Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,418,852 times

Advertisements

We all know that Ohio is chock full of decaying rust belt cities that the rest of the country loves to hate on. Which city do you think has the worst reputation for being a complete dump? Factors to consider include(but are not limited to):

-Urban blight
-Population loss
-High crime
-Loss of industry

And before someone gets all worked up; yes, we know that every city in Ohio has it's redeeming qualities. I understand that. Let's just put aside our pride and try to discuss this objectively. Remember, just because people believe a city sucks, doesn't mean it actually does.

So, Which city is perceived to be the worst according to Ohioans (read:I don't care about what Forbes thinks)?

I thought of a few cities off the top of my head that you could pick from. Feel free to add your own:

-Akron
-Ashtabula
-Cleveland
-Dayton
-Steubenville
-Toledo
-Youngstown

Try to keep a good sense of humor. And most of all...always remember, we're not Detroit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,342,629 times
Mt. Rumpke.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 AM

25 posts, read 43,436 times
Add Lorain/Elyria to your list.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Try to keep a good sense of humor. And most of all...always remember, we're not Detroit!
The reality is ... No place is a dump. Not even Detroit.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM

901 posts, read 2,390,479 times
Honestly, I swear I don't understand the reason for even starting a thread like this. What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The reality is ... No place is a dump. Not even Detroit.
Good for you! I'm glad you posted that comment. It's not necessary to be pointing out which cities may, or may NOT, be "dumps".

To the OP: I'm sure people in Detroit don't appreciate being the butt of jokes all the time. If you don't want anyone to trash Ohio cities, then don't trash other cities. Can't you people focus on something uplifting instead of always comparing Ohio cities to each other? Sheesh.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,034,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Mt. Rumpke.
HAHAHA! Great post! (I think most people who know anything about this place would agree that it's a REAL dump...)

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM

374 posts, read 1,126,051 times
I was just talking about this on another thread, not so much to bash anyone's town not even my own, but my point was that those who have pride in their respective communities, I feel that is great, but do not totally dismiss the obvious or close the blinds of your window and say your neighborhood is perfect. Right now almost every city in Ohio with an exception of a few are dealing with issues of population lost, urban decay, crime, blight, etc more than alot of places in the country and we seem to be the butt of alot of jokes lately just like Detroit. My question is how can Ohioans work together to resolve these issues????? Although I live in Chicago now, I feel its not just a local issue, but its also a regional issue. Chicago has been dealing with similar issues as well. As far as Ohio is concerned I seem to hear more people talk down about Cleveland as if its the next Detroit, but to each is own. Again how can Ohio or this part of the midwest as whole change its negative image??????

Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,937,143 times
Interesting question lol.

Honestly I would probably say Portsmouth and Lima, maybe Steubenville as well. Nothing about those places is attractive to me. I know people say Cleveland, Lorain, Sandusky, and Ashtabula are dumps, and I wouldn't completely disagree with them, but being on the lake (huge plus) makes us better by default IMO. And the diversity of those cities on the lake is another plus IMO. I know Youngstown would also be another obvious choice, but I like it for some reason.

No offense to anyone, just participating in the thread lol.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,221,667 times
I would say Ashtabula or East Liverpool. Youngstown out of the bigger cities.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 PM

East Liverpool has the Museum of Ceramics and the Hall pottery plant. Quite a bit of history there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio