Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 PM

11,067 posts, read 12,466,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFL22 View Post
Elitist, much? Look I don't like Ohio, but at least I have valid reasons. I happen to be one of those rednecks who love ruff gritty stuff. I'm from New York (and it's an awesome city but some aspects of it get boring after a while. I like gritty roads). My reasons for not liking Ohio are valid, such as racism and arrogance.
Uncalled for comment.
lol yes Ohio, famous for its arrogance. That is the reputation nationwide for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM

19 posts, read 11,572 times
Default Cleveland at least

people there give you nasty looks. I've been there.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
I live in southern Ohio love the river and rolling hills people are mostly friendly.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:15 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Elitist, much? Look I don't like Ohio, but at least I have valid reasons. I happen to be one of those rednecks who love ruff gritty stuff. I'm from New York (and it's an awesome city but some aspects of it get boring after a while. I like gritty roads). My reasons for not liking Ohio are valid, such as racism and arrogance.
Uncalled for comment.
So you're promoting... the South? Don't they still burn black churches down there?

Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 PM

Default The South

Yes I am. I am part Hispanic I can tell you I've never dealt with racism like I have up North... and no they don't burn churches anymore.
Last time they burned a church of non-white was 1963.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:03 PM

949 posts, read 573,485 times
Good luck finding a place that is not in the same position.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 PM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
A 12-year-old thread! Soon it will become a teenager, knowing everything.

Ohio isn't particularly awful. I say this as a transplant, who relocated here for career-reasons and has abided locally for decades. Yes, I prefer the Coasts. But one takes what one can get. Ohio is emblematic of the Midwest, the Heartland, the sort of America that's featured so vehemently over in the Politics forum. Between the Appalachians and the Rockies, there really isn't much difference, either positive or negative. It is what it is.

Harsh climate? It's continental. It is the reality in most of North America. The places with mild climate are few, and generally expensive. Vast swathes of America find themselves north of the Jet Stream in winter, but influenced by Caribbean patterns in the summer; thus, extremes. Where it to have been precisely the opposite, the climate would have been more pleasant in both summer and winter. But that is not the case. It's not Ohio's fault.

The real reason to be, shall we say, skeptical of local conditions, is the dearth of economic vitality. Our nearest city was the "Silicon Valley of the early 20th century". It is not the Silicon Valley of the 21st. Massive, irreversible trends have not been kind to this locale. Wiser political decisions could indeed have helped, but only so much. Leveling blame is emotionally therapeutic, but largely misplaced.

That said, I came here for career-purposes. Maybe career-purposes would eventually take me elsewhere. Personally, I hope so. But hope alone is insufficient. One plods along, as best as one might, finding cheer where one can. Finally, spring has arrived, even locally. Let's at least take solace in that!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Yes I am. I am part Hispanic I can tell you I've never dealt with racism like I have up North... and no they don't burn churches anymore.
Last time they burned a church of non-white was 1963.
1963, huh?
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-after-n995536

It took all of 3 seconds to find a recent example. Racism exists everywhere, but the South hasn't lost its touch.

Also, you do realize, or maybe not, that "Hispanic" isn't a race, per se. Hispanic means "of Spanish-speaking origin", which includes large parts of North and South America, but also Spain. Hispanics can be of any race, including white. This is different from "Latino" or "Latinx" as is being used more, which just describes anyone from Latin America. Latin Americans don't all speak Spanish, but can also be of any race. Someone can be Latino, but not Hispanic, for example. A lot of Americans are rather ignorant about this, as they assume that "Hispanic" or "Latino" are interchangeable and mean brown, Spanish-speaking person. To be sure, many are, but not all. Anyone who goes to say, Oaxaca in Mexico vs. anywhere in Argentina vs. Cuba or the Dominican Republic will be able to see there's a wide variety of people in the category.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
1963, huh?

It took all of 3 seconds to find a recent example. Racism exists everywhere, but the South hasn't lost its touch.

Also, you do realize, or maybe not, that "Hispanic" isn't a race, per se. Hispanic means "of Spanish-speaking origin", which includes large parts of North and South America, but also Spain. Hispanics can be of any race, including white. This is different from "Latino" or "Latinx" as is being used more, which just describes anyone from Latin America. Latin Americans don't all speak Spanish, but can also be of any race. Someone can be Latino, but not Hispanic, for example. A lot of Americans are rather ignorant about this, as they assume that "Hispanic" or "Latino" are interchangeable and mean brown, Spanish-speaking person. To be sure, many are, but not all. Anyone who goes to say, Oaxaca in Mexico vs. anywhere in Argentina vs. Cuba or the Dominican Republic will be able to see there's a wide variety of people in the category.
Um, Hispanic is absolutely a race, but I'd expect that answer from someone who thinks -ez surnames are Hispanic, with Latin English accents. Fail big time. Spaniards are white on the other hand.

LMAO
-ez surnames are white with Frank Lopez English accent (meaning the accent of the character Frank Lopez from Scarface). That means Puerto Ricans, Cubans, El Salvadorians, all Spaniards in general. Their music is flamenco guitar - the Spaniard guitar.

Mexicans are part French so they're not Spaniards.

And as for church burning I meant church burning that is legal. Last time legal church burning happened was 1963.

A dumb ******* who knows nothing.

Meanwhile, in 1991 New York, an ambulance of Hasidic Jews refused to let a black man get treatment.

Please tell that nonsense to millions of Mexicans, who disagree with you

Old 04-18-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
1963, huh?

As for your example, we're talking a state that is more Spaniard (being Louisiana is kinda like a different country that have civil law as opposed to Common law), and yes -ez surnames again can be white. And Puerto Ricans, and Spaniards IN GENERAL, are very racist people who love Spaniard guitar music. In fact, that case was probably worse than Southern racism, cause the ones who commited that crime were probably sadists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio