Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,751,957 times

Advertisements

I don't care about crime, thats why i'll never live in DC since it's a cesspool with a few nicer spots. From personal experience, people outside Va associate this area as one big lump of land. Say northern va, and they're gonna say "so you live in DC then?" I've even had people in the state do the same thing. Or they'll completely skip the northern part and just say you live by DC. No mention of Va at all. So unfortunetly, the actions of the miscreants in DC affect us as well.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,233,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I don't care about crime, thats why i'll never live in DC since it's a cesspool with a few nicer spots. From personal experience, people outside Va associate this area as one big lump of land. Say northern va, and they're gonna say "so you live in DC then?" I've even had people in the state do the same thing. Or they'll completely skip the northern part and just say you live by DC. No mention of Va at all. So unfortunetly, the actions of the miscreants in DC affect us as well.
So the behavior of young people in Nova is determined by fools in some other part of the country? If that's how we're going to judge things, why even ask a question on the Nova forum? Just go ask someone in some other part of the country. They'll be able to fill you in with all sorts of assumptions. Who cares what the reality is?

If that's the way you're going to look at it, then the actions of gang members in Watts also define how kids in all of America behave. Including kids in Nova as well as kids in the midwest. After all there are plenty of people from other cities around the word who don't know one city from another and who think every US city is like the images they see on tv shows.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Nah, the midwest gets lumped together as corn and soy country, ignoring the fact that there isn't so much of that left in places you'd expect it. Or people have never heard of half the cities in the midwest and just ignore them as if they don't exist. This area though, it's all lumped together as DC. There was another beating on metro in suitland, but as soon as you put metro in there, it's automatically classified DC by half the population. NoVA kids aren't much different than DC. Few schools in Prince William aren't bad, same with Fairfax and Loudoun, but go into a school in the midwest and it's a complete 180, to the point of it being scary and mesmerizing at the same time.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,407,446 times
This would be like people saying kids in Beverly Hills must be poorly behaved because of all those drive-by gang shootings in East L.A.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This would be like people saying kids in Beverly Hills must be poorly behaved because of all those drive-by gang shootings in East L.A.
Never said it was right, just how it is. N. Va, DC, to most people outside this area, its pretty much the same thing. Hell, look at the Pentagon. It's in Arlington, but even the postal service says it's in DC. I wonder how many people know that the Pentagon isn't actually in DC?

Facts & Figures: Zip Codes

Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,163,789 times
Quote:
NoVA kids aren't much different than DC. Few schools in Prince William aren't bad, same with Fairfax and Loudoun, but go into a school in the midwest and it's a complete 180, to the point of it being scary and mesmerizing at the same time.
You are right. Just like kids in rural Iowa and suburban Wisconsin "aren't much different than" those in Chicago and Detroit.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,067,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You are right. Just like kids in rural Iowa and suburban Wisconsin "aren't much different than" those in Chicago and Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Exactly.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:31 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,711,031 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you missed the videos taken in Metro stations recently? Here's one for example, though technically, this is in DC. Definetly not something I see in the news out of the midwest, though I guess that could also mean people there are smart enough not to leave evidence?

Metro security increases after L'Enfant beating - WTOP.com
Ummm, so you just negated your own argument -- you have NO videos of teenagers behaving this way in Northern Virginia. Using your logic, I guess this is representative of the entire Midwest:

Police study video of teen's fatal beating - Chicago Breaking News (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/09/candlelight-vigil-scheduled-for-teen-beaten-to-death.html - broken link)

Old 06-08-2011, 08:13 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,898,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Yes, but they look like they need automobiles to go anywhere. Aren't you against all that nonsense?
As long as they give me a ride, I'm cool with it, actually.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:24 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,163,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
As long as they give me a ride, I'm cool with it, actually.
You mean your anti-traffic principle is out the window so long as you get -- literally -- a free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia