Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,306 times

Advertisements

This, somehow, was the thread that compelled me to delurk...

If money were no object, I'd live in one of those fabulous lakeside midcentury moderns in Lake Barcroft. Mmmmmmmm... Yummy!

Really, though, I'm perfectly happy wherever I am, as long as I have the husband and kids there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I admit to a bias since most of my day-to-day experience has been in the city and county sections of Alexandria...

... but there are a number of old townhouses/rowhomes in Old Town that I'd love to live in. At least I get to pass them on a regular basis so at least I get to enjoy a pleasant walk/ride.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,867 times
Quote:
I'd live in one of those fabulous lakeside midcentury moderns in Lake Barcroft.
Ooooh, good choice!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,006 times
This thread should be renamed "If Traffic Were No Object, Where in NoVA Would You Choose to Reside?" Then I would say "right here, I love it"

Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
[quote=themommy;8451781]This, somehow, was the thread that compelled me to delurk...

If money were no object, I'd live in one of those fabulous lakeside midcentury moderns in Lake Barcroft. Mmmmmmmm... Yummy!

A 1950's "Modern" house? with pink bathrooms and kitchens, very small bedrooms, and even smaller closets? Not thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
The northwest corner of Fairfax County near the Loudoun County line (also near Seneca Park) has some little side roads that lead to incredible properties.

Spectacular homes, horses, rolling hills. I think some of those places even have access to the river. There's an old mansion on Richland Grove that I love, it just looks like it has a fascinating history. That's what I'd buy.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
By the way, if somebody out there has money and wants an great deal there's a huge property for sale right where Algonkian Parkway crosses the 7. People driving by would never guess, the only clue that something's there are two ancient brick pillars that you'd never notice unless you were looking for them. But if you turn at the pillars, about a mile down a crumbling road is an old mansion that has quite a colorful history. It was even a civil war hospital at one point.

The last surviving family member died a few years ago. I went to the estate sale and it was amazing, like going through a museum. Sadly, the house is falling apart to the point where it's not worth saving (IMO, it's still standing but it's pretty bad). Anyway, the house and land are now for sale. Someone's going to make a fortune with that property.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-22-2009 at 07:14 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
I'd get an old townhouse in Old Town Alexandria. Or, that white house with the pillars on King Street between Highland and Upland (right by the Masonic Memorial). That was always my favorite house. When you drive by, you can see that they have a fantastic unobstructed view of DC (not to mention walking distance to Old Town and metro access).

Otherwise, I'd go somewhere in DC, like Georgetown, the Palisades, Kalorama (I'll live in an old embassy, why not), or closer to AU in Wesley Heights.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 AM

79 posts, read 250,642 times
Putting aside the NoVa limitation for a moment, I'd be in one of those absurd mansions off Connecticut Ave, in the Forrest Hills neighborhood. Incredible homes but right in the center of the city -- how cool that you could walk to all the various restaurants and shops on Connecticut Ave.?

But if I had to confine my choice to NoVa, I'd probably pick either Great Falls or one of the townhouses in Palisades Park or Highgate in Rosslyn. Some of those Rosslyn townhouses have really spectacular views of the National Cathederal and are within a 10 minute walk of Georgetown.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,835 times
Fun question...I lived in NoVa for over a decade before moving to PG County and when I was living there I was in school and definitely monetarily challenged.

McLean ( I had 3 roommates and lived in apartments near Tysons II long ago...loved it and the proximity to cultural activity/entertainment/dining/nightclubbing in DC...it would be a decent commute also now to my job in Loudoun and for my new hubby into his job in DC; traffic is awful though especially during Christmas shopping season and as people commute in and out for jobs)

Arlington (Lived on Columbia Pike and in Crystal City...again...I loved the proximity to DC fun and it was a decent commute to Fairfax and Loudoun jobs and also for my new hubby to go to work in DC; loved Metro accessibility...I didn't own a car when I lived there)

Vienna (mainly thinking of it as a nice area and a good commute for myself; don't know how hubby's commute would be; don't know much about living there but spent a lot of time there when I worked in
Tysons...I spent lunch breaks shopping in the mom/pop shops and dining in small restaurants there...some of the best Indian food I've ever had was/still is in a strip mall there; has a metro station so that is great)

Great Falls (would be a great commute for me...pretty area ...probably the least realistic on my list)

Rosslyn (see comments for Arlington)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia