Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM

132 posts, read 267,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Youngstown should probably consult on how to do more, with much, much less. They are almost 4 decades strong with experience....and counting....

There is one saving grace. The women. Some beautiful Italian girls running the area. Probably similar to shopping for a bride from Russia. Just pick one and go. Believe me, they are ready. I have to believe an evening at the Olive Garden and they are ready for you to meet the family. Graci!

After that, 1 out of 5 is unemployed and is probably spying you to figure out what morsels they can pick off from you. Just make sure your newly chosen Italian Maven is not connected to the old money mob and you are good to go......
Hmmm thats only an hr from me..... where exactly does one go to meet these beautiful single italian women in Y-town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM

5,519 posts, read 9,547,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomantis View Post
Hmmm thats only an hr from me..... where exactly does one go to meet these beautiful single italian women in Y-town?
As is often the case with people who talk down on Youngstown, I don't think Caleb Longstreet knows what he is talking about. (not that Youngstown doesn't have its share of beautiful women) But if you can impress a woman from Youngstown by taking her to Olive Garden, she obviously has serious issues, and you can have her.

Oh, and I wonder who Graci is?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,976,270 times
Yeah, i live in the Youngstown area and you better never take me to Olive Garden w/all the great Italian food we have around here. Olive Garden is not Italian! hahaha!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:15 AM

54 posts, read 77,508 times
Thumbs down poop fountain

Do you mean literal "dump?" haha

Well, that would be the infamous "Scioto Mile" in downtown Columbus.

An outrageous expense to the tax payers, a huge fountain where children could get bused in to play. But, ooops, it turned into a toilet.

"Fountains Closed to Clean up Feces" ... Mayor Coleman

Since opening on July 7, the Scioto Mile fountains... – The Columbus Dispatch

Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,175,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
Do you mean literal "dump?" haha

Well, that would be the infamous "Scioto Mile" in downtown Columbus.

An outrageous expense to the tax payers, a huge fountain where children could get bused in to play. But, ooops, it turned into a toilet.

"Fountains Closed to Clean up Feces" ... Mayor Coleman

Since opening on July 7, the Scioto Mile fountains... – The Columbus Dispatch
First, that "outrageous" expense has proven to be very popular, has improved the riverfront and has spurred interest in nearby redevelopment. It has been nothing but positive for the city overall. Second, any time you have small children and water, you're going to have those kinds of incidents. Seriously, have you never been to a public pool? Gym? YMCA? How about Zoombezi Bay? Even suburban waterparks and pools have these issues and have closed periodically because of them, including this summer. This is not a unique situation and a very minor issue in the overall success of the project. Parents simply have to be responsible and take the proper precautions. Third, I'm not aware of children getting "bused in", but if they are, so what? More people enjoying the amenities Downtown is good for the economic strength of the city. I understand that you may not like places anywhere near Downtown given your continuing statements on VV and the Short North, but the reality is that all of the areas you seem to find crime-ridden jokes are easily the most vibrant parts of the city that attract, by far, the most positive national attention. Even the Mile was highlighted recently when Columbus was voted one of the best park cities in the country.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Well, I suppose it's all relative again. My choice of neighborhoods and yours is different. So.

And I wouldn't want to have a fountain-side-lunch by floating poop. It's all relative.

As for the city parks, I agree, most of them are very nice and well kept. My "biggest dump" comment was about the giant toilet downtown. What Coleman is known for. Check out some other Cols. forums and see the comments about the giant toilet downtown. Not pretty.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,175,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
Well, I suppose it's all relative again. My choice of neighborhoods and yours is different. So.

And I wouldn't want to have a fountain-side-lunch by floating poop. It's all relative.

As for the city parks, I agree, most of them are very nice and well kept. My "biggest dump" comment was about the giant toilet downtown. What Coleman is known for. Check out some other Cols. forums and see the comments about the giant toilet downtown. Not pretty.
Actually, it isn't all relative. Most people want the same kinds of things in neighborhoods... safety, availability to amenities, easy travel, affordable housing in good shape, nice people, etc. You can find all of that just as easily in urban settings as you can suburban, and with considerably less waste of resources. That said, you seem to enjoy dramatizing the dangers of urban living when it's not really a competition. You present the Mile fountains as little more than a sewer with crap literally spraying every which way. That is ridiculous. Same with your comments about how dangerous Downtown is. As far as Coleman goes, most of the Columbus forums I've seen are generally supportive of him. He keeps getting re-elected for a reason. The only one I know of that isn't seems to be the [domain blocked due to spam] forum, which honestly, is filled with the worst posters of any forum I've ever seen. I hope that's not your source.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Hello again, jb. You sound a bit distressed that my opinion varies from yours. No need for that, we all have different views and perspectives.

As for other Columbus forums, check out news channels, Dispatch, local community boards, [domain blocked due to spam], etc.

Here's an article from NBC on the Scioto Poop Mile. The comments are spot on.

Fecal, Maintenance Issues Close Scioto Mile Fountain | NBC 4i

Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,123,892 times
Let's not feed the above troll any more.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Let's not feed the above troll any more.
I don't see jb as trolling; just a difference of opinion and perspective. It would be mighty dull if we all saw things exactly the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio