Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 PM

285 posts, read 642,804 times

Advertisements

Findlay, Ohio is one of the only areas in Northwest Ohio that is growing and has been growing consistently. Are there any new economic developments for the area? Does anyone know of any population projections? It would be interesting if the population of Toledo continues to decline while Findlay becomes the main city in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,028,553 times
^ Most certainly a provocative posting that begs for further comment. Although I'm not qualified to provide that, let's hope that NW Ohio posters "in the know" follow up on this one.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM

656 posts, read 2,316,568 times
I'm not sure what to say; I'm a little mystified myself. There aren't any major projects in the works, unless you want to count the two replacement middle schools being built. Man, those things look like prisons without guard towers. As I remember public school, it felt like being imprisoned. Maybe that's fitting?

Cooper Tire & Rubber has been belly-aching about profits and threatening several times to leave. Marathon only expanded their positions by 400, and that was a little over a year ago. The downtown buildings are catching fire or rotting away. The mayor likes to contract services out of town (i.e. Dublin), instead of putting her faith in local businesses. It floods frequently, and there's a lot of Sturm und Drang about fixing it. There are still plenty of empty storefronts, either downtown or in strip malls on the east side and we lost one of the few restaurants worth keeping.

The roads need essential maintenance and widening, as the usage has noticeably picked up. Like all fiscally conservative towns, nobody wants to chip in tax money to get them up to par. Public transportation falls flat on its face here, and will continue to do so until people cooperate. I see too many out-of-state plates, which means people are riding on their old licenses. I'd wager to say they're still on the fence about being here. I really don't know why they wouldn't though. Tags here are fairly cheap in Hancock.

Aside from these legitimate obstacles, the planning commission has added on more housing developments, apartment complexes and dollar stores... and for what? It's not an essential city to anything, as Cooper is fond of pointing out. It's a suburb with no large city to attach itself to, and a community with little sense of what that means. It's terribly granular with a healthy dollop of apathy. Maybe people are using it to wait out the economy and go somewhere else, when it picks up?

I can't even get a decent flight out of the municipal airport, for crying out loud! I would have to drive to Columbus or take a puddle jumper from Toledo to Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: