Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,984,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
How?!

I am being nice. Seriously though, this poster is really going to have a rude awakening if they think this way...
You can criticize her thinking on this issue without criticizing her a person. Nobody is "narrow-minded" on everything.

Cleveland_Collector makes a good point. Blue-collar workers still have a modicum of dignity and identity in Ohio relative to other places. Chicago is the same way. I think that will all go to hell for Ohio under Kasich, but I hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You can criticize her thinking on this issue without criticizing her a person. Nobody is "narrow-minded" on everything.

Cleveland_Collector makes a good point. Blue-collar workers still have a modicum of dignity and identity in Ohio relative to other places. Chicago is the same way. I think that will all go to hell for Ohio under Kasich, but I hope I'm wrong.
It is narrow-minded...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:

Yes, Chicago is very much the same.

I think Kasich is in for a rude awakening if he decides to attack these people's livelihoods. I doubt it but, hopefully, he is smarter than that.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
It is narrow-minded...
I'd tend to think "jaded" or "inexperienced" over narrow-minded.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikishorts View Post
It seems to me that the more educated some people are,the more judgemental they are. The more they pick apart other people. They observe and criticize. They look down on people and treat them a certain way based on their education level.
The very same is true for most of the people regardless of their education, IQ, wealth, etc. Humans are hierarchical social animals. If one to think about it, most satisfaction in this life comes from feeling superior to other people. Our accomplishments (real or imaginary) mean LITTLE without people we deem "less accomplished". Our place in the social/wealth/professional/"do gooder"/etc. ladder (real or imaginary) gives us the sense of accomplishment, purpose and meaning in this life. Don't rush to deny the obvious, just do some honest soul searching.

So, you think, formally uneducated, blue color types don't have their pecking order providing them with firm illusionary ground to stand on? Common, that's not what I've observed. Even BUMS have their pecking order they derive their meager crumbles of satisfaction from. You cannot run from hierarchical human nature. The other thing is that oligarchical nature of economy&society we live under depends on hyper "nurturing" of our hierarchical nature to maintain power structure & social control of the less than blessed masses.

Last edited by RememberMee; 01-20-2011 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Quote:

Chicago have significant blue color work force left. AMAZing, for an outside eye there are 5 gangstas and community organizers for every blue color worker remaining in Chicago area.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM

6 posts, read 17,019 times
Traveler87 you have been okay. You make a lot of very good points. Everyones posts have very valid points. I think its one of those things, that you dont know what you have ,unless your somewhere else. I am grateful everday to go to work because there are so many without jobs right now.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikishorts View Post
Traveler87 you have been okay. You make a lot of very good points. Everyones posts have very valid points. I think its one of those things, that you dont know what you have ,unless your somewhere else. I am grateful everday to go to work because there are so many without jobs right now.
I am sorry, I hope you didn't feel like I was "attacking" you. I truly do wish you the best of luck. I just don't want you to expect something out there, and then get dissapointed. You're going to have a lot of "shady" characters no matter where you live. Living in different regions of the country for a few years at a time (growing up in Indiana and going to college in North Carolina), I witnessed my fair share of people who weren't exactly the greatest.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Yes, Chicago is very much the same.

I think Kasich is in for a rude awakening if he decides to attack these people's livelihoods. I doubt it but, hopefully, he is smarter than that.
I just read an article where almost half of Ohioans already disagree with his viewpoints.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Then why in the hell did they vote for him? Strickland was no prize, but he was decent. I knew this guy was a moron the day I heard him say he was responsible for the 90's budget surplus and that he was going to abolish the state income tax in the same stump speech. An abject lie and an impossible, ridiculous campaign promise within 5 minutes of each other...not a good sign. Strap in, OH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio