Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 05:23 PM

410 posts, read 344,003 times

Advertisements

That is frustrating. Was there more significant rain nearby? Here in Texas we're on the 13th day of 100+ temps. The saving grace is we're not in a serious drought YET.

I hope that part of our nation's bread basket that is the great state of Oklahoma is not as dry as the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM

588 posts, read 1,324,435 times
It's been 52 days since we have had any rain in Norman, not counting the two times it sprinkled. It feels like we are in a desert during the summer, both this one and last summer. Really sad, I was expecting grass to stay green and there to be rain here and there throughout the summer, but I guess I had my hopes to high. The only glimmer of hope I see in the distant future is that we will likely be shifting to an El Niño which in turn usually calls for wetter cooler conditions. Might mean a little bit more snow this winter and more rain in the spring/summer next year.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,989 times
When is that shift going to take place. I am watering cows now!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,324,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
It's been 52 days since we have had any rain in Norman, not counting the two times it sprinkled. It feels like we are in a desert during the summer, both this one and last summer. Really sad, I was expecting grass to stay green and there to be rain here and there throughout the summer, but I guess I had my hopes to high. The only glimmer of hope I see in the distant future is that we will likely be shifting to an El Niño which in turn usually calls for wetter cooler conditions. Might mean a little bit more snow this winter and more rain in the spring/summer next year.
I'll take that. And you pegged it prefectly. I used to live in Riverside county, socal. Where I was was on the edge, but this was our regular summer. August you got the humidity from Arizona, and with all the lawns the regular humidity was up 20 percent. I remember August nights with 95 degrees, 60 percent humidity, and no wind. It was time to walk around for a few hours and shop in air conditioning.

I really want enough snow and cold to kill all the bug eggs. Ugh, they are AWFUL this year. My one victory was the flea spray I got really did work and the interior pets have needed not topicals after the first one. The latest invasion is flies...

Send in the snow!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 PM

34,263 posts, read 20,591,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I was noticing the cow ponds are starting to recede again. They really took a hit last summer. Most are already down several feet. The local lake has been down for over a couple of years.

Rocky, when is this pressure going to move?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM

26,482 posts, read 46,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
That is frustrating. Was there more significant rain nearby? Here in Texas we're on the 13th day of 100+ temps. The saving grace is we're not in a serious drought YET.

I hope that part of our nation's bread basket that is the great state of Oklahoma is not as dry as the midwest.
Oklahoma isn't Iowa... The wheat crop has taken a fairly big hit and just about anything else growing. You can't grow crops when air temperatures are near or above 100F every single day. Severe to extreme drought covers much of Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Late Fall into Winter there is a chance of an El Nino. Weak El Nino events will only mean a marginal increase in precip compared to a stronger event. I don't think the Climate Prediction Center is indicating that an El Nino event will be very strong this winter "if" it develops at all.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Late Fall into Winter there is a chance of an El Nino. Weak El Nino events will only mean a marginal increase in precip compared to a stronger event. I don't think the Climate Prediction Center is indicating that an El Nino event will be very strong this winter "if" it develops at all.

Climate Prediction Center: ENSO Diagnostic Discussion

Lots of uncertainty yet, but a weaker event is possible.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,729,650 times
Stillwater has its hottest day of summer today, 7/30/12, with temp up to 109 or 110. It helped cause a big wildfire a few miles east of town, not far from the fairgrounds. The massive smoke resulted in a pyrocumulus cloud you can see as shot in Stillwater at KOKH FOX 25 :: Top Stories - Stillwater Red Cross Evacuation Center
It's seems largely under control as darkness sits in, but with a number of hot spots and rekindling to worry about. A saving grace that kept the fire from getting worse was that it was not a very windy day

For July, my station in Stillwater managed to get .48 for rain. Another wunderground station on the far west side only got .12. I would imagine the lawns on that side of town are more evenly browned out.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:08 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,355,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

Climate Prediction Center: ENSO Diagnostic Discussion

Lots of uncertainty yet, but a weaker event is possible.

Interesting site but depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma