Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,580,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS REB View Post
ACHILLE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A SPEED TRAP WHERE THE CURRENT JUDGE IS UNFAIR AND UNJUST. THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS CRAP-HOLE OF A TOWN TO SEE OR DO. SO MY FELLOW TEXANS AND PEOPLE FROM OTHER STATE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY DON'T GO THERE. CITY AND COUNTY LOADED WITH CROOKED PEOPLE MAINLY THE JUDGE THAT PRESIDES THERE AND THE SUPPOSE TO HONEST COPS (CHOKING ON THOSE WORDS). . YOU THE PEOPLE OF ACHILLE KNOW THIS TO BE FACT AND LET IT HAPPEN. STAND AND GET RID OF THESE OFFICIALS SO YOUR TOWN WILL QUIT GETTING SUCH A BAD RAP.
How does the fact that it is a speed trap translate into " CITY AND COUNTY LOADED WITH CROOKED PEOPLE"? How many of those people in the county do you know personally know to be crooked? Do you feel that they are somehow complicit by living there? Or they have somehow become crooked, like invasion of the body snatchers?

SPEEDER!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM

81 posts, read 255,957 times
The Texas Constitution forbids the teaching of two words in Texas schools.
a. Speed
B. Limit
They have no idea what those signs mean.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,175,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foonman50 View Post
The Texas Constitution forbids the teaching of two words in Texas schools.
a. Speed
B. Limit
They have no idea what those signs mean.
Lol... yeah especially the drivers in central Texas where the speed limit between Austin and Waco can range to 75 mph at times drivers will still hit 10 to 15 mph more. Tomorrow the new 85mph tollroad opens up on SH 130 between Austin and Seguin everybody is welcome to drive on it for free because it only last until Nov. 3 then you will have to pay. So if any Oklahomans traveling around Austin or San Antonio feel free to go that fast without having to worry about getting a ticket. :-)

Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM

17 posts, read 24,998 times
One advice everyone, no exceptions, needs to follow when traveling thru Oklahoma towns is to do this: STAY WITHIN THE SPEED LIMIT, period. It's a pain having to slow down, but a small price to pay for not getting late to your destination or having to part with what you'd call your hard-earned money. I'd been pulled over more times than I care to remember, but I'd managed to get by w/ warnings only. No tickets. Maybe the fact that I didn't give attitude had something to do with it. If you get pulled over, grind your teeth if you must, but at least be civil and get ready to cooperate.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,451,703 times
Calera is another speed trap town. The US 75 speed limit drops when you enter the city limits and they enforce it rigidly. No problem with the enforcement, but US 75 between Dallas and Durant has two stop lights all in Calera, combine that with the lower speed-limit and you have the bottle neck on what otherwise is like an interstate highway for this route. Every time I pass through and slow down and stop at the lights with the 18 wheelers I cant help but think, if Calera thinks stopping and slowing people down is going to help the town, they are badly mistaken. My impression is backward not a place to stop and frequent local businesses.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,262,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Calera is another speed trap town. The US 75 speed limit drops when you enter the city limits and they enforce it rigidly. No problem with the enforcement, but US 75 between Dallas and Durant has two stop lights all in Calera, combine that with the lower speed-limit and you have the bottle neck on what otherwise is like an interstate highway for this route. Every time I pass through and slow down and stop at the lights with the 18 wheelers I cant help but think, if Calera thinks stopping and slowing people down is going to help the town, they are badly mistaken. My impression is backward not a place to stop and frequent local businesses.
last year I had a buddy from Huntsville Alabama come up for a visit. We we drove down to Dallas for a few days. On our way back to Tulsa we drove back through Calera, Durant, Atoka... and my buddy ask "What the world is going on in Oklahoma"? He said after being in Texas for two days it looked like we were in a third world country after crossing the border. I explained to him that was the poorest part of Oklahoma and if we had used I-35 it would have looked better. But after him pointing that out, I have really noticed how bad that stretch of highway looks. Once you cross over into Oklahoma it seems all you see is trash on the side of the roads, junked and forgotten cars, hand painted signs, tired old wore out towns, and a sub standard highway littered with speed traps and traffic lights.

I wish ODOT would bypass these towns and cities. I know it would be very expensive but HY 69 needs to be brought up to interstate standards. In the past these little towns fought the notion of these bypasses, thinking it would hurt their towns if traffic speed around them. I never stop at any of these little towns to buy anything. A lot of towns that have been bypassed have had businesses spring up around the bypass, Checotah is a good example of that.

But I think HY 69 will forever remain the way it is, speed traps and all.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,451,703 times
Durant used to be a horor to go through but built the by pass and the town has boomed along that route. I know of plans to make US 75 an interestate but it is far from a slam dunk as some oppose it. I cant recall where 75 and 69 go their own way

Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,262,694 times
75 and 69 part ways in Atoka.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:54 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,340,675 times
If y'all haven't been on 85 A yet, there is a very clear reason to not only not speed in Bernice but to slow down and pay close attention. The reason is about 3 feet tall, has two feet. and it runs back and forth across the road to the bridge at all hours of the day and night year round.

Bernice is a very tiny, extremely tight knit community filled with grandparents who have grandchildren. If a speeding driver is stoopid enough to harm a child, I would not expect that driver to live to see the inside of the Jay jail. In fact, breathing until the sheriff arrived would not only be a long time, it would be a very painful and difficult.

I would worry more about my own skin a lot quicker than I would articles written by dummy's who have never driven on OK 85 A. I've probably driven through Bernice a hundred times.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,340,675 times
Don't like 75 or 69? Take your buddy for a tour of Big Mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma