Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,658,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Ummm, so you just negated your own argument -- you have NO videos of teenagers behaving this way in Northern Virginia. Using your logic, I guess this is representative of the entire Midwest:

Police study video of teen's fatal beating - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/09/candlelight-vigil-scheduled-for-teen-beaten-to-death.html - broken link)
Im willing to bet there are some great teens living in DC and in Chicago. Ive certainly met great teens from NYC (recently, not when I was teen) and from Baltimore city, and from Alexandria City.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,720,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im willing to bet there are some great teens living in DC and in Chicago. Ive certainly met great teens from NYC (recently, not when I was teen) and from Baltimore city, and from Alexandria City.
I guess I should have used the sarcasm face: .

Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM

13 posts, read 21,212 times
Quote:
Met some great teens and the norm are two totally different things. I am sure we can meet 'some great people' in Sudan or areas in Mexico where people are behead weekly too, that does not negated the big problem with homicides over there. I hate when this empty argument is used to downplay the significant homicide and crime problem plaguing America, because there are some great people within certain communities.

Suburban teenagers in the area are quite different to inner-city types. Suburban teens in the DC area have overinflated egos and assume they own the world. However, they do not go around shooting up the place and they are not the ones who turned almost every single inner-city in our nation into 3rd world countries. Inner-city teens tend to have a large number of single parent households; where grandma is looking out for the 3rd of 4th kid, from a 4th papa. They have no notion of authority or respect for the law, let alone appreciating the person who pays for their section 8 house. Assume somebody owes them something or it's somebody else to blame for their actions.

Last edited by cvc7171; 06-09-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 04:13 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,904,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You mean your anti-traffic principle is out the window so long as you get -- literally -- a free ride.
I'm assuming that I, Mr. Bowler Hat, and Ms... um.. whatever she was wearing would all be in one vehicle (and the Bowler Hats do not drive an SUV, thank you very much), were they to give me a ride someplace. So, at three people in one car, we'd be doing pretty well! No one-Escalade-per-person sort of stuff for us, indeed!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,168,705 times
Quote:
No one is denying that. You and I both grew up in NYC and I'm sure we were swell kids.

My post was merely a refutation of the idea that NoVa kids are like DC kids just because of the geographic propinquity... and arguing that, by the same logic, Iowa teens should be like Detroit teens since the other poster claimed that teens in "the Midwest" are so swell.

I lived in various parts of the Midwest for a while, including, yes, Iowa. I speak with personal experience and... logic.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I'm assuming that I, Mr. Bowler Hat, and Ms... um.. whatever she was wearing would all be in one vehicle (and the Bowler Hats do not drive an SUV, thank you very much), were they to give me a ride someplace. So, at three people in one car, we'd be doing pretty well! No one-Escalade-per-person sort of stuff for us, indeed!
But, but, but, if you didn't ride at all and just bicycled to work, then the car with those two folks would burn slightly less gas. Thus you will save the world. No?

"3-in-1 car good! 1-in-1 car bad!" for me has a little too much twinge of "anyone who drives faster than I do is crazy and anyone slower, stupid."

Old 06-10-2011, 03:47 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,884,485 times
I knew this thread would get a lot of traffic. Even though it isn't personal against anyone - I find that folks in this area (and this area and Vermont are all I have to compare) are wrapped tight around the axle when it comes to their kids and appearance or image sake. And with the amount that are offended at the notion that kids in general might not be as respectful living in this area....geez - lighten up. Most kids around here 'don't do anything wrong'. It is always the teachers, the other kids, the other parents, the bad things on tv, etc., it's never the kids .

Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I knew this thread would get a lot of traffic. Even though it isn't personal against anyone - I find that folks in this area (and this area and Vermont are all I have to compare) are wrapped tight around the axle when it comes to their kids and appearance or image sake. And with the amount that are offended at the notion that kids in general might not be as respectful living in this area....geez - lighten up. Most kids around here 'don't do anything wrong'. It is always the teachers, the other kids, the other parents, the bad things on tv, etc., it's never the kids .
How sage of you. You think a post that claims that a region where average student performance is very good has more behavioral issues is going to get a lot of negative responses?

I lived in over a dozen states states on the West Coast, in the Midwest, in New England, in the Mid-Atlantic and in the South. Whenever I observed misbehaving children, the common denominator was always lack of parental supervision (and by supervision, I don't mean simply being where their children were physicially). Although I have my speculation about this issue (let's just say I've seen more problems in urban areas than in suburban or rural areas, but that could be for a host of reasons), I don't have enough evidence to say that one region or another produces better (or worse) behaving kids.

Certainly I have not seen any evidence that children in this region (NoVA) misbehave at a higher rate than those in others.

If we are to go by personal anecdotes, I'd say the children in this region behave the best and are the most respectful *I*'ve ever seen. But that probably has to do with the fact that most kids I've seen here are home schooled by very traditional parents. YMMV.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 AM

83 posts, read 196,473 times
At the least the OP admitted he was just trying to stir you folks up -- and it worked.

Someone does this at least once a day on this forum. I actually find it a useful tool for reminding me I'm spending too much time on the internet.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,884,485 times
LOL.....Thank you for proving my point IndiaLimaDelta....sheesh....was is it with this area? So uptight....sooooo uptight..... Read what I said - I said that from the two areas that I can compare - people here just get so upset at the thought that anyone could say anything negative when it comes to kids. I NEVER said that kids in this area have more behavioral issues....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia