Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I can't believe it's time for the first mowing. That is just way too soon. More freezing weather, please. Not ready for spring chores.
Yeh, it's amazed me that my grass is greener in February/March than it was last June-September!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 6,815 times
Quote:
I can't believe it's time for the first mowing. That is just way too soon. More freezing weather, please. Not ready for spring chores.
NO. I'm loving this weather, got a lot of "spring chore" done already so I'm just enjoying the sun when it's good outside. (:

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM

24,307 posts, read 13,152,190 times
I have more time on my tractor mowing since Thanksgiving than during the summer of 2011. Just might have to resharp the blades and change the oil and hydraulics after all.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,607 times
If the latest data verifies, places like McAlester, Ada and Idabel will have a pretty significant dumping of rain commencing Wednesday night/Thursday morning and lasting into the weekend.. the bulk of the rain should occur on Thursday into Friday morning. Models are hinting of up to 4 inches east of Ardmore toward Ada.. I'm thinking more like 2-3 inches at most. North and west, an unsettled time but not near the rainfall expected. Could be barely cold enough for a few flakes of snow as close as Fairview to Alva on northwest by early in the weekend or maybe Friday.

Further ahead, with the wishy washiness of the model data, not giving any stock into anything for sure, but I see a potential active period after about the 20th. Back in December.. my forecast for March was colder than normal and above normal precip. Temperature wise now I see.. no chance will that verify, but rainfall amounts which I predicted around 4 inches for OKC just might come close.

Glad to see their is some input on here, keep it up. I still wonder if migrating this thread to the OKC and Tulsa sections might help it.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Default From droughts to floods..

If you love rain.. you'll get your fix between now and the end of the month. I'm now reasonably confident that an active and VERY WET pattern will evolve for Oklahoma, starting today. In the short term, look for a good soaking across the southeast 2/3rds of Oklahoma. My guess around 1 to 2 inches. This system should move out by tomorrow afternoon. Then a respite with much above normal temperatures until about Wednesday. It will feel more like May than March over most of the state.

Then we look towards next weekend.. this could be interesting IF the data pans out. High pressure over the southeast states will transport rich gulf moisture into the state and with a big trough of low pressure across the western states and a fast jet stream.. disturbances riding up in from New Mexico and Colorado will interact with that moisture and set off periods of heavy rain and thunderstorms. Weather conditions will probably be going down hill after Wednesday or Thursday. As of now, St. Patricks Day weekend looks quite wet. Unsettled conditions persist into the following week with another major storm system around the 20th-22nd. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some excessive rainfall totals during this period and I think here in OKC, our monthly totals could exceed as much as 5 inches, other places, much more. Despite the abysmal track record of the long range models this winter, I'm about 60% confident that at least we'll see an additional 2-4 inches of rain between now and the end of the month. Even the drought stricken panhandles of TX.&OK. should see some welcome relief. I'm concerned about severe weather with this, especially the week after next, and maybe St. Patty's day. Temperatures should overall stay above normal.. If you want snow.. Colorado may be a good place next weekend and the week after.

So, alot of fun and games in the weather department coming up so stay safe, watch the skies and chime in with what's happening in your corner of this great state.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I have more time on my tractor mowing since Thanksgiving than during the summer of 2011. Just might have to resharp the blades and change the oil and hydraulics after all.
Yep. That grass is a lush green and a growin' again.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Model data is still on track for a good soaking starting around Monday the 19th and lasting to around Wed. the 22nd. I'm fairly confident that a general 1 to 3 inch rainfall will take place throughout most of the state during this time frame. Localized severe weather is not out of the question but I'm not expecting anything widespread or significant due to projected wind shear profiles and overall not enough instability that would be conducive to such weather. Moisture fetch from the Gulf of Mexico will be prolific and as this interacts with the immense trough coming in from the western states, this will be the main culprit for the impending rainfall expected. Temperatures will stay grossly above normal through most of the period. I wouldn't be surprised that we may have seen our last freeze here in the OKC area for the season, although I do see a cool down by the end of the month and potentially some cooler than normal temperatures as we go into early April, but nothing unusually cold.

This is a fascinating pattern across the country. I've never seen such a huge area of above normal warmth like this before, but studying past patterns similar to this over the years, I'm confident that as we go into spring, we'll be hearing about a reversal in the weather pattern where late season snows and cold may occur (but not here in Oklahoma). One thing I do expect with this upcoming storm system is for some winter weather to occur in places you normally don't hear about, like the mountains east of San Diego CA. this weekend. That doesn't happen to often. More to follow.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,575 times
Next Mon or Tue may be interesting!
I would add more often to this thread but I already eat, drink, and sleep meteorology far to often.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Jack on the Jack and Ron show calls the news guy the "meaty urologist".

Anyone care to come over and pick up sticks? My yard has a whole fall and winter's worth of tree limbs and branches on the ground. Might be good exercise for goodpasture.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Jack on the Jack and Ron show calls the news guy the "meaty urologist".

Anyone care to come over and pick up sticks? My yard has a whole fall and winter's worth of tree limbs and branches on the ground. Might be good exercise for goodpasture.
Sticks, branches, leaves, and tree limbs, etc. need to meet my trusty Briggs&Stratton riding lawn mower. I just go right over the top of 'em. Can't remember the last time I sacked up leaves or limbs.

My lower back thanks me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma