Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:54 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,584,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Sacramento and San Antonio both have nearly 1 million more people than okc! Much larger cities. Jax would be more on the same level.
Yeah, I was questioning that too. I was like "what..."?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:00 PM

20 posts, read 26,172 times
Hell no! hehe.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,962,881 times
Oklahoma City is a very nice with a lot to do and see. I went to Oklahoma City in 2004, and I had a good time and I would recommend anyone who has never been there to definitely check it out. With that said, there is no way in hell I would consider it a "big league city." I consider Oklahoma City to be a mid-size metropolis, and I think it does a great job at being that. I would say it is a bit more "big league" than similar size places such as Fresno, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Richmond, Louisville, Tucson, Birmingham, or Albany. I would say that it is moving closer towards cities like Memphis, Nashville, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, Sacramento, Columbus, and Orlando. Haha it is definitely the combination of New York, Chicago, LA, and Houston that the video tries to pass it off as.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,944,178 times
I'd put OKC above most of the mid size rust belt cities that have been mentioned (Albany?!?). OKC is much better than Albany.

I'd also say OKC is one of the better Sunbelt cities... around places such as Austin, Tucson, Orlando, Jacksonville.....

Really I'd say OKC is a direct parallel to Austin (similar size, they both have huge colleges that hate the other one, decent activities, decent healthcare, state capitals...) the difference being Austin is very liberal and OKC is still pretty conservative...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM

46 posts, read 163,999 times
I will say this, I lived in the OKC metro from 2002 to mid 2008. During that time, I saw the city completely transform into something ten times better than what it was. Since then I've been through San Antonio and now Biloxi, MS. I keep track of all the goings on in OKC via this forum and newsOK etc etc.

That being said, i have the upmost regard for OKC. I consider it my home, I love it and CANNOT wait to retire there. BUT I will say, as far as it being a big-league city, no, not now, maybe in 5-10 years. The list of what I love about OKC can go on and on, enough to start a few new topics. What i don't like about the city can fit on one posting and directly relates to the current topic.

OKC is not a big league city because:

1. lack of amenities. Im still in my twenties. It takes a lot to keep me entertained and I have some extreme tastes. Half the time OKC left me yearning for more.

2. lack of diversity. 'nuff said. i should have quoted it, but someone in this topic has already made this point.

3. I am also about as left-wing as you can get. (this is also a reason why i like Oklahoma) I love to stir things up my right-winged friends by questioning everything they thought to be 'fact' or 'the right way'. It's because i think outside of my own little world and see things from every perspective I can percieve. BUT most people from my side of the political realm who ever pass through my home state of the red, don't share the same frame of mind or optimism. They hate how conservative EVERYONE seems to be (sorry to say 'everyone' but it is darn close, i'll try to find a statistic, if any, on this). Everyone seems to have the "I'm right, you're wrong and that's the way God intended it to be" attitude. For this reason alone I believe is keeping OKC from being a 'big-league city". There are HUGE progressive strides being taken but still a while to go. Huge for OKC standards that is...

4. Density, <900 people per square mile. IMO, a city that doesnt 'feel' like a big city, is not a "big-leage city."(although it is awesome to not have to deal with traffic and being able to have a huge back yard for dirt cheap)

It is what it is. Like I said, OKC is my home and i'll be home for Christmas and I can't wait. But I always hated hearing the city leaders using the term "big-league city". I honestly thought it was just something that they made up to get everyone on bored for a sales tax increase...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:37 PM

631 posts, read 1,576,158 times
i personally like OKC but i wouldn't call it a 'Big League' city yet. Sure it's fairly decently sized with plenty of things to do and see with over half a million residents (1.5 mill in the metro i think), but it just doesn't quite stack up to a city like Chicago or LA. If i were to rank OKC i'd call it a mid-tier city, on par with places like Denver, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Seattle. Give it another decade or two and it'll be up there with the rest of them.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:15 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
i personally like OKC but i wouldn't call it a 'Big League' city yet. Sure it's fairly decently sized with plenty of things to do and see with over half a million residents (1.5 mill in the metro i think), but it just doesn't quite stack up to a city like Chicago or LA. If i were to rank OKC i'd call it a mid-tier city, on par with places like Denver, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Seattle. Give it another decade or two and it'll be up there with the rest of them.
I don't even think OKC is up there with Denver, KC, Milwaukee, and Seattle. They are just a tier above. Right now, OKC is at the level of Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Austin, and Fresno.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:50 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
Default Shot For The MOON OKC And If You Miss Land Among The Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

YouTube - Oklahoma City - A Better Living, A Better Life

Agree or disagree? Is OKC ready to join ranks with the NYCs, LAs, and Houstons of the nation?
I'm from OKLAFornia sort of like 40% OK and 55% Cali left TULSA OK
in 1976.......now Oklahoma City you realizes that you just opened a
can of worms....yeah the kind of stuff that nightmares are made of!!!
YOU WON'T Hear A Response From California , but please cover your
ears for the response from The EAST COAST Cities and Chicago it WON'T
Be Pretty....BUT YOUR CITY (PR) DEPT IS BRILLIANT>>>HAND CLAPS.....
Keep Up The GOOD WORK.
P.S. Rookie Here Are The Cities That Play In Your League.....
Charlotte
Raleigh
Indianapolis
Nashville
Menphis
San Antonio
Salt Lake City
New Orleans
Portland
Sacramento.....nuff said..!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:17 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,514,140 times
My guess is that the OP (bchris) posted this totally in jest and sarcasm. I think I remember him being from Fort Smith, AR....and he essentially had a negative view of Oklahoma culture/life along with his homestate since OK and AR are very similar.

Just my guess. Can't prove it. But going off the cheesiness of the video, I'm betting bchris is simply poking fun at those backward Okies....and to some extent the residents of his homestate.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
OKC could be ranked along with Seattle and Denver only in the broadest construction of tiers, meaning tier 1 is 5 million people+, tier 2 is 1 million to 5 million, and then tier 3 is everything else.....But on any practical level, OKC is not in the league of those cities. If you even get slightly more narrow with your tierrs (dividing the 1 million+ group of cities into 3 or 4 tiers) OKC would be in the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City