Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:31 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You are so right Dan. She has yet to come up with a reason about how it would benefit the region. We already established that only 6 percent, and I can't believe it's that high, commute to NY. And people taking shopping trips isn't enough to justify our taxes going up and bringing more undesirables to the area.
Six percent equates to about 100,000 people. Nevermind the cash flow into our area by those coming in from NYC to just visit or shop here since it's cheaper. Couple that with the fact that good, reliable transportation is a commodity to any area and I think that this is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Not to mention that mass transit is *always* preferable than individual transit environmentally speaking.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:38 PM

Ooops! Forgot. The undesirables will find a way to get here via the Martz bus line. I don't believe that because a train is coming into an area that all of the sudden these "undesirables" are going to say "Hey! We can ride the rails into PA now." That isn't realistic, IMO.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:38 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Six percent equates to about 100,000 people. Nevermind the cash flow into our area by those coming in from NYC to just visit or shop here since it's cheaper. Couple that with the fact that good, reliable transportation is a commodity to any area and I think that this is a good idea.
We don't want it OK. It hasn't been here, so it's not like we're missing anything. Why would people from NYC want to come to Scranton to shop when they have the biggest and best stores in the world there. Come on, you're not serious. If anything they'll come here to peddle their drugs, because the train is a quick way to do it. For this area it's not worth it in the long run for our taxes to go up.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
We don't want it OK. It hasn't been here, so it's not like we're missing anything. Why would people from NYC want to come to Scranton to shop when they have the biggest and best stores in the world there. Come on, you're not serious. If anything they'll come here to peddle their drugs, because the train is a quick way to do it. For this area it's not worth it in the long run for our taxes to go up.

That is a good point. The drugs are transported more convenient on a train than a car. I saw this quite a bit. It is very hard to search a person, so drug transport via a train is much easier.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:43 PM

I do want it. OK? Hasn't been here so we are not missing anything? Ok. So before the arena, baseball stadium, downtown theater etc came in we weren't missing anything either but we certainly have benefitted greatly from these projects. People *already* come here to shop because of the savings! The Crossings is amazingly popular with NJ/NY residents. I am serious. I am sorry to say this but you are really making me doubt the veracity of your arguments when every one of them includes something about these phantom train riding thugged out drug runners. I do think it's worth the increase in our taxes. I think it could really benefit our area greatly.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
That is a good point. The drugs are transported more convenient on a train than a car. I saw this quite a bit. It is very hard to search a person, so drug transport via a train is much easier.

Drugs are also transported with maximum regularity via bus and airplanes, but I don't see anyone yelling for the shut down of Martz or WB/S airport. You cannot base city planning on those who may use the benefits of said planning. That makes no sense. You are basically saying that it doesn't matter how much it would benefit those on the up and up, if "undesirables" use the system we have to scrap the whole idea. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:52 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Drugs are also transported with maximum regularity via bus and airplanes, but I don't see anyone yelling for the shut down of Martz or WB/S airport. You cannot base city planning on those who may use the benefits of said planning. That makes no sense. You are basically saying that it doesn't matter how much it would benefit those on the up and up, if "undesirables" use the system we have to scrap the whole idea. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Here we go again.

I am not cutting off anything. I really do not care. I think if people thought it would be such a wonderful idea it would have already existed. If it does come, I think it would be many years from now, in hence, you and I would not benefit from anything. I can tell you from personal experience that drug transporting on railroads is very common. I am sure it is common on planes and buses and well. I was just commenting that NYRanger's point was valid. If you go back and digress for a second, you will find that I did not say anything about "undesirables". I just made a point about drug transport on trains - which I have first hand experience in.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Quote:
Magritte just doesn't get what we're saying. I have lived on Long Island and rode the train a lot to the city and have seen drug dealers on there and the like, they are there, don't be naive. I still don't see the benefits of the train. She used the example of The Crossings. Most of the NY and NJ people that frequent that have second homes up here and drive up and stop there because it is right off of I-80. I doubt many people would come up here by train just to go there, maybe some, but not enough to justify it. Again, how does this benefit the WB/Scranton area. What is around here that would lure New Yorkers here?

Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Here we go again.

I am not cutting off anything. I really do not care. I think if people thought it would be such a wonderful idea it would have already existed. If it does come, I think it would be many years from now, in hence, you and I would not benefit from anything. I can tell you from personal experience that drug transporting on railroads is very common. I am sure it is common on planes and buses and well. I was just commenting that NYRanger's point was valid. If you go back and digress for a second, you will find that I did not say anything about "undesirables". I just made a point about drug transport on trains - which I have first hand experience in.

Yes, here we go again. I don't agree with you. Big whoop. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing about something. It's not against TOS.

I didn't say YOU were cutting off anything. I said that if we are basing public works ideas on what the "bad people" may do - well that makes NO sense to me. All of our improvements in this area in the past 25 years at some point did NOT exist. I think that's a strawman argument - if it was such a good idea it would already exist. I think I would benefit from a rail service. Yes, indeed, I know I would. I don't know about you since I don't know you or your life. I know you said nothing about "undesirables". I wasn't only replying to you. I was replying to NY too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania