Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 PM

656 posts, read 2,316,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
They have most recently had flooding which was the final straw for the local Elks Lodge. Msft bought a software company and I guess some still work there in town (online). Marathon has since moved their hq..... but still a nice place to live.
The BPOE lodge closed after the one in August. The one this month just added insult to injury. The software company you're talking about was a progression. It went from Solomon Software to Great Plains, Inc. to Microsoft. I believe there's a Microsoft office on the west side of I-75 on Co. Rd. 99.

Marathon's still there, and still employs many people, however the title of HQ did indeed go down to TX since the mid-90's. That's a link in the chain that needs to be replaced before too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
That's kind of surprising. Findlay is supposed to have a very strong economy, or at least it used to back in the 1990's.
Well, the OP was mistaken on her assertion. It's the seventh lowest, not the fourth largest. I'm not sure where she got her information, but it's inaccurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 14,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Marathon has since moved their hq..... but still a nice place to live.
Marathon's upstream division headquarters is no longer in Findlay, but its downstream division headquarters are still going strong in Findlay and employing a significant number of Findlay residents.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,861 times
My husband is a physician who will be employed by Blanchard Valley Hospital-- I don't know if health care or any of the ancillary areas thereof might be an option for you, but the hospital is BEAUTIFUL-- especially for a smaller town.

When we went on a recruitment visit, we were given a community overview by a local realtor. He did a great job of describing neighborhoods, not just houses for sale and did a lot about the economics of Findlay. Apparently several years ago, there was an attempted hostile back over of Marathon by BP. It didn't happen, but the economic leaders then realized that they had too many of their economic eggs in too few baskets--to quote the realtor. I thought he said that Marathon marketing is still in Findlay. Also all Whirlpool dishwashers are made in Findlay. There is an aluminium can plant and the tire company. Also there are regional distribution centers for Best Buy and either Lowes or Home Depot (I'm currently having a brain fart and can't remember). They also have something like 8 foreign companies that they have enticed to Findlay.

There is a mall, which I have not yet been into, and a Kohl's. Perhaps retail is an option, but I wouldn't think the pay would be great.

Don't know if this helps at all, but it is what I know so far.... We'll be coming sometime between June and August....

Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 AM

656 posts, read 2,316,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
There is an aluminium can plant and the tire company.
Ball Metal and Cooper Tire & Rubber.

Quote:
Also there are regional distribution centers for Best Buy and either Lowes or Home Depot (I'm currently having a brain fart and can't remember).
Kohl's Distribution Center
7855 County Road 140

Lowe's Distribution Center‎
12700 County Road 212

Best Buy Distribution Center‎
14401 County Road 212

Quote:
They also have something like 8 foreign companies that they have enticed to Findlay.
Re: Hi-San, et al., the Tall Timbers commerce park

Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,215 times
well you all doing alot better than we are in TN,we r almost 10% unemployment here and cost of living keeps rising,i may move up there Skip Wilson

Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,023,828 times
Most of NW Ohio is hard hit in the past year with jobs and layoffs. Findlay is surviving better than a lot of other small towns, but certainly not great. If you do get a job, hold on to it. If it were me, and I had a decent job where I was, I'd stay put because finding employment on the West side of the state is a challenge.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,505 times
I agree, jobs are very difficult in this area. Our state has been hit hard in these rough times and while the cost of living here may be less than other states, or other areas in Ohio for that matter, the pay is CONSIDERABLY less and it wouldn't balance itself out with the cost of living.

It is very unfortunate because Findlay is a nice area and Perrysburg and Toledo are not far drives at all. Compared to Lima, Findlay would probably appear to be thriving! But I would have to agree with others that this may not be the best idea...financially that is. There are a lot of people trying to get out of the area rather than people coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio