Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

As I research more and more into the region that I'll soon be calling home I've discovered that there are a multitude of natural oases, thriving urban centers, and respectable historic towns alike that I can't wait to get out and snap photo tours of in May. The more and more I explore these areas, the more and more discouraged I'm becoming at the prospect of living in my own future abode near the Reston Town Center when there are so many areas of your area I'd much prefer to live in that are far beyond my price range.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes he/she was in a larger tax bracket in order to afford living elsewhere in the region. Where else would you live in NoVA besides your current home if finances were of no consideration?

I'll get the ball rolling with my own choices:

1.) A brick rowhome in the heart of Old Town Alexandria
2.) A luxury penthouse on the top floor of a Reston Town Center high-rise.
3.) A small four-square colonial home with old wooden shutters in historic Downtown Leesburg.
4.) A condo in Ballston.
5.) A wooden cabin in Lovettsville with a dramatic wall of windows overlooking the mountains.

What would you all pick?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM

281 posts, read 1,009,116 times
A rowhome in Georgetown. Or a mansion complete with spires in Great Falls.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 PM

743 posts, read 3,901,351 times
Probably a mansion in Great Falls...

Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,867 times
I'm with becwells - if money was truly no object, I'd be living in one of the wealthiest enclaves of DC. And probably sending my kids to some truly ridiculous private schools.

But sticking to strictly NoVA, at this point in my life (married with kids and appreciating a little yard space as well as urban access) I'd choose the Westover area of North Arlington. If I was still single, it would be Clarendon or Ballston. Old Town would also be high on the list.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:54 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
A penthouse or condo between the Rosslyn/Ballston corridor or in either Tysons or Reston (once they complete the Silver Line of course).

Old 04-21-2009, 03:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Money's no object? Well, there's a nice white house over on Pennsylvania Ave. I'm sure if I give them enough money for a major bailout or two the current residents won't mind sharing. Maybe they'll even die the fountain green on my birthday.

Oh, I have to stay in NOVA?

OK, well the ideal place in NOVA has to be my own house. Since my family's all up and down the neighborhood, you know. But if I'm allowed to build a family compound and money's no object I think I'd buy Meadowlark Gardens and then build a fabulous palace.

After all, a limitless amount of money can build any kind of structure in a year or two. But no amount of money can create a gorgeous garden like that overnight, it takes decades to achieve. So I'd spend my money to buy the garden and build the house of my dreams.

Oh, and I'd put a whole bunch of flamingos down in the pond. Just because.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As I research more and more into the region that I'll soon be calling home I've discovered that there are a multitude of natural oases, thriving urban centers, and respectable historic towns alike that I can't wait to get out and snap photo tours of in May. The more and more I explore these areas, the more and more discouraged I'm becoming at the prospect of living in my own future abode near the Reston Town Center when there are so many areas of your area I'd much prefer to live in that are far beyond my price range.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes he/she was in a larger tax bracket in order to afford living elsewhere in the region. Where else would you live in NoVA besides your current home if finances were of no consideration?

I'll get the ball rolling with my own choices:

1.) A brick rowhome in the heart of Old Town Alexandria
2.) A luxury penthouse on the top floor of a Reston Town Center high-rise.
3.) A small four-square colonial home with old wooden shutters in historic Downtown Leesburg.
4.) A condo in Ballston.
5.) A wooden cabin in Lovettsville with a dramatic wall of windows overlooking the mountains.

What would you all pick?!
This may surprise some but my choices would be Kingstowne, Rose Hill, or a new house on Ft. Belvoir. I really despise Fairfax County but i think those areas would fit better for someone of my status.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:16 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
A penthouse or condo between the Rosslyn/Ballston corridor or in either Tysons or Reston (once they complete the Silver Line of course).
How's THIS for lucky? I signed my lease and THEN learned that I'll be within an easy walk of a Silver Line metro station for when it is finally operational in 30-40 years after more undoubted bickering around Tyson's Corner! I'll be able to walk to the Silver Line, take that to the Orange Line, and then take that right to the Smithsonian Museums, which I can't wait to see! I also can't wait to take the Metro right to Nationals Stadium. I wonder why the Silver Line wasn't proposed sooner, as it will be a VERY popular line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Money's no object? Well, there's a nice white house over on Pennsylvania Ave. I'm sure if I give them enough money for a major bailout or two the current residents won't mind sharing. Maybe they'll even die the fountain green on my birthday.

Oh, I have to stay in NOVA?

OK, well the ideal place in NOVA has to be my own house. Since my family's all up and down the neighborhood, you know. But if I'm allowed to build a family compound and money's no object I think I'd buy Meadowlark Gardens and then build a fabulous palace.

After all, a limitless amount of money can build any kind of structure in a year or two. But no amount of money can create a gorgeous garden like that overnight, it takes decades to achieve. So I'd spend my money to buy the garden and build the house of my dreams.

Oh, and I'd put a whole bunch of flamingos down in the pond. Just because.
I'm glad to see I'm off your ignore list again. A certain level-headed moderator sent me a DM and gave me "the talk," and I must say I agree with him that I've been out-of-line quite a bit over the past few weeks. I'm sure I'll love living in Virginia. No area is without its flaws, and God knows Northern Virginia is a HUGE step above Scranton in terms of quality-of-life! The traffic is worse, the sprawl is worse, and the weather is more humid, but the diversity is refreshing, the people are friendlier and more well-read, the roads are less pothole-ridden, and the scenery is OUTSTANDING! Now if only I could afford to live my dream life down there! If I am fortunate enough to make it to GS-15, Step 10 by the time I'm in my 40s with my Ph.D. and yearn for professional advancement I'll be earning over $150,000. As a single guy with no need for a flashy car or clothing, that should be MORE than enough to make my dream of a rowhome in Old Town Alexandria a reality!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
money's no object?

Oh, and i'd put a whole bunch of flamingos down in the pond. Just because.
:d

Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM

30 posts, read 100,482 times
Fairfax Station or Clifton would be my top picks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia