Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,488 times

Advertisements

Hello my husband and I are moving to Fort Sill. I heard that it is a very small marine presence. I would like to get any info on any marine activities as I have been very active on camp pendleton. Also, what is the normal weather like in the winter? thanks for any help that you can give...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Hiya! From what I have heard there really aren't many Marines at Ft. Sill. My hubby worked on base (non-military) for a year and he says he didn't see many.

Have you been to the Fort Sill Website? Here It also has a link to the MWR that might be able to guide you to the other Marine families up there.

We had a Nephew stationed at Pendleton a few years ago... spent quite a bit of time on their website myself!

Oh! One of the local TV stations up there is KSWO. That should give you an idea about the weather and some "local" news.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackadonis View Post
Hello my husband and I are moving to Fort Sill. I heard that it is a very small marine presence. I would like to get any info on any marine activities as I have been very active on camp pendleton. Also, what is the normal weather like in the winter? thanks for any help that you can give...
I can't give you much info on any Marine presents a Ft.Sill, but I can tell you that it can get real cold there. When the Hawk (Cold Wind) comes down past Mt.Scott and it's a dry stinging type of cold that cuts right though you.

I hope you enjoy your stay there, because I sure did back in the late 70's and early 80's for three years. The people back then were really nice folks. I'm hoping to return in 2008 for a visit to see what the old post looks like these days.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:52 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Hiya! From what I have heard there really aren't many Marines at Ft. Sill. My hubby worked on base (non-military) for a year and he says he didn't see many.

Have you been to the Fort Sill Website? Here It also has a link to the MWR that might be able to guide you to the other Marine families up there.

We had a Nephew stationed at Pendleton a few years ago... spent quite a bit of time on their website myself!

Oh! One of the local TV stations up there is KSWO. That should give you an idea about the weather and some "local" news.

Good Luck!!
Hey there LadyRobyn,

Thank you so much for the Ft. Sill web site. I spent about an hour looking at it myself. And it brought back alot old wonderful memories of when I was stationed at Sill from 79 til 82. Can ya tell my age now?
Well, anyway, again thank you so much for the link info. God Blees you and yours. And Happy Holidays to all.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Hey there LadyRobyn,

Thank you so much for the Ft. Sill web site. I spent about an hour looking at it myself. And it brought back alot old wonderful memories of when I was stationed at Sill from 79 til 82..
I'm glad you liked it! Did you find the on-base camera? When the hubby was working up there and a storm was coming in I would check the camera to see if he would be late getting home.

Quote:
Can ya tell my age now?
Well... if you went in right after High School, that would make you REALLY old!

Not as old as me though! I started to mention that my older brother was stationed at Ft. Bragg but I think he was there before you were born! http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/lmao.gif (broken link) (1952)

The base has changed a lot, just in the last year. The BRAC ruling is causing a LOT of remodeling and expansion. The hubby mentioned that the old artillery village was torn down not long ago.

Some of the old stuff is still there though, if we happen to go up that way I will be sure to take my camera and see what I can get pictures of (without annoying the MPs!! )

Old 12-14-2007, 10:44 PM

70 posts, read 284,283 times
The Marine Corps has an artillery detachment based aboard Fort Sill. A good number of Marines visit Fort Sill for various kinds of artillery training, including the cannon crewman course.

There's also enough Marines aboard Fort Sill at any time for the post to host a significant Marine Corps Ball every year.

Visit this website:
http://sill-www.army.mil/USMC/

In regards to the winter weather, it's usually not too bad. The area may get a couple of cold snaps where the temperature stays below freezing for a few days. It's pretty common for temperatures to warm up into the 50s and sometimes even the 60s during the winter months.

It's rare for Lawton to get more than a couple of significant snow falls during winter. Temperatures near or below zero are also very rare. Freezing rain and ice is a more common threat. This past Monday my electricity was knocked out for that ice storm (it was restored some time before sunrise Tuesday).

Old 06-11-2009, 08:47 PM

12 posts, read 22,076 times
Hi LadyRobin,

Where do I find the webcam on the sill website?
My husband and I maybe moving there to but we are not sure yet.
Thank you

Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 AM

Hi bigmove. Here is the link: Fort Sill, Oklahoma - Home of the Field Artillery* (http://sill-www.army.mil/INDEX/web_cam.htm - broken link) but unfortunately it looks like they have taken the Webcam offline. (last date in the window is 10/25/08)

If you are just wondering what the base looks like, drop me a DM and I will dig up some pictures for you.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,491 times
Does anyone have the number to Traffic Management Office for Ft Sill. The one on Camp Pendleton told me to call my closest office and that'd be Ft. Sill. thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembergirl86 View Post
Does anyone have the number to Traffic Management Office for Ft Sill. The one on Camp Pendleton told me to call my closest office and that'd be Ft. Sill. thanks
Couldn't find the exact number for Traffic Management but here is the entire directory for Sill: http://sill-www.army.mil/dhr/Admin_Svcs_Div/Staff_Dir/Internet.pdf (broken link) (The area code will be 580)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma