Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:47 AM

197 posts, read 522,487 times

Advertisements

We PCSed to Fort Sill in June 2008. There are many many rentals here. But whatever you do..do not rent from Sundance realty, they are slum lords even though they do have alot of rentals. They are mean, nasty and you will never get your deposit back no matter how nice you leave the place. The best place to live in Lawton is on the East side. We were renting a 2 bedroom 1,000 sqft home for 750 a month on the north east side and then we decided to buy a house. We got our house in jan 2009. Its on the SE side in a great neighborhod. Its 1500 sqft 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, huge living room, fully updated, new energy star appliances, fireplace, walk in closets in all bedrooms, new privacy fenced in large backyard, big front yard, and huge covered back deck, double car garage with storm shelter and walk in attic...our mortgage payment is 644 a month, with taxes and insurance its 800 a month...only a 50 dollar difference. I have no idea how long we will be here (im hoping till my hubby retires hes been in 16 years) But if we do PCS again we will just rent it. It is defintely cheaper to buy then rent here, but buying isnt for everyone.
BUGS...Our last home had more scorpions in it then it did spiders...but we have a fair share of spiders too. I hate brown recluse...only beacuae I have been bitten by one before and had to have skin graphs done. The tarantulas are mostly in the mountain areas. I love Oklahoma...I have lived all over the world and Oklahoma is my favorite place we have ever been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM

12 posts, read 22,088 times
Hi West TexEx,
We are also moving to Ft.Sill,OK from El Paso,TX. WE can't wait to leave. How do you like it in Lawton so far?
We would like to rent a house not to close, but not far from base. We don't know how long it will take to get housing on base. Our son is only 22 monyhs old so we don't really have to look for school yet but we would like to rent a house in a nicer neighborhoods. I was looking online,try to found some rental around the Medicine Park area, but I didn't find any.
If you have any advice I would really appreciated or from anyone else who is reading this message.

Thank You, Roberta

Old 08-28-2009, 09:09 PM

12 posts, read 22,088 times
Hi ArmyWife94e

Do you know anything about Medicine Park house rentals? I don't find any online. We sre in El Paso,TX right now, but moving to Lawton about a month from now. I was asking around a lot and they said Medicine Park is a really nice place to leave, and not to far from the base.

Thank you, Roberta

Old 08-30-2009, 06:30 PM

197 posts, read 522,487 times
Medicine park is very tiny and very very hard to find rental homes in that area. Medicine park is more of a summer tourist town and the homes arent that nice of shape, but there are newer homes on the hill side for sale, they run around 400,000. If I were you Id would look for a home on the East side of Lawton...as I have said a million times before LOL. The East side is completely different from the west side of Lawton, It takes my husband aprox. 15 minutes to get to post. Medicne park is closer to post per say but it is located on the back half of post near the impact zone so by the time you drove to post gate, then drove through the back half post to get to work it would actually take longer than if you lived on the east side. We live on the farthest side of the east side and it takes my husband aprox 15 minutes to get to work. If you were to move to pioneer park addition on the north east side it would take about 5 minutes for you to get to key gate on post, rental homes run around 650 -800 in the pioneer park area and they run anywhere from 750-1300 here on the south east side. We own our house. I love where we live beacuse we are away from the booms, we can still hear them but they dont shake everything off the walls LOL. If you need any help just let me know, Im more then willing to help.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 08-31-2009 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Removed email for safety...

Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 35,861 times
This post had me laughing. I live in Lawton and the bugs aren't more of an issue than anywhere else. Just spray once a month and you shouldn't have problems. The neighborhoods are interesting in that there isn't a certain place you could easily isolate as the worst part of town. The bad neighborhoods are scattered.

With that being said....I am selling a house on the east side of town that anyone would say is a nice neighborhood. It is a four bedroom with a garage that has been remodeled with new tile, carpet, kitchen cabinets and stainless steel appliances. I have it listed with a realtor I truly trust. Her name is Sue Cabelka (580) 591-3362 She's a retired teacher and knows the area really well.

I like Lawton because it is large enough to have decent shopping and restaurants, a pretty neat museum and very good concerts and art exhibits but not so big that the traffic ruins my life. I hope find your niche.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 34,002 times
Default PCS again

Lawton is ok, but you just cant take texas out of the girl. We bought 5 acres off of 65 toward Duncan, pond, trees, 3 bedroom two bath huge shop and seperate garage. Central High School district. We have pcs to San Antonio and I'm thrilled. Closer to family, the Guadalupe, the Frio and my beloved bluebonnetts.
Fort Sill is growing and had quickly outgrown it's commissary and BX/PX. Lawton is preparing for the growth, but it seems a little on the slow side seems like roads are always under construction. It's a twenty minute drive to post if all is open. House is availible in september
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma