Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 AM

12 posts, read 78,057 times

Advertisements

Hello just wondering how the school system overall is in findlay??

Also, do they have a target ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM

656 posts, read 2,314,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo22 View Post
Hello, just wondering how the school system overall is in Findlay? Also, do they have a target?
I remember reading an article in the Courier back in August about the "Ohio School District Report Cards" where they reached 26 out of 30 objectives. The only school system that got all 30 around here was Bluffton, and I'm sure that would be Findlay City School's goal.

Here's the digest of the article:

Most area school districts achieve 'effective' status
Courier, The (Findlay, OH)
Publish Date: August 15, 2007
Page: 01

The one word that describes school districts in Findlay/Hancock County and the surrounding area appears to be "effective," based on the results of the 2006-07 Ohio School District Report Cards, which where released Tuesday by the Ohio Department of Education. While area schools are doing a good job meeting state standards, most are falling short of the federal "adequate yearly progress" or AYP standard.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
I remember reading an article in the Courier back in August about the "Ohio School District Report Cards" where they reached 26 out of 30 objectives. The only school system that got all 30 around here was Bluffton, and I'm sure that would be Findlay City School's goal.

Here's the digest of the article:

Most area school districts achieve 'effective' status
Courier, The (Findlay, OH)
Publish Date: August 15, 2007
Page: 01

The one word that describes school districts in Findlay/Hancock County and the surrounding area appears to be "effective," based on the results of the 2006-07 Ohio School District Report Cards, which where released Tuesday by the Ohio Department of Education. While area schools are doing a good job meeting state standards, most are falling short of the federal "adequate yearly progress" or AYP standard.
Did this help at all?

Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,169 times
Default Moving to Findlay?

My husband has an opportunity for a job in Findlay.
We have never been there.
We would be looking for a neighborhood with lots that are a couple acres or in the country... good schools... maybe a more upscale part of town.

We are moving from Michigan where we have lived all our lives.
My husband is in the automotive industry (or was) ... so I guess that says it all.
The kids are not keen on the idea of moving to Ohio. Our oldest son is a Jr. in High School. The only school that he has ever attended, and he has a girlfriend of over a year that he does not want to leave also.

We also have a college age daughter and an 8 year old son. They are not as against the move, but still, this is our home.

We will need to lease a home until our home in Michigan sells ( so for a long time). The new company will pay the lease for 18-24 months.

Any advise on the best area... within a 30 minute commute to Findlay would be great.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead86 View Post
We would be looking for a neighborhood with lots that are a couple acres or in the country... good schools... maybe a more upscale part of town.

The kids are not keen on the idea of moving to Ohio. Our oldest son is a Jr. in High School. The only school that he has ever attended, and he has a girlfriend of over a year that he does not want to leave also.

We also have a college age daughter and an 8 year old son. They are not as against the move, but still, this is our home.

We will need to lease a home until our home in Michigan sells ( so for a long time). The new company will pay the lease for 18-24 months.

Any advise on the best area... within a 30 minute commute to Findlay would be great.
A 30 minute commute would pull you in from Bowling Green to Bluffton. I would also wager to say any corner of Hancock Co. can reach Findlay within 30 minutes. Bluffton's (Allen Co.) a very nice, quaint little town with a good school system and the Bluffton College. You wouldn't have problems getting acreage out there.

Bowling Green's (Wood Co.) the same way. It might be a little more of a college town with BGSU, but I don't think the school system is out of whack (or at least that I've heard).

Keys to remember about Findlay are that it's expanding eastward. There are some large developments out on Co. Rd. 236 just south of Tiffin Avenue. They are fairly new houses, and massive. The old money still resides on the south side of town just past Lincoln St. right down South Main St. near Donnell Stadium.

There's only one High School in Findlay, and three middle schools. So you don't have a huge amount of choice in the matter. The University of Findlay's the city's liberal arts college, with Owens being the technical college in town. The closest state college is Bowling Green.

You may also want to check out the Liberty-Benton school district and the developments that surround it.

Just as an aside, I have a feeling your HS aged son will hate every minute of it. There are plenty of people who bash the city already, and the people who don't mind are tired of arguing with them.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 AM

313 posts, read 1,194,897 times
Alas, there is no Target. (It was one of my first questions and nearly a deal-breaker.) The closest is in Toledo, about 45 minutes away. HOWEVER, I've been told that one should be coming. I think that they even have a location picked out.

While it is not the same, they do have Meijer and a Wal-Mart or 2. They also have a decent sized Kohls. There is a smallish mall in Findlay, but the nearest "good" mall is also in Toledo. And it is a nice mall! Franklin Park has some pretty decent stores in a nice setting.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
Alas, there is no Target. (It was one of my first questions and nearly a deal-breaker.) The closest is in Toledo, about 45 minutes away. HOWEVER, I've been told that one should be coming. I think that they even have a location picked out.

While it is not the same, they do have Meijer and a Wal-Mart or 2. They also have a decent sized Kohls. There is a smallish mall in Findlay, but the nearest "good" mall is also in Toledo. And it is a nice mall! Franklin Park has some pretty decent stores in a nice setting.
That's been a rumor for years. Last I read (mid-July of last year), corporate did not have any interest in the Findlay area. If I were to base it on the Olive Garden example, I'd give it roughly 6 to 8 more years.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
City Website:
City of Findlay : Welcome to the City of Findlay website (http://www.ci.findlay.oh.us./ - broken link)

Findlay is a little growing city, nice country side, and has a pretty good economy. The Findlay reservoir is a great area to go boating. The Van Buren State Park is just north of the city. Van Buren State Park.

If you want the larger cities, Toledo is only 43 miles away, Columbus is 98. Toledo has some great shopping, like the Southwyck Mall. Booming Columbus has the Easton Town Centre, huge outdoor shopping mall. Easton Town Center :: Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Columbus, Ohio

Findlay is a great little growing city that has quite a bit to offer, and many large cities nearby, and a great position along the interstate.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Toledo has some great shopping, like the Southwyck Mall.
Suffice to say, the
Southwyck Mall's all but dead. The Franklin Park Mall on Monroe's still loaded up last time I was there, and I think a lot of stores got sucked out to the Fallen Timbers Mall.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,173 times
Toledo (Perrysburg) also has an outdoor mall like Fallen Timbers called Levi's Commons. I've been to both and Franklin Park and they are all pretty nice malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: