Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLeader View Post
I have noticed that alot of kids around the DC area are a little bit hyper and not as behaved as kids other areas.
What is the evidence for this statement, other than your personal anecdotal experience, which may be highly atypical? Have you spent a lot of time observing children from various backgrounds, locations, family income levels, religious education, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLeader View Post
Only if you have not lived your entire life in the Wash Area...
I have lived on three continents, about a dozen states in this country and traveled extensively all over the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I did see a slighter difference in kids behavior in public places like stores when I was in NoVA than HR. HR kids were less likely to act out than NoVA kids in the supermarkets. I think HR's conversative parents subscribe to corporal punishment more than NoVA more liberal parents which could explain the difference. As a kid who received corporal punishment I generally avoided embarassing mama in the store because I knew once we got home it was my behind.
I am not opposed to corporal punishment and I have used it on occasion myself (and was personally subject to extremely harsh discipline at home and at school in "the old country"), but corporal vs. non-corporal punishment is NOT what makes the difference in a child's behavior. For most little children, being berated by parents is plenty scary (as my mother-in-law once remarked "if you have to beat them, you may be too late").

What does make a difference, however, are the other factors associated with the punishment such as consistency of application, clear boundaries and, equally important, explanation/clear understanding of what brought about the punishment. Simply barring negative behavior with pain (physical punishment) only in absence of the other factors masks negative behaviors that will resurface with greater intensity when the fear-causing authority is absent.

To your other point: as a demographic matter, behavioral problems are more frequent per capita in Hampton Roads I believe than in NoVA -- but of course, much of that may have to do with the fact that well-educated and norm-abiding parents tend to bring up well-educated and norm-abiding children and NoVA has many more of those than HR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
From what I have seen and heard about the COL in the D.C. area, it seems that very few moms would be able to stay home and raise their kids themselves, due to the need for two incomes.
This is a generalization to say the least. You are assuming that others do as you would do, i.e. maximize income. I know many families locally (most of them religious) who have at least one parent stay home with the children. Home schooling is also very popular in this region, which I think makes a difference.

Regional cultural norms have an impact too, I think, but I don't know how that would be quantified. Do kids in Great Falls and McLean behave worse than those in Beverly Hills and La Jolla? I don't think so personally, but I have no way of demonstrating that empirically. But I do know that parents vote with their feet just as employers and employees do.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,614 times
I don't know generally if kids in the DC area are more disrespectful compared to other places, but I will say, that when I'm out visiting my in-laws in the south (GA, FL, and SC), I RARELY see kids acting out in the grocery store or Target (running, playing, screaming and knocking things over). HOWEVER, when I'm at the stores around here, I see it MUCH more often. I can't say how many times I've been close to giving some kid who's nearly run me over a good, stern talking to (or maybe a good, stern shake ). Seriously, parents control your kids! Nothing annoys me more than loud, obnoxious kids horsing around in the Target, or anywhere that's not a playground, gym, or neighborhood street.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Interesting, I was at Target for quite a while today and didn't see any of that.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
If we are going to play this silly game, I have something much more interesting and combustible: do kids inside the Beltway behave much worse than those outside the Beltway?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Interesting, I was at Target for quite a while today and didn't see any of that.
Visit the Fair Oaks Costco sometime.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Visit the Fair Oaks Costco sometime.
I can't stand those stores (Costco, Sam's, BJ's) -- I'd be tempted to behave the same way !

Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Kids in an area will behave in a manner corresponding to your opinion of the area.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
If we are going to play this silly game, I have something much more interesting and combustible: do kids inside the Beltway behave much worse than those outside the Beltway?
I haven't noticed my kids behaving much differently when on either side of it other than that they tend to party more when they're on the inside.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 43,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I don't know generally if kids in the DC area are more disrespectful compared to other places, but I will say, that when I'm out visiting my in-laws in the south (GA, FL, and SC), I RARELY see kids acting out in the grocery store or Target (running, playing, screaming and knocking things over). HOWEVER, when I'm at the stores around here, I see it MUCH more often. I can't say how many times I've been close to giving some kid who's nearly run me over a good, stern talking to (or maybe a good, stern shake ). Seriously, parents control your kids! Nothing annoys me more than loud, obnoxious kids horsing around in the Target, or anywhere that's not a playground, gym, or neighborhood street.
Wow. To those who have little patience for kids "misbehaving" in stores, excersize some tolerance or at the very least just ignore it! You have no idea what the day is like for those children and/or their parents. The child could have autism or have an attachment disorder (I have a few friends with kids from Haiti w/ this). Should these parents need to get a babysitter to go to the store because of your intolarance? Even if they don't, so what? Give people and, especially, small people (kids), the benefit of the doubt! When adults get frustrated and upset with other people's children it reflects highly on the adult - not the parent or the child.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randr.xyz View Post
Wow. To those who have little patience for kids "misbehaving" in stores, excersize some tolerance or at the very least just ignore it! You have no idea what the day is like for those children and/or their parents. The child could have autism or have an attachment disorder (I have a few friends with kids from Haiti w/ this). Should these parents need to get a babysitter to go to the store because of your intolarance? Even if they don't, so what? Give people and, especially, small people (kids), the benefit of the doubt! When adults get frustrated and upset with other people's children it reflects highly on the adult - not the parent or the child.

umm actually it reflects on the parent and it shows you can't handle your children. control your kids and control your kids' behavior as opposed to the other way around. so many parents give their kids a pass to act out...take time to mind your kids! they're your kids--stop inflicting their bad behavior on the rest of us. really. i'm cool with crying babies and kids who have disabilities--i get that, I've worked in education so I understand certain challenges. but i'm sorry there's no ignoring some 8 year olds (who should know better) beside you playing hide and seek and knocking things over in the TJ MAXX or wherever because their parents are too busy trying on stilettos or talking on a cell phone. Don't these parents worry about them getting hurt or breaking something? seriously, i get really tired of people who don't know how to control their children make excuses for their children's poor behavior. i know plenty of well-mannered kids of all ages and abilities so the reasons for the misbehaved are lazy at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia