Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 03:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,407,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I have tried the little cigars, pipe tobacco, the chewing gum, everything. It is easy to quit, I've done it a thousand times.

I don't know if tobacco grows in Oklahoma or not. I have never seen any seed for sale. It would be fun to try.

I always thought it was tobacco in the peace pipes.
I've only quit once (for 10 months) before my kids were born).
And I won't chew gum, because I've lost fillings doing that WAY BACK WHEN...
And I have no interest in pills or herbs...
Tried a pipe... and I might again...

You CAN get tobacco seed on-line, but where I live, there's like a 3 month growing season... (And my wife does NOT weed the garden sufficiently, so I'm afraid of what the results might be...)

If you thought it was "tobacco" in peace pipes, you had a more (shall we say) reasonable education than I did.

M.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
To the Native Peoples, every plant, rock, and stream has a spirit, much like you have a soul.
And if we continued along that line, pollution would never have happened...

Quote:
I took a trip to Pipestone, MN back in my younger days. It was fascinating to learn of all the tribes who would journey there to gather the red stone used in making pipes.

We, *meaning Natives, don't joke about what goes in a pipe, because the pipe is such an integral part of prayer. (Actually, I think it was a mixture and all tribes have their own mixtures.)
Right again... From what I understand, if one were to make a pipe out of the wrong material, it could poison someone.

Quote:
So, WATCH IT paleface!! Or your scalp will look might purdy hanging on the radio antenna of my one eyed Ford.
It might have when I was a teenager (read: long-haired rock n' roll hippie),
but these days, your brothers would be a might less impressed.

Quote:
Tobacco is still used in healing ceremonies. There is great reverence amongst our People in how we offer tobacco to the spirits.
I'd be interested to learn...

Quote:
ComputerGuy, maybe you can google Pipestone, MN.
Did a quick Google search, and got lot of spam on the first few hits... I'll do a more in-depth search and try to actually learn something....

Thanks,

M.

P.S.

Keep the real NA stuff coming...
It's appreciated by more than just myself.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 12-07-2007 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Bad quoting... Needed correction!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:26 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,631,388 times
Well, if it was not tobacco in the peace pipe, I don't think the peace pipe, or calumet, would be on our state flag.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Well, if it was not tobacco in the peace pipe, I don't think the peace pipe, or calumet, would be on our state flag.
That's because you don't live in "John Kerry" country.....
If you did, you wouldn't imagine anything different.

Just an outlander point of view.....

M.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:42 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,957,009 times
Redbird. Your stories are always interesting. I love the real Native American perspective. So many of my friends were Native Americans growing up but we rarely talked about the things that reveal here. Please, keep it up. And Yankee, you keep it up as well!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:01 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,798,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Redbird. Your stories are always interesting. I love the real Native American perspective. So many of my friends were Native Americans growing up but we rarely talked about the things that reveal here. Please, keep it up. And Yankee, you keep it up as well!
I agree. I love anything Native American. I love the Native American philosophy of living in harmony with the earth. I wish we could all do that. The world would be a much better place for us and for our children. Please post some more of this type of information. I enjoy it, as I'm sure others do.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:03 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,957,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I agree. I love anything Native American. I love the Native American philosophy of living in harmony with the earth. I wish we could all do that. The world would be a much better place for us and for our children. Please post some more of this type of information. I enjoy it, as I'm sure others do.
I'm in total agreement with you colleen. We should have adopted MUCH from the various Tribes that lived in harmony with the land.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,631,388 times
I am pretty lucky because we go to a Creek language class. We are learning to speak a little. Sometimes we have history lessons, and sometimes we have cooking lessons. They let us come to the classes even if we are este-hvtke.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,563,186 times
Here is a link to the pipestone quarry, which is now under National Park Service.

Pipestone National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Back in the old days different tribes from all over Turtle Island (America) would go to this quarry to gather pipe stone. And even when traveling through traditional enemy's territory, no other tribes would fight them, because somehow it was known they were on a sacred journey.

Anyways, I have funny story from that trip I took. This sacred journey of my own took place after I had a dream. My friend, who is Pottawatomie, was working up on the Yankton Sioux Reservation went with me.

Well, when we pulled in to the Pipestone Quarry, we were met by a National Park Service Ranger who told me I could not quarry without a permit. I was told I would have to send in an application for a permit, but since it was 5:00 PM friday, and monday was a holiday, I was SOL. I told him I had to go back to work on tuesday and had driven over 500 miles.

I told the ranger we could not wait for a permit, as I had to get back to work in KS, and my people have been gathering this pipe stone for thousands of years. My long braids were standing out like Pippi Longstocking! (This was in my rowdy activist days) He tried to tell me I needed a wheelbarrel, a sledge, two kinds of shovels, etc etc ad nauseum.

Well, my friend -who was much calmer and older than I- came and pulled me away from that idiot ranger. A local sioux had been watching me argue with the Park Ranger and they had a good laugh. They said that ol' white man thinks he runs this place. Just wait a while and he will go home for the weekend. I said I'm going for a walk and a smoke.

To make a long story short, that sioux was a pipe maker and he and my friend had a good laugh at my expense. I still remember going for a walk and having a smoke while I told the Great Spirit those white men try my patience!!

Here is a pic of my friend who is Pottawatomie and French standing in the visitor center at Pipestone National Park. His name is muk-shie-men "Fish Swimming Upstream".

Old 12-08-2007, 03:16 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,366,042 times
Did the ranger leave, and did you then get what you wanted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma