Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 25,950 times

Advertisements

First off, I am moving to Findlay next week for a new job from Murfreesboro Tennessee. I am 26 and single. I am searching for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in the $400-$550 a month range. It needs to be clean, non smoking unit that does not have loud neighbors. I am also looking to meet some of the locals.

1. Can anyone recommend some of the best apartments for the price or which ones to avoid?

2. Do I really need a garage? If I don't have one, how much time does it take in the morning to get the snow off my car. Could I instead buy a car cover and just pull it off in the morning before I go work to save time?

3. Also, I'm studying Japanese and wanting as much practice as I can get by making some new Japanese friends. Would the University of Findlay be the best place
for me to start looking? I heard they have a lot of exchange students there.

4. Are there any decent places to snowboard within driving distance or that I can take a bus to?

Last edited by neokeelo; 05-05-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
1. No idea.
2. 10 minutes maybe? Gives your car a few minutes to heat up. Never heard of the car cover idea. I think that would be far more trouble then it would be worth.
3. No idea.
4. Believe it or not there are actually a few places to snowboard.
Alpine Valley: Downhill Skiing, Snowboarding, and Snow Tubing in Ohio
Ski. Ride. Tube. | Boston Mills Brandywine

Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM

14 posts, read 24,832 times
I can only answer #2 . Living in Cincinnati I just moved to a place without a garage and it sucks in the winter. You would think its not to big of a deal but it really saves time not to scrape the windows, let the car warm up, ect. Your car will also thank you if you can keep the elements from abusing it.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Yea but if I want a place with a garage its like an extra $100 a month, im not sure if its worth it..

Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
^A good way to avoid the garage is to have a remote starter, that way you can leave the defroster on high and melt the ice and snow from the comfort of your home.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 AM

313 posts, read 1,194,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo View Post
First off, I am moving to Findlay next week for a new job from Murfreesboro Tennessee. I am 26 and single. I am searching for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment in the $400-$550 a month range. It needs to be clean, non smoking unit that does not have loud neighbors. I am also looking to meet some of the locals.

1. Can anyone recommend some of the best apartments for the price or which ones to avoid?

2. Do I really need a garage? If I don't have one, how much time does it take in the morning to get the snow off my car. Could I instead buy a car cover and just pull it off in the morning before I go work to save time?

3. Also, I'm studying Japanese and wanting as much practice as I can get by making some new Japanese friends. Would the University of Findlay be the best place
for me to start looking? I heard they have a lot of exchange students there.

4. Are there any decent places to snowboard within driving distance or that I can take a bus to?
First, welcome! We've been here for nearly 2 years and LOVE it. I hope that you'll enjoy it too!

1. I don't know about the apartment,s so I can't help with that. I wonder if you go to realtor.com if you might find a house for rent in that range...

2. For me it isn't so much on the mornings with big snowfalls, snow is quick to remove. But the days when there is frost or ice. And it could take you about 10 minutes to get cleared off. Good advise to make sure you start the car about 10 minutes early. I don't know of anyone in OH or my former MI that uses a car cover to avoid snow removal.

3. You could try the University. I know that there is quite a contingency of Japanese folks who work for several companies in town, so there are Japanese as a first language speakers here. There are a couple of restaurants, where you might hang out and ask around about younger Japanese speakers to hang with, including: Asian Grill (across from the mall), Japan West(Downtown on Main Street) and perhaps the new Royal Buffett(on Tiffin Ave at 236, across from the Wal-Mart).

4. Snowboarding. There are a couple of places within an hour to 2 hour drive. There is a place in Bellefountaine(South off of 75) and another in Mansfield (to the south-east). (As a bonus, Mansfield also has a Target and most major stores.)Then if you drive into MI there is Alpine Valley, Pine Knob, Mt. Brighton, Mt. Holly... all about 2- 2.5 hours. Now if you want good skiing, take a weekend and go up to Boyne, MI. That's about a 5 hour drive, but well worth it and they always have great deals and activities going on!

Please feel free to private message if you have any other questions!

And again, welcome!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo View Post

3. Also, I'm studying Japanese and wanting as much practice as I can get by making some new Japanese friends. Would the University of Findlay be the best place for me to start looking? I heard they have a lot of exchange students there.

Usually the apartments within a short driving distance of the University of Findlay are rented out by the student body. Most of them are quiet, but some of them aren't. The ones that I really don't find impressive are are Charleston, Crestwood, Inverness, and the southern part of Westmoor. I used to live in the northern part of Westmoor about four years ago, and it was alright I suppose. If I had to do it all over again, I would shoot for a second story apartment. You can hear people walk above you.

If you were to name a specific apartment complex, then I can be a little more helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
2. For me it isn't so much on the mornings with big snowfalls, snow is quick to remove. But the days when there is frost or ice. And it could take you about 10 minutes to get cleared off. Good advise to make sure you start the car about 10 minutes early. I don't know of anyone in OH or my former MI that uses a car cover to avoid snow removal.
I agree. Snow is a quick wipe off, but it's an arduous task when I have to use the ice chisel edge of the scraper. I never used a car cover, as I would be concerned it'd stick to the car. Although, I never laid the money down to test that out.

Quote:
3. You could try the University. I know that there is quite a contingency of Japanese folks who work for several companies in town, so there are Japanese as a first language speakers here. There are a couple of restaurants, where you might hang out and ask around about younger Japanese speakers to hang with, including: Asian Grill (across from the mall), Japan West(Downtown on Main Street) and perhaps the new Royal Buffett(on Tiffin Ave at 236, across from the Wal-Mart).
Tall Timbers brought in a few Japanese owned businesses out on the east side of town, and the University has its share of Japanese students and faculty. The Japanese students do stop by the coffee house across from the U of F (George House Coffee & Tea Co.) to do their homework. That may be a casual enough place to strike up a conversation.

Quote:
4. Snowboarding. There are a couple of places within an hour to 2 hour drive. There is a place in Bellefountaine(South off of 75) and another in Mansfield (to the south-east). (As a bonus, Mansfield also has a Target and most major stores.)Then if you drive into MI there is Alpine Valley, Pine Knob, Mt. Brighton, Mt. Holly... all about 2- 2.5 hours. Now if you want good skiing, take a weekend and go up to Boyne, MI. That's about a 5 hour drive, but well worth it and they always have great deals and activities going on!
My intuition tells me that all of the Michigan areas are much better for snowboarding. It's all attainable by car; I wouldn't bother with a bus.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM

ok thanks for all the info guys, For an apartment, I am currently looking at the following places

1. Springwood Apartments
820 West Bigelow Avenue

2.Winthrop Terrace Apartments
Winthrop Terrace of Findlay Apartments For Rent in Findlay, Ohio - Apartment Rental and Community Amenities - ForRent.com

3. Westmoore Terrace
Westmoor Terrace in Findlay, OH. View Photos, Rates, Features and Reviews

4.Crystal Glen apartments
Crystal Glen Apartments For Rent in Findlay, Ohio - Apartment Rental and Community Amenities - ForRent.com

5. The Arbors at Findlay
Arbors of Findlay Apartments For Rent in Findlay, Ohio - Apartment Rental and Community Amenities - ForRent.com
Pricey $620 for 1BR but they look really nice.

Anyone know about any of these?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
If it were up to me, I wouldn't rent in 1, 2, or 4. 3's serviceable, but nothing real special. It'll do the job, but the walls are a little thin.

While there's no truly "bad" part of town, The Arbors at Findlay is the newest construction by far. Most apartment complexes around here are ticky-tacky, but then again, you're only renting.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 15,057 times
there are lots of rentals that are not complexs, there is one next to me that is is in the 550 range and it has a garage. yes it is something to consider. there will be a day or two that you will not be able to get to work even with a clean car.
the place i know of is close to the fairgrounds which for 1 week a year can be a pain but mostly it is a quiet and clean part of town.
the landlords are joe and bev keller 419-423-8480
i have rented from them for years and they have places all around town
do not rent a place where you have to park on the street you could be snowed in daily .
i'm guessing you work for whirlpool it is close to where i work and early morning takes about 10mins.
later in the day 15 or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio