry and education level. Thanks.
As stated, I am currently working on a masters degree, so my education level is post-graduate. My "industry" would of course not be "blue collar" -- I suppose the business/marketing field would describe it. I feel at times that I have some difficulties finding work that I would like, but then again I am in my early 20s, so I'm just starting out and obviously not going to be VP of anything yet. I do not plan on staying here in Omaha -- would not want to raise school aged children here -- just stuck here because my father was an officer in the air force and was stationed.

Omaha is a ridiculously segregated city, and does not seem to have very many "successful minorities" (for lack of a better term). Most likely because most of us leave.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
No -- as stated, I did not grow up anywhere near north omaha, and am not familiar with that mentality... also, I am not a spokeswoman for an entire race/social class of people. Sorry.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post

This might sound selfish, whatever... but I don't think it is my job/other's job to go out and specifically "help" out other blacks, etc. I don't think that whites have it in there mind that "we have to stick together and help our own kind, etc. etc." -- this is America, and it is a "me, me, me" country -- like it or not. And I personally am not interested in starting mom and pop businesses like the (run-down) looking ones in south omaha....I will focus on my education, family, and career, and other people need to focus on theirs.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,786 times
Default that's not a good idea..

oh gosh, we're headed back to the backward twisted days of the 1950's..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: