Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM

54 posts, read 77,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Try to keep a good sense of humor. And most of all...always remember, we're not Detroit!
Amen to that! ... even though there's some mumbling about Columbus becoming the next Detroit. sigh

As for the biggest dumps in Ohio, I voted for the Scioto P. Mile, which we've discussed.

However, I found this tidbit from the Dispatch about Lancaster with a similar 'problem' ... but they call it 'pool stool.'

"Fecal-related problems in fountains and pools aren’t new, but they’ve taken on a higher profile this summer — in part because of the popularity of the new Downtown spray park, which has been closed for such cleanups three times since it opened on July 7.

Likewise, pool stool was at the root of a controversy in Lancaster last month after 65 children were told to lower their bathing suits for inspection because, for the fourth time in two weeks, feces had been found in the water at the Robert K. Fox Family YMCA."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,175,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
Amen to that! ... even though there's some mumbling about Columbus becoming the next Detroit. sigh

As for the biggest dumps in Ohio, I voted for the Scioto P. Mile, which we've discussed.

However, I found this tidbit from the Dispatch about Lancaster with a similar 'problem' ... but they call it 'pool stool.'

"Fecal-related problems in fountains and pools aren’t new, but they’ve taken on a higher profile this summer — in part because of the popularity of the new Downtown spray park, which has been closed for such cleanups three times since it opened on July 7.

Likewise, pool stool was at the root of a controversy in Lancaster last month after 65 children were told to lower their bathing suits for inspection because, for the fourth time in two weeks, feces had been found in the water at the Robert K. Fox Family YMCA."

Wait, so you mean any place with water and crowds can have incidents like this? I thought the Mile was totally unique with this problem and representative of a terrible waste of money because parents can't make good decisions?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Wait, so you mean any place with water and crowds can have incidents like this? I thought the Mile was totally unique with this problem and representative of a terrible waste of money because parents can't make good decisions?
Goodness, no, the problem is not unique. What's unique about the Scioto Poop Mile is the TEN MILLION DOLLARS the taxpayers paid for the largest public toilet in central Ohio. That's unique, disgusting and shameful.

HTH.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Goodness, no, the problem is not unique. What's unique about the Scioto Poop Mile is the TEN MILLION DOLLARS the taxpayers paid for the largest public toilet in central Ohio. That's unique, disgusting and shameful.

HTH.
Is $10 million a bad investment if it returns much more than that in new development, which is exactly what it will do? Call it whatever cute trolling name you want, but the city (and taxpayers) is going to benefit from it.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Is $10 million a bad investment if it returns much more than that in new development, which is exactly what it will do? Call it whatever cute trolling name you want, but the city (and taxpayers) is going to benefit from it.
I can't take credit for the name that's been attributed to it, but I've read it hundreds of times since summer, and worse. You read what they said about it on NBC4. I share those opinions.

When, oh when, will the taxpayers get their TEN MILLION DOLLARS back? How much did it cost to shut it down over and over to 'clean' it out? Who paid that bill?

And how long will Columbus be known as having the most expensive and largest public toilet in central Ohio? It's a slap in the face to Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer who had no choice in that fail. Booo!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I can't take credit for the name that's been attributed to it, but I've read it hundreds of times since summer, and worse. You read what they said about it on NBC4. I share those opinions.

When, oh when, will the taxpayers get their TEN MILLION DOLLARS back? How much did it cost to shut it down over and over to 'clean' it out? Who paid that bill?

And how long will Columbus be known as having the most expensive and largest public toilet in central Ohio? It's a slap in the face to Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer who had no choice in that fail. Booo!
I'm pretty sure I've already linked at least one article that mentioned these new parks as catalysts for new retail and residential projects. Just those few alone pump more than $10 million back into the local economy, and it's just the start. But I'm kind of done debating this with you. I have presented the facts and you want to resort to childish nicknames like "Poop Mile". Let me know when we can debate like adults.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
East Liverpool has the Museum of Ceramics and the Hall pottery plant. Quite a bit of history there.
Nice thought. Let me expand on that with an "anti-post" to this thread. Ohio has a heritage that is impressive and amazing - unfortunately, the "leaders" in this state (i.e. politicians) have never promoted this heritage. Aviation was born here with the Wright brothers, Thomas Edison was born here, and the steel industry fueled the industrial revolution. Jesse Owens graduated from Ohio State. Seven presidents came from Ohio, with only Virginia having more (8). Ohio is the birthplace to the tire industry, whose implications are obvious. When businessmen actually made things, like pottery, Ohio was considered the epicenter of ceramics. The Zanesville area was home to several huge ceramic companies. And Cincy added Rookwood pottery. The list goes on with invention, people, and companies. In the more modern eras, Cleveland can proudly claim to be home to an entire division of NASA, home to the worlds largest greeting card company (might be #2 now), and Cleveland's healthcare is world renown, rated #4 in the country just this year. Although I've lived for numerous decades, most of this greatness came even before my time. Most younger people are even more oblivious to it. That doesn't mean we should overlook it and fail to appreciate it. The entire state needs a MASSIVE public relations campaign to remind us. I'm not saying to live in the past, but be proud of it. And if nothing else, ask why, in the last half century, have businessmen and politicians let Ohio get in such dismal shape??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio