Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:45 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,161,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Actualy we usually manage to keep the controversies within bounds in this forum, more so than on CD in general, which in itself is not as wild and wooly a place as the rest of the net.

Some things that help are keeping to the topic at hand (yes topics naturally wander, but the worst nastiness is usually accompanied by fast and dramatic shifts of topic) and assuming good faith. Also keeping a reasonable degree of distance about others personal lives.

A good rule of thumb would be - if you find yourself about to post a line by line response to someone else - ask yourself if the previous post was really an argument, or just an aside, making conversation, whatever.

Also a good thing to do is to review ones own posts and check if they are all parts of arguments.
Good rules. I hope everyone follows, including the makers of the said rules.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,212,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I agree with all of the above. I'd also agree that the NoVA section of City-Data has possibly the most considerate atmosphere of any (virtual) place I've ever spent significant time online (including other C-D subforums!). Maybe partly because we tend to skew older?
Partly because we tend to skew older and partly because we have two really great mods who have been here for a long time.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,623,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I brought up abortion, because among Christians of various types, there is a "spectrum" of views on when abortion is acceptable. Some think it's never acceptable, some sometimes (in case of rape and incest), some always, etc. But "traditional" Catholics tend to subscribe to the absolute ban, in other words, yes I obey or no I do not, rather than "I... loosely do." The ones who say the latter are usually not "traditionalists." That's all.

with kashrut its not just a spectrum of opinion. If you are anything BUT 100% observant or non observant, there are hundreds if not thousands of decision points. Even folks who are VERY observant almost inevitably end up with some inconsistencies. I assume most folks who face an actual decision about abortion do so relatively few times in their life.

A better comparison would probably be observance of lent. I am sure you can imagine how that could be observed loosely, and how someone who observes it loosely, would not fit in as untraditional.

I suspect your equating Judaism to Catholicism is also causing you to misread me. While I do not consider the movements within Judaism to be "sects" or "denominations" in this instance what you say would make more sense if I had said "traditional Orthodox" Within the Jewish world, where Reform is currently the largest movement in the USA, and many are completely secular, my familys level of kashrut observance puts us on the "right", if on the far left of those we would meet in a kosher supermarket. Certainly in the broader community, that we do not eat pork or shellfish, and avoid meat and milk mixtures (however inconsistently) makes many see us as religious traditionalists, and gives us something in common with members of other religious communities that have dietary and other ritual restrictions, who understand us generally better than secularists, better even than some Jews do. Despite the fact that up till now we eat treyf beef. Our positions (where we support our movement) on issues of gender and sexual orientation make us less than traditional = but I find it very odd being told by a gentile that I am not traditional because I eat treyf beef.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:42 PM

"My point was that "religious and culturally traditional" types whether orthodox (or "Ultra-Orthodox") Jewish, traditional Catholics, conservative evangelicals tend to view compliance with a religious commandment to be pretty dualist,"

at least within Judaism, we use traditional to mean something different from Orthodox, or the grouping you describe. If we were talking only of Evangelicals and ultra orthodox, I would use the term fundamentalist (though that does violence to the difference between biblical literalism and the hermeneutical hyperliteralism of traditional Judaism) I think "traditional" catholicism is the odd man out here - only in RC is the term traditional used for the most "right" part of the movement.

Conservadox Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Union for Traditional Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Religion in Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shomer Masoret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Masorti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2011, 03:05 PM

BTW, I am traditional enough, to take seriously Proverbs (we call it Mishlei) 31:30, and to be alienated from our secular cultures ways of judging people by looks. I dont think these things always line up in a predictable manner, esp across different traditions.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
with kashrut its not just a spectrum of opinion. If you are anything BUT 100% observant or non observant, there are hundreds if not thousands of decision points. Even folks who are VERY observant almost inevitably end up with some inconsistencies. I assume most folks who face an actual decision about abortion do so relatively few times in their life.

A better comparison would probably be observance of lent. I am sure you can imagine how that could be observed loosely, and how someone who observes it loosely, would not fit in as untraditional.
Traditional, you mean?

In any case, fair enough. I concede the larger the point, sir!
Quote:
I suspect your equating Judaism to Catholicism is also causing you to misread me. While I do not consider the movements within Judaism to be "sects" or "denominations" in this instance what you say would make more sense if I had said "traditional Orthodox" Within the Jewish world, where Reform is currently the largest movement in the USA, and many are completely secular, my familys level of kashrut observance puts us on the "right", if on the far left of those we would meet in a kosher supermarket. Certainly in the broader community, that we do not eat pork or shellfish, and avoid meat and milk mixtures (however inconsistently) makes many see us as religious traditionalists, and gives us something in common with members of other religious communities that have dietary and other ritual restrictions, who understand us generally better than secularists, better even than some Jews do. Despite the fact that up till now we eat treyf beef. Our positions (where we support our movement) on issues of gender and sexual orientation make us less than traditional = but I find it very odd being told by a gentile that I am not traditional because I eat treyf beef.
Again, fair enough. I didn't have enough time to be more rigorous and specific. (THAT was a joke -- you know, the time thing. I'm sure you get it.) One point, however, I do know quite a few Orthodox Jews who would find your family's level of adherence to be non-traditional. Are they in the minority? Absolutely. But then again, "traditional" Catholics, numerically, are rather very few too in contrast to the vast "mainstream" Catholics who actually practice a very untraditional form of Catholicism.

Quote:
we use traditional to mean something different from Orthodox, or the grouping you describe. If we were talking only of Evangelicals and ultra orthodox, I would use the term fundamentalist (though that does violence to the difference between biblical literalism and the hermeneutical hyperliteralism of traditional Judaism) I think "traditional" catholicism is the odd man out here - only in RC is the term traditional used for the most "right" part of the movement.
I meant "traditional" in the generic, fundamental (hehe) sense, not specific to the (as you'd say) contextualized defintion of "traditional" for each specific religion.

I do understand and agree that traditional in this sense is a culturally, politically and theologically loaded term, so I accept your responses and concede the point.

Be that as it may, I think the original point of all this, in context of home schoolers, still stands.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
BTW, I am traditional enough, to take seriously Proverbs (we call it Mishlei) 31:30, and to be alienated from our secular cultures ways of judging people by looks. I dont think these things always line up in a predictable manner, esp across different traditions.
Re: "judging people by looks" comment, I quote the foremost authority on this method of insinuation:
Quote:
I have attempted in my response to be fair and scrupulous - do NOT take that as my thinking that your inclusion of my comment in this thread was a reasonable or friendly thing. IOW - because context matters, taking statements out of context can be an inherently unfriendly act.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Re: "judging people by looks" comment, I quote the foremost authority on this method of insinuation:

Yes. well you challenged me on my personal religious observance, and have made my familys religious observance and the consistency of it, a subject of numerous posts now, so my usual rule was off.

I DID give the reference rather than the quote, to soften it. And I did not mention you, but honestly spoke of my own position. Relevantly. That kind of POV, from Mishlei, IS traditional, is one of the things my Judaism has in common with Orthodox J, and is something that I would say all the folks in our homeschool community shared, vs what we find in many public schools.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:40 PM

"One point, however, I do know quite a few Orthodox Jews who would find your family's level of adherence to be non-traditional. Are they in the minority? "

I am willing to bet that they know what shomer masoret means, and would understand my familys level of observance to be "traditional" in that sense. Depending on how much they know of CJ, and WHICH C Jews they know, they might be surprised at just HOW traditional we are for C Jews (or they might not). I dont think most American O Jews use the word "traditional" to mean Orthodox, or completely observant.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
. But then again, "traditional" Catholics, numerically, are rather very few too in contrast to the vast "mainstream" Catholics who actually practice a very untraditional form of Catholicism.
I do not consider it my place to judge religious traditions other than my own, as to their authenticity. It would be nice if we had someone from a different POV within the Catholic tradition who could discuss the issues involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia