Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

OKC is not a big league city by any means. Its not a horrid place, but not that great either. Its just another typical growing city that is experiencing growth and catching up with the rest of civilization and that somehow means its "world class" or "big league". I see this happening all over the Sun Belt states and I just have to scratch my head and wonder what all the hype is about, especially considering that long-established cities such as San Fran, NYC, Chicago, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, etc, etc, experienced such things a looooooooooooong time ago. While people in the Sun Belt who live in cities that are just getting pro sports teams, public transportation, their first Trader Joe's (LOL), etc, might be all excited, its old news to us!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:50 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
OKC has a metro of 1.3 million and not too many things for which it's particularly famous or any industry on which it has a substantial piece of the national pie. It's a good and growing city, but it's still quite a few steps from top tier.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:47 PM

965 posts, read 1,885,916 times
Hell to the NO.

However, there are good things going for the city. They have to get to the level of the Charlottes and Nashvilles and Sacramentos of the country first though.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
OKC is not a big league city by any means. Its not a horrid place, but not that great either. Its just another typical growing city that is experiencing growth and catching up with the rest of civilization and that somehow means its "world class" or "big league". I see this happening all over the Sun Belt states and I just have to scratch my head and wonder what all the hype is about, especially considering that long-established cities such as San Fran, NYC, Chicago, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, etc, etc, experienced such things a looooooooooooong time ago. While people in the Sun Belt who live in cities that are just getting pro sports teams, public transportation, their first Trader Joe's (LOL), etc, might be all excited, its old news to us!
"Long-established" cities, according to above:

Chicago - 1837
Minneapolis - 1867
Pittsburgh - 1816
San Francisco - 1850

"Sun Belt" cities that aren't as good and are just getting pro sports teams, according to above:

Atlanta - 1837...first pro team 45 years ago
Houston - 1837...first pro team 50 years ago
New Orleans - 1804...first pro team 42 years ago
Los Angeles - 1850...first pro team 63 years ago
Dallas - 1856...first pro team 50 years ago

All of these cities (and many others) had rail transit as far back as the 1800s. New Orleans has the oldest streetcar system in the U.S. Atlanta has had it's MARTA heavy rail system for 30 years. Lots of cities, like Pittsburgh, don't have Trader Joe's - it's not THAT big. But it is many sun belt cities like LA, San Diego, Richmond, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc.

Nobody is trying to "catch up". Some cities have recently become larger and more important, like OKC, due to the huge influx of people from the Northeast and Midwest along with a ton of immigrants. But there is no need to characterize the entire region that way.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
I use to live in Tulsa and would frequent OKC. It is a decent city that is on the rise. It will have one of the tallest buidings in the central U.S. soon, the Devon Tower, 900 plus feet, taller than anything in Dallas. Big league city, having NBA team is a start but not a full fledge one just yet.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-15-2009 at 10:12 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
I am probably unique in that I lived in both Seattle and OKC. Seattle is borderline "world-class", and OKC is not even close. I understand why the new owner of the Sonics moved the team, (lack of political will and lack of taxpayer support to bail them out). but in the long run I truely believe it was a mistake. I would say that the liklihood the Thunder is still in OKC a decade from now is about 50-50. OKC is a nice, thriving, inexpensive city that may attract new companies and residents. And frankly, the climate is much better than Seattle (if you don't mind a few destructive tornadoes every now and then), but there is no comparison with Seattle among attributes of a major city. I understand this thread wasn't meant to be Seattle vs. OKC, but it was implied with the title, and the fact that is was placed in city vs. city. One big difference, Seattle is not crying as loud about a lack of an NBA franchise, as OKC is boasting about it. I think that says a lot.

Last edited by pw72; 11-15-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Is This A FARCE Thread....No..No..No.....

New York City...Los Angeles...Chicago are World Classed Cities , and
may I add Alpha's World Class Cities..along with San Francisco CA
OKLAHOMA CITY is not in that Class of city surely (You Jest)....
You Play NYC and LA...Chicago and that's means that you have
WORLD CLASS ENTERTAINMENT In Your Metro......

Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Oklahoma City is with Jacksonville, San Antonio, Sacramento etc.. No where near a large city like LA or even San Deigo. Its a mid sized city and I dont see it getting any bigger than that.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:25 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,131 times
Sacramento and San Antonio both have nearly 1 million more people than okc! Much larger cities. Jax would be more on the same level.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I use to live in Tulsa and would frequent OKC. It is a decent city that is on the rise. It will have one of the tallest buidings in the central U.S. soon, the Devon Tower, 900 plus feet, taller than anything in Dallas. Big league city, having NBA team is a start but not a full fledge one just yet.
The Devon Tower was supposed to be 925 feet making it taller than the Bank of America Plaza in Dallas but it has been shorten to 900 feet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City