Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,108,199 times

Advertisements

It won't keep me from moving there.

4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM

17 posts, read 28,737 times
Default Not exacly true.

[quote=Art1979;1187841]

I will tell you, however, there are plenty of places on the East Coast (NYC and Philly are BIG offenders) where eye contact and pleasantries are almost verboten.

True enough, Art1979, but, as a (pretty much) life-long big-city East Coaster (DC and NYC) I have interject on the "no eye contact means not friendly" misnomer. You see, people from other parts of the country - even the other large cities, don't understand that, just like other regions, we have our own, particular set of social mores here. They basically revolve around the fact that this is, by far the most densely populated part of the country. Greater NYC is roughly 20 million people; pretty much the entire populations of Illinois and Michigan put together - in a comparatively small area. Having so many people living in such close proximity means that our personal space can not often be defined as physical space, as it can be in most other regions. You can't commute on the subway during rush hour without being in physical contact with someone else, so we need to define our space in some other way - hence the "no eye contact". As well, again, because of the extremely high population density, we can get fussy when people seem oblivious and ignorant of others and their surroundings - ie, like when we lose patience with heartland tourists who stop dead in their tracks in the middle of a busy sidewalk. Where they're from, this is never a problem; if someone is behind them at home, they are probably some distance off. Not here - it's not a question of "if", there absolutely is someone there, only a couple of feet behind you. You see, we take this lack of awareness of others as being rude. Lastly, we are not big on passive-aggressiveness here. We don't spend much time muttering things under our breath or saying things behind each others backs. We'll let someone know when they're being oblivious. As an example, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people (of all races and ages) on the DC Metro or NYC Subway give up a seat so that a pregnant young woman or senior citizen can have the seat. There are a lot of very friendly New Yorkers, actually. Think about it - it's expensive and it's a free country. If we're all such misanthropes here, why would we choose to live in an area with this many people so close to one another if we didn't actually like people and/or social engagement.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
^^^

While all of you are arguing between Charlotte and Cleveland, the one fact that really stands out in this list is that pretty much ALL of Ohio's bigger cities hit the list !

Pretty depressing, OH seems to have more cities in the top 50 when it comes to crime than any other state... I guess that is one thing every other state can't compete with us at .
That is not surprising, though, as most of those cities were hit hard and are still recovering from the manufacturing collapse. This is a recipe for crime. The exception is Columbus, which never had a single-industry economy and is relatively recession-proof in comparison. The crime there is more complex, and tends to be more property crimes than anything else. That said, I'm pretty sure all those cities had rates dropping right along with the national average in the last decade or so. I wouldn't say any of them are dangerous cities, even remotely.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
The absolute ridiculous hate for a state doesn't make much sense. People complain about the weather, but that is really a state of mind. Do you prefer cold of the Northern winters, or the scorching heat and humidity of the South? Do you like seasons, or do you want it to be 80 and sunny year round like San Diego? It's all a matter of preference and has no real benefit or detriment to a state's overall appeal, which is made up of a ton of different factors, all of which are judged individually important. If you look at unemployment numbers, Ohio is not really all that different from most other places, lower than some, higher than others. If you look at culture, again, it's not that different either. There are better and worse places for it. If you look at crime, same again, and most, if not all Ohio's cities are reasonably safe. This is not like Caracas, Venezuela or Juarex, Mexico, for god's sake. And racism? Please. I have yet to see any real statistics that show Ohio has any problem in this regard. Hell, historically it was the center of the Underground Railroad and provided most of the famous generals during the Civil War. Lincoln himself credited Ohio because the state provided so many soldiers that it dwarfed many other states' efforts. We did not have the blatant segregation and strife of the 50s and 60s, certainly not to any degree that other places did. And I see nothing in the present time that indicates that the situation has gotten anything but better, the same as with the rest of the nation. If it's geography that is the complaint, well... You have one of the largest lakes in the world, you have hills and the foothills in the southeast, you have the plains of the west, and the river to the south. It has a wide variety of geographical interests, and considering Ohio is 35th in total area, that wide range is even more impressive.
Personally, I feel that most of the people who have an unusual amount of dislike for Ohio probably had personal problems here, and tend to blame the state itself, which is pretty illogical. If you can't find a job or don't have many friends, etc, you're probably going to start hating a place and find any little reason to be personally offended. That's human nature.
I like Ohio. It has a rich history that most people seem to be oblivious of, even most Ohioans.
It seems fashionable to bash Ohio these days. It seems to get more flack than just about any other state. But that only makes me wonder... people are spending so much time talking about Ohio, how boring does their own state have to be to not have anything real to say about it?
Ohio is underrated by a vast amount. Period.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,514 times
I hate this ****ing state ****ing weather is ****ed up cost of living is hight you have to burn more gas,coal amd natural gas just to stay warm and than we are wondering why is ****ing gas cost so ****ing much the population of the noth was a ****ing bull****

Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslanav View Post
I hate this ****ing state ****ing weather is ****ed up cost of living is hight you have to burn more gas,coal amd natural gas just to stay warm and than we are wondering why is ****ing gas cost so ****ing much the population of the noth was a ****ing bull****
The cost of living is high? Hmm... based on your intelligent post and this statement alone, I'm going to say you haven't been outside of Ohio much.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,027,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslanav View Post
Sounds like a personal problem to me. Try Cancun...

Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
The cost of living is lower in Indiana compared to Ohio.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The cost of living is lower in Indiana compared to Ohio.
Good point. Similarly, Mars is further from the sun than the Earth is.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:42 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,108,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Good point. Similarly, Mars is further from the sun than the Earth is.
I've never met anyone who said they want to live in Indiana.

Ever.

I, however, and many I know love Ohio.

Sadly I won't be joining the ranks anymore because I can make bank further north

I still love OH and will visit often though. Cleveland, Cinci, Athens, Toledo, Akron <3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio