Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,757 times

Advertisements

Contemplating a move to OK from a quaint old village in the Fingerlakes region of NY. We would like to live in a small town on a lake within an hour drive to OK City or Tulsa. Eufaula Lake looks interesting. Are there any small towns on the lake that might interest us? Schools are not an issue and we are retired so the economy in the immediate area is not a concern. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 06:57 PM

702 posts, read 2,516,517 times
Sounds like Grand Lake is your answer! There are only two lakes in the state where you can own property down to the water, Grand Lake and Hudson are the only two. Eufaula is a Corp of Engineer lake, same as most all other lakes in the state, except for Grand and Hudson, those are GRDA lakes. In fact Grand was named one of the top areas to retire to from Rand McNally and the Wall Street Journal. Some good reading on Grand:

http://www.grandlakechamber.org/pgs/areaprofile.htm (broken link)
http://www.grandlakevisitor.com/

Old 12-26-2007, 07:37 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
I live on Lake Eufaula. I grew up in Eufaula, moved away, and moved back again to raise my children in Checotah. It is a wonderful place to live. Sometimes the "cultural" things can leave some to be desired, but it is a small town. If ya want much "culture" you can go to OKC or Tulsa.
At least come by and see us before you decide on a "no" vote. It sure is a nice place.
And the fishing is next to none.
Karen

http://cityofeufaulaok.com/
http://eufaulachamberofcommerce.com/
http://www.checotah.com/index.html (broken link)
http://www.checotah.com/page4.html (broken link)

Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
The only problem with living in Eufala is that you'd probably be more than an hour away from OkC or Tulsa. If I had to take my pick it would be Grand Lake; a beautiful area. okpondlady, I'm certainly not putting down Eufala. My father was born there and my grandfather is buried near there. I just love Oklahoma!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
We've never been to Eufala, but I'm sure it's beautiful, too. But in our trip to OK, the place we fell in love with was Grand Lake. It's just the most beautiful lake and it has a lot of nice homes around it. Even though we spent most of our time in other areas, that's the place that was the best of all. It's at the foothills of the Ozarks and has the most beautiful scenery just south of there. I didn't really check the mileage, but I don't think it's much further then an hour away from Tulsa. It's also fairly near Joplin Mo. which we went through. It looks like Fayetville, Ar. isn't that far away either.

So, the best thing you could do is visit both places if you can. That way you'll never wonder if you ended up in the best spot.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I like the town of Eufaula. I think it is a quaint town, and it has a lot of shops etc. The town has an active community with many organizations. You would be closer to Tulsa, than OKC. You would be 2 hours from OKC, and 1 1/2 hours from Tulsa. Checotah is about 1 hour from Tulsa, 1 1/2 from OKC.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,504 times
We are currently staying in motel in Euafala while looking for a place to rent. I need something big. I have 4 kids living at home. 10 years up to 17 years. I need something that is at least 3 bedroom but the bigger the better. My husband is on a 3 to 4 year job in the Mcalester area and I am not concerned about the rent. I can pay up to 1500 per month but would prefer it to be about 700. We are neat clean people and will take great pride in living in your home. Thanks Kim

Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 9,431 times
Default private docks?

so Euafala is a corp lake? I didn't realize. I was told you could have waterfront prop and private docks.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 AM

702 posts, read 2,516,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieDave View Post
so Euafala is a corp lake? I didn't realize. I was told you could have waterfront prop and private docks.
Yes, it's a Corp of Engineer lake. You can have water front property on a corp lake, but it's use is very restricted. For instance, I know on Beaver lake (corp lake), if you don't purchase a home that already has a dock on it, you cannot add a dock at a later date. In other words, all new homes built cannot have docks, which kind of defeats the purpose of owning a water front home! Each corp lake I believe has it's own unique rules and regulations and often can be modified. You can see how much restriction there is on Eufaula from this shoreline management plan:

http://www.lakeeufaulaproperties.com/dynamic/content/1017/shoreline_management.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-22-2008, 03:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Grand is 50 miles long, If you like trees and nature, boating and sailing, freindly people, a good hospital/ life flight, pertty good chow abd not too far from larger towns then look at Grove. Joplin, Mo, Fayetteville, AR, Tulsa Ok, Kansas City, KS and St. Louis, MO are anywyere from 50 minutes to 5 hours drive time from Grove. It is ranked #3 or #4 retirement area in Rand every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma