Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM

371 posts, read 799,381 times

Advertisements

HR3288, the bill that contains the transportation appropriations for FY2010 is being voted on today.

It currently contains $4 billion for high speed rail. More than $100 billion has been requested for High Speed Rail Projects across the country.

Representative Latham has offered an amendment that would reduce that to $1 billion.

Please call your representative now. Leave a simple message:

Please support high-speed rail development. Vote no on the Latham Amendment.

Click here to get the phone number for your representative and then follow up with an email.

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2228/t/9625/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1271
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,838,997 times
No thanks. I want Scranton to be Scranton...it doesn't have to be NYC.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,108,298 times
No thanks as well.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,666,647 times
I love NY, going and there and visiting, but I don't need a train to do it. Driving there is still OK for me.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,564,354 times
I worked for a major RR for most of my life and I am happy to get far away from it. If I want to go to NY I will take the train from Poughkeepsie or Port Jervis. I did not move up this way to see trains, maintenance facilities, yards, noise, pollution etc. And, if it happens it will not be in my lifetime.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
I worked for a major RR for most of my life and I am happy to get far away from it. If I want to go to NY I will take the train from Poughkeepsie or Port Jervis. I did not move up this way to see trains, maintenance facilities, yards, noise, pollution etc. And, if it happens it will not be in my lifetime.
I do the same thing, I drive about and hour to Port Jervis and then take the train to the Secaucus Junction and then hop on another train to Penn Station.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:22 PM

371 posts, read 799,381 times
Fine. I'm happy to have the taxpayers subsidize my commute to New York. Let's see, that is almost $60 billion a year in highway spending by the Feds, the 40% match by the states, and then there is the 54 cent/mile deduction that I take resulting in a budget shortfall that is addressed through higher taxes on other activities.

Plus the cost to defend and secure our sources of oil, resulting in a loss of life of American service personnel.

You're right. I'm getting a deal. I should be happy with my car; you're paying for it!

Oh, and by the way, those who think that Scranton will suffer if HSR to New York comes in. Guess again. First of all, only 6% of all commuters in Scranton actually work in Metro New York. Second, you ignore the number of commuters who actually commute from points East to Scranton. In Tokyo, which has HSR, the rail commute limit is about 50km. People would leave Scranton for jobs in NYC. They may, however, use the roads less often, which would mean less wear and tear and less tax money being used for road repair.

Last edited by JoeLeaphorn; 07-23-2009 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,108,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLeaphorn View Post
Oh, and by the way, those who think that Scranton will suffer if HSR to New York comes in. Guess again. First of all, only 6% of all commuters in Scranton actually work in Metro New York. Second, you ignore the number of commuters who actually commute from points East to Scranton.
If only 6% then why the need for HSR service to Scranton in the first place? It would be great incentive for the exodus of more people to NEPA from Ny and NJ and think we are doing fine with their problems already and don't need anymore.

Quote:
In Tokyo, which has HSR, the rail commute limit is about 50km. People would leave Scranton for jobs in NYC. They may, however, use the roads less often, which would mean less wear and tear and less tax money being used for road repair.
We are not in Tokyo and to even compare a city of that size to Scranton is funny. I80 is also a MAJOR artery for trans-america truck traffic and will continue to be, unless of course they start to haul the trash from NJ and NY by train instead of the trucks they use now. Either way we don't want anymore of the trash from NY and NJ.

Quote:
Second, you ignore the number of commuters who actually commute from points East to Scranton.
Who the hell would live in NJ or NY and pay the taxes and expenses related to those areas for a commute to Scranton. That would also imply that there are actually companies and jobs in Scranton.......That in itself is funnier then the Tokyo comparison.

The push for this train is by the people that commute or residents of the states east of us. It benefits them more then it benefits the residents of the Scranton area.

Don't like the drive then don't do it and find a job here,ooops sorry I forgot there are no jobs. I guess the only option would be to move east. I commuted from Mt. Cobb and Scranton to Secaucus, The Oranges and Old Bridge NJ for over a decade and don't miss it.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLeaphorn View Post

Oh, and by the way, those who think that Scranton will suffer if HSR to New York comes in. Guess again. First of all, only 6% of all commuters in Scranton actually work in Metro New York. Second, you ignore the number of commuters who actually commute from points East to Scranton. In Tokyo, which has HSR, the rail commute limit is about 50km. People would leave Scranton for jobs in NYC. They may, however, use the roads less often, which would mean less wear and tear and less tax money being used for road repair.
So if there's not many people from Scranton commuting to NY, then there's no need for this train. But...the train is sure to bring more of the drug dealing trash that's been coming in from NY and NJ.

I have no need for easier transportation to NYC....I'm in NYC an average of once every 3 to 5 years, so I don't care about getting to NY faster...but I also do not want the quality of life to go further down the tubes because it will now be more convenient for NYC criminals and trash to get to Scranton. I also do not even want to be bombarded by people who want to live here and commute to NYC...its ruined the Poconos already, the onslaught of commuters had driven up taxes, crime, and cost of living and has driven Poconos natives out of their hometowns....they've been priced out and driven out by high crime. Once again, no thanks. The only reason the politicians keep pushing this project is $$$....big construction projects mean big kickback money for the politicans....lots of taxpayer dollars going to crony contractors.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
So if there's not many people from Scranton commuting to NY, then there's no need for this train. But...the train is sure to bring more of the drug dealing trash that's been coming in from NY and NJ.

I have no need for easier transportation to NYC....I'm in NYC an average of once every 3 to 5 years, so I don't care about getting to NY faster...but I also do not want the quality of life to go further down the tubes because it will now be more convenient for NYC criminals and trash to get to Scranton. I also do not even want to be bombarded by people who want to live here and commute to NYC...its ruined the Poconos already, the onslaught of commuters had driven up taxes, crime, and cost of living and has driven Poconos natives out of their hometowns....they've been priced out and driven out by high crime. Once again, no thanks. The only reason the politicians keep pushing this project is $$$....big construction projects mean big kickback money for the politicans....lots of taxpayer dollars going to crony contractors.
You and Dan make good points. People in this city don't really care about rail service to NYC. He mentioned only 6 percent work in NYC, that does not justify it. There are no jobs here, so to get a good one I would just move there instead of having to worry about a commute everyday during rush hour. And I don't believe that anyone would actually live in NY or NJ and commute to Scranton, to what? We don't have any good paying jobs here. People are still going to use the highways no matter what, so that's no going to reduce travel on them significantly enough to justify this project. I say, if this was in place already I probably would use it from time to time, but since we haven't had it there is nothing to miss. If it was worth it, it would have been done a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania