Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:32 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times

Advertisements

We drove through the town of Eufaula yesterday. It is such a cute town, with many old buildings. I took some pics and I will try to figure out how to put them up here soon. There were some interesting looking shops and restaurants there also.

Lake Eufaula looked very beautiful yesterday. The water was sparkling and looked pretty clear. There are some beautiful homes with docks on the water. Eufaula is known for its sandy beaches, and the beaches looked so inviting.

Today I have to go to Dallas. Not looking forward to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM

450 posts, read 2,056,201 times
Smile Tell us more about the Big E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
We drove through the town of Eufaula yesterday. It is such a cute town, with many old buildings. I took some pics and I will try to figure out how to put them up here soon. There were some interesting looking shops and restaurants there also.

Lake Eufaula looked very beautiful yesterday. The water was sparkling and looked pretty clear. There are some beautiful homes with docks on the water. Eufaula is known for its sandy beaches, and the beaches looked so inviting.

Today I have to go to Dallas. Not looking forward to that.
Hi, peggyd. I am glad to hear that Eufala looks pretty clear. People on Grand insist that it is usually muddy. I have heard about those sandy beaches. Is it really sand--gravelly--or is it sort of mucky and clay-like?
I have got to get down there and look at that lake sometime. I think it is pretty shallow so there could be some big draw downs during low water. In other words, if you got a place on the lake you might find the water getting away from you--receding big time--and trouble launching a boat. Then again, I am not sure you can have a dock or boathouse on that lake. I believe it is a Corps Lake and that means you have to buy a slip at a marina that could be some distance away from your place. I look forward to any pics you may have. It is certainly a giant lake. The biggest in Oklahoma I believe--Thanks for your post.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Peggy, the future pics sound great!!! That's got to be my favorite parts of the forum. So would the water still be warm enough to actually go into it down there or lie on the sandy beach?

Hope you have an ok day in Dallas.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 AM

Hi Kurt

The beaches are sandy. The sand is washed down the rivers which are also very sandy. It is not one continuous beach, but smaller beaches scattered about. The water looked clear, but it is not a clear lake like Tenkiller or Murray that you would scuba dive in, also because the river water is stained. Stained is different than muddy, if you know what I mean.

I have a business neighbor who sold their place at Eufaula recently and moved to town. She told me that they lived right on the water and had their own dock. I also see from the road houses on the lake that have docks and boat slips. The whole shoreline is not populated, however, and that is nice for people to take their boat out and go to one of the beaches for the day. My neighbor did tell me that they got tired of the lake levels ups and downs. It is primarily a flood control lake so you do have that. Last year in the extreme drought to this year's high water would probably not happen that often.

I really have never been to Grand Lake. I hear so much about it on the forum. I just never had to go that far to find a lake. I think it is just a matter of what kind and size of boat you want, and what you want to do on your boat, not Grand vs Eufaula.

Hey Jammie

I am working on the pics thing. So far I can get the pic on my computer, and then (sometimes) onto the Flicker thing, but then I am stuck. I am going to have my daughter help me.

We have been having a cold snap here. Temps for highs only in the 70's. But I think it will warm up again. I am sure you can swim in the water through September and maybe October here. You could lie on a sandy beach for sure most days, and there are public beaches too.

Dallas was part really fun and part really terrible. The really terrible part was the driving home, but I am glad to be back home.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,201 times
Thumbs up Great post on Lake Eufala, thanks.

Thanks, Peggyd for the great post. I do look forward to the pictures. I have got to investigate those sandy beaches. I know exactly what you mean by "stained" and not "muddy" water. Grand gets stained too, even on the south end near the dam. No, it is nothing like Grand vs. Eufala. Both lakes have their own unique attributes. I do know that I am on deep water and the draw down does not affect my shoreline too much. I can always launch a boat. I am glad to hear there are docks on Eufala. It is very big and not as populated--I think some of the cheapest waterfront in Oklahoma can be found there. I have just got to investigate those beaches. Grand does not really have any sand--just limestone and flint or chert pebbles. The waves do sound neat when they wash against my pebbly beach. But I can't walk on the beach or in the water without rubber-soled shoes. Write some more and show us your pictures. Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
My dad was born in a small town near Eufala and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the town. I visited our Grandfather's grave there one time and recall it being a very out of the way place. Eufala is a huge lake. At one time it was the largest man made lake in the world, if I recall correctly.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:08 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
Eufaula is a very large lake....But I have to say that it is not clear at all. My Grandpa owned a house boat on the lake and the lake offers many docks and GREAT fishing. I have a connection to the lake in many ways and enjoyed it as a kid. But the water is brown and kinda gross....I am just comparing it to Grand and other natural lakes in the state of oklahoma. I would compare it to lake Texoma in many ways. But it is not developed like Texoma. It isnt bad or anything and has a lot to offer..but scenic beauty and clear water is something you will not find very often at Eufaula. Great fishing, many great docks and endless water....You will feel like you are in a ocean if you are somewhat in the middle and can easily get lost(but it will be brown). Which is a cool feeling. Def a lot of privacy. Bring binoculars!

It has been a long time since I have been there so I could be off a bit....It is still a great lake to enjoy. Lots of huge boats so it is certainley deep. Large Dam for catfish or noodling...

Old 09-14-2007, 07:37 PM

These are my pics we took in Eufaula

Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Nice photos Peggy. I can't wait to get there and see the area. I was to go to that Italian market and restaurant in that area, Krebs, I think the town is called.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:49 AM

We took these photos from our vehicle as we were driving through. I would like to go back next week someday and look around and spend some time. There is a place near there on highway 9 that sells kiwi trees and I want to plant one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma